It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• BCP's and Erythema Nodosum

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-12-2004, 10:45 PM   #1
    Candice561

Candice561 HB User
    BCP's and Erythema Nodosum

Hey everyone,
    A while back I started BC *I would say just after New Years this year* and about 3 months later I started to have these nasty swollen bumps on my legs that i found out to be something called Erythema Nodosum which is basically an allergic reaction to oral contraceptive *or so my doctor told me*
    He basically said I'm screwed when it comes to taking oral contraceptive because no matter which brand I take *I was using Marvelon* I would still end up with the huge swelling bumps...

Has anyone else ever heard of this reaction with birth control? It was TERRIBLE... and could anyone else recommend something else that I could possibly use? I was thinking about maybe getting a IUD implanted... but I've heard that it is terribly painful for women who havent had children. I'm in a mutually monogamous, stable relationship and am not worried about STD's because my partner and I have only been with eachother and always wear condoms anyways.

Any help would be wonderful! Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2004, 09:55 AM   #2
    bordrgrl
    Inactive
    (female)

bordrgrl HB User
    Re: BCP's and Erythema Nodosum

I'm a huge fertility awareness fan. I wish my periods would cooperate so I could actually use it It does take education and diligence. Like any method, it is what you make of it. But assuming you are diligent it is 98-99% effective. Taking Charge of Your Fertility is a good resource if you are interested.

Old 10-13-2004, 11:28 AM   #3
    littlegreek25
    Inactive

littlegreek25 HB User
    Smile Re: BCP's and Erythema Nodosum

I've heard that getting an IUD is more painful for some women than others. Some say it didn't hurt at all, and some say it hurt, but only for a few seconds. There are two different kinds of IUD's (I don't know if you knew that). One is called Mirena (with hormones), and the other is Paraguard (without hormones). Mirena is effective for five years, and Paraguard is effective for ten years. If you do decide to get one, you might want to ask the doctor to leave the strings a little longer when they cut them. From what I understand, if they are cut too short, your partner might be able to feel them during intercoursre, and it could actually be a little painful for him. It also makes it harder to remove the IUD. If at anytime you decide you want to have children, you just have the IUD removed and your fertility should return right away. Just so you know, some doctors don't like to give women that haven't had children IUD's because they have a higher risk of expelling them (the IUD comes out of the uterus). I've looked into getting an IUD myself, so I've done a lot of research on them. Good luck with whatever form of birth control you decide on.

Amy

Old 07-19-2005, 08:58 PM   #4
    kaddy
    (female)

kaddy HB User
    Re: BCP's and Erythema Nodosum

I have had the exact same problem! I was diagnosed with erythema nodosum about 5 months after starting a progestin only pill. It was the most horrible experience of my life!! The swelling was so bad I could not even stand up, and it lasted for almost a month. It was terribly painful. My doctor said that it was the type of horomone that caused the disease, and that if I wanted to start taking birth control again, to make sure that I tried a pill with different types of horomones. He recommended a low dose combination pill, such as Loestrin. I am just to afraid of another EN flare up, so my husband and I have been using condoms. I think I will try the pill again in a few months. I just need to build up some courage first!! I hope that you find a pill that works, and never have to experience EN again, but if you do, ask your doctor for a corticosteriod. It worked wonders if you experience severe ankle swelling. Good luck!

Closed Thread