It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• anyone had luck on depo?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-06-2004, 09:31 PM   #1
    tiredofendo
    (female)

tiredofendo HB User
    anyone had luck on depo?

I'm sure this has been answered before but I was wondering if anyone had success on depo provera. I have endometriosis and the doctor gave me the depo shot last week. We talked it over and he said that the only side effects I might have is weight gain and breakthrough bleeding. I read the pamphlet whil I was waiting for the nurse to give me the shot and the other effects listed on the brochure didn't seem too bad. When I got back that afternoon I decided to research the shot and much to my disappointment, all i saw were horror stories. I know most people don't take the time to share their success story but just to ease my mind, has anyone had luck? I had one of my friends ask a nurse she works for if she knew of any strange side effects but she hadn't heard anything. Just wondering what y'alls experience might have been.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2004, 10:52 PM   #2
    mel1977
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel1977 HB User
    Re: anyone had luck on depo?

well, I love my depo. I have been on it for ten years. I for one have no side effects. No weight gain, no depression, no breakthrough bleeding. I don't have a period, but I have been off depo two times (once broken leg, and missed shot. Second, no ins after move to CA) Both times my period started with in a month. Many people have great luck with depo and others don't. You can give it some time, and see how you feel. If you like it, great. If not, you can stop as easily as you started. Good luck to you!

Old 10-07-2004, 11:52 PM   #3
    Alex6657
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Alex6657 HB User

I personally am in love with my Depo-Provera injections! I stab myself in the butt every three months, do not ever have to worry about getting pregnant and NO PERIOD! Which also means no cramps that go along with periods. I think what I like the most is the no period part. I think I started with my shot early in 2002 and I haven't stopped it for any reason.

Old 10-11-2004, 07:50 AM   #4
    sammieP
    Senior Veteran

sammieP HB User

I havent had much luck with depo but i no of people who have and swear by it.
    We are all different, give it a try if you want to, if it doesnt suit you, you can all ways come off it.

Old 10-11-2004, 09:24 PM   #5
    tiredofendo
    (female)

tiredofendo HB User

Thanks everyone for responding. I just needed to hear some people say that it has worked to help me keep my sanity. I don't really care about having my period. Its just the pain that bothers me. I just don't want to hurt my chances of maybe conceiving one day.

Old 10-11-2004, 09:53 PM   #6
    msdrea83
    Inactive

msdrea83 HB User

i've had several docs, mine and my friends', say that using depo for a long time, over a year, isn't good for you. it can cause other health problems. many docs won't come out and say it.

Old 10-12-2004, 02:03 PM   #7
    sammieP
    Senior Veteran

sammieP HB User

I have now been off the shot since march and still no af, i know of people who have come off it and concieved in 3 months and otheres it took 24 months, you have to plan ahead with it.
    Good luck

Old 10-12-2004, 11:05 PM   #8
    barton93
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

barton93 HB User

I have been off of Depo for 8 years and I battled with infertility for 2 years and I still don't get regular periods. Depo screwed me up bad. This is only a small part of what I went through after coming off of it after being on it for 2 years. I actually liked it while on it, but the aftermath was disastrous for me.

Old 10-13-2004, 06:24 PM   #9
    SneakyToast

SneakyToast HB User

I, too, have read the horror stories about depo and made me want to get off of it QUICK!

However, I have had good luck with it. The only side affects that I seem to have had is a little weight gain (no more than five lbs, although that could be attributed to my love of Dr. Pepper) and breakthrough bleeding. After the very first shot, this last about three months, with a little bleeding each day (hardly anything to worry about). After the second shot, it stopped completely and I'm very happy with it.

I like Depo because I don't have to worry about taking pills (I'm a horrible pill taker).

But again, everyone is different and every body reacts differently. Just because someone else had a bad experience with the shot doesn't mean that you will. Worst thing you could do would be to give it a try.

Old 10-14-2004, 11:45 PM   #10
    black_cat1

black_cat1 HB User

I took depo because I forgot the pill too much and got pregnant a few times, depo worked wonderfully for me for the no period/not getting pregnant part, but the side-effects were not fun. I am a person prone to side effect, if it's a common, or rare one, doesn't matter, I'm going to get it X10 so you can imagine me on Depo...I was a wreck, depression, exhaustion, I went from 150 lbs to 180 lbs (although you'd never think it looking at me, I look like I'm about 100 lbs) The weight doesn't bother me because somehow I carry it well, but on top of other health issues not related to the depo it was just too much for me and I decided to miss my august 18th shot. I got a little spotting when the shots were due, that's all, and then about a week ago got my first period since the shot. Nothing too bad coming off it here, but I wasn't on it long. The side-effects don't effect a lot of people, it's worth giving a try, you'll know quickly if it's for you or not. Don't let my horror stories scare you, I've got them for every medication I've been on. I'm hoping things will change for the new one I got prescribed today (good luck with that)

Old 10-15-2004, 12:02 AM   #11
    barton93
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

barton93 HB User

Depo DOES affect a lot of people negatively! But it works wonders for people too. Please do not make that statement so lightly. You experience was great, but for many many others, including myself, it was disastrous!!!

Another thing to keep in mind. Many people do not realize that Depo is also used as chemical castration in sex offenders!!! Knowing that, why would anyone want to inject that into their bodies. Yes, it may react differently in men than in women, but we are all human and we all have hormones running through our bodies.

Old 10-15-2004, 07:25 AM   #12
    misliz

misliz HB User

I have been on depo for 5 years now. Overall, I love it.

I did have problems with spotting for the first couple of months, off and on, but nothing that a panty liner couldn't take care of. For the first 2 years, either right before I was due for a shot or right after I got it, I would spot for a week or two. Again, no big deal. The last three years have been cake.

My sister and best friend are on it, also, but neither have had spotting problems. One side effect I don't like is that I have problems with dryness as does my best friend.

So, I've had a few minor inconveniences because of it, but I am really happy with it. I love that I don't have to worry about its effectiveness when taking antibiotics, as you do with the pill. And I love that I don't have to worry about remembering it every day.

I have talked with several nurses and doctors about it affecting my ability to have children. They have all said the same - it can take up to 18 months for some people to conceive after being on depo b/c some people's bodies take longer to adjust. But, for some people, you can become pregnant right away after going off of it.

Basically, it really just depends on your body and how it adjusts to depo.

Good luck!

Old 10-16-2004, 02:42 PM   #13
    black_cat1

black_cat1 HB User

Oh yeah, dryness was a BIG problem for me too, and for some reason my boyfriend was very much against lubrication, so it was seriously affecting our relationship.

Old 10-18-2004, 10:51 PM   #14
    Alex6657
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Alex6657 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sickofendo
    I just don't want to hurt my chances of maybe conceiving one day.
    From what I've read that shouldn't be a problem.

Old 10-18-2004, 10:58 PM   #15
    barton93
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

barton93 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ImagineLennon
    From what I've read that shouldn't be a problem.
    That is the problem! Reading the pamphlet...........it sounds like a wonderful choice, but for so many women out there, it has been a train wreck after using just 1 shot of Depo.

Please, to anyone out there. DO NOT trust what you read in the pamphlets! Do your research. Speak to as many people as you can that have experienced it first hand!

It took me 2 years to conceive after Depo.........and the only reason I conceived is because I went on fertility drugs. My friend was on it for a year, and it took her 8 years to get pregnant! It seems so good when you are on it, but that can all change when you decide to have a child! Just keep that in mind.

I'm not trying to make choices for anyone. I'm just trying to relay the information that it doesn't work like it should for everyone. I'm the proof as well as many many women out there. There are also many many women out there that it has been great for. But, are you willing to take that 50/50 chance?

Closed Thread