It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• Does Birth Control effect your relationship?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-24-2004, 08:45 PM   #1
    dd annie
    (female)

dd annie HB User
    Does Birth Control effect your relationship?

Does Birth Control effect your relationship? I am having such bad luck with birth control and tried several kinds and they either make me a physco, or just no interest whatsoever in sex, or weight gain, and worse of all, headaches and numbness of the left hand and arm.

I asked if it effects your relationship because today my husband commented that I have been a mental case in the 4 years we've been together. (just recently got off the pills)

I know it's the pills.

Annie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2004, 08:58 PM   #2
    bordrgrl
    Inactive
    (female)

bordrgrl HB User
    Re: Does Birth Control effect your relationship?

YES! My b/f hates the pill and what it does to me (mood swings, nausea, migraines). And he's a doctor and really doesn't like the risks of it. But I have to be on it right now for medical reasons. We used fertility awareness in the past and are looking forward to using it again in the future.

Old 10-25-2004, 11:50 AM   #3
    CarribeanGirl

CarribeanGirl HB User

I never knew that birth control could cause mood swings until I came to this site but I can definetly say that the monthly headaches I get when I have my period affect ME. And people close to me suffer because I' m in pain...

Old 10-25-2004, 12:56 PM   #4
    FaithfulyWaiting

FaithfulyWaiting HB User

I HATED being on the pill, because it totally killed my interest in sex.. and it made me very dry... within a week of coming off the pill it was back to normal. I will never go back on the pill again.

Old 10-25-2004, 01:00 PM   #5
    sparga00

sparga00 HB User

[QUOTE=hbannie]Does Birth Control effect your relationship? I am having such bad luck with birth control and tried several kinds and they either make me a physco, or just no interest whatsoever in sex, or weight gain, and worse of all, headaches and numbness of the left hand and arm.

when you say that you have tried several kinds, you mean several kinds how? the pills? or the patch and others?

Old 10-25-2004, 01:22 PM   #6
    Dakota
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Dakota HB User

I was on a P.O.P before I got pregnant.....and no it didn't effect me relationship wise cause I didn't ahve the added estrogen!

Old 10-25-2004, 06:54 PM   #7
    Moxy

Moxy HB User

I must agree, additional hormones/birth control have made my life a little difficult. On the other hand, the piece of mind of not experiencing an unplanned pregnancy makes it worth it. I would never forgive myself if I didn't do everything in my power to prevent that and condoms have never felt reliable to me.

The moodiness took me a while, currently I am using the Nuva Ring and I have great success with this for some reason. I definitely have had my share of crap with the mood swings, thank God for understanding friends & family. As for the depleted sex drive that someone else mentioned, I have combatted that by reading something sexy or finding erotica that was right for me.

On a final note, WHERE IS THE MALE EQUIVALENT of oral contraceptives?! I hear that this has been approved elsewhere in the world and will be going to market soon, hopefully the FDA will get to work on this.
    My man says that he would gladly take an oral contraceptive and I believe he would have no choice!!!

Take care, remember why we take birth control and find the one that's right for you, the risks vs. rewards should be clear if it's a good thing.

Old 10-25-2004, 07:26 PM   #8
    Tweets

Tweets HB User

Yes it effected my relationship-- And I didn't notice it till I got off the pill and back on to realize that is KILLS the sex Drive and man o man was I emotional!! U R Not alone!

Old 10-25-2004, 07:37 PM   #9
    Mary Christmas

Mary Christmas HB User

My boyfriend and I actually broke up because of BCP's. I went on it for him because we had been together for 3 years and didn't want to use condoms anymore...I started on EstroStep and about 3 months on it I started to lose my mind!!! I became paranoid and extremely emotional! He couldn't take it anymore and we broke up...I switched pills and this time around I've been SO much better! We got back together 4 months later (and still going strong). It's calmed my mood swings (depression etc) however what used to be the healthiest sex drive I've ever had (yeah, I was SO horny), since going on the pill, I've had hardly any libido! I have sex just to make him happy sometimes! The only good thing about the pill (in my opinion) is not having to use condoms!!!

Closed Thread