It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• side effects of Ortho Tri Cyclen

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-05-2004, 07:47 PM   #1
    painted_devil
    (female)

painted_devil HB User
    side effects of Ortho Tri Cyclen

I've been on Ortho Tri for quite some time now (more than six months) and I didn't experience any obvious side effects at the beginning. I have always had horrible headaches, and they actually subsided when I began using the pill. I was depressed prior to using the pill, and didn't experience it again. Until recently.

A few months ago I felt like crawling under a rock and dying. I became depressed, anxious, and I began having stomach problems (read: I had bad gas, abnormal stool, etc) and then my headaches began coming back full force.

I went to my doctor, but she figured the issues were stress related and put me on Zoloft. Which, for the record, I never took. I took it for depression and wanted nothing to do with it again. Well, I'm not having the anxiety attacks, and my stomach issues are next to gone, but now I'm constantly eating (due to being hungry practically 24/7), gaining weight, and experiencing horrendous headaches.

Could this be an effect of the Ortho? Maybe I had some hormonal changes and this is causing side effects?

Last edited by painted_devil; 12-05-2004 at 07:48 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2004, 12:10 PM   #2
    Kootie Pie
    (female)

Kootie Pie HB User
    Re: side effects of Ortho Tri Cyclen

Your story is really weird and sounds like mine. Maybe we can help eachother out. umm I was on Aleese, I started having medical problems (going to the bathroom a lot, weight loss etc..) so he put me on TrYCyclen thinking that maybe I needed a stronger pill. I had stress and anxiety, and could probably be depressed as well. Turns out (found out 3 weeks ago) I have IBS. Still on the same pill, symptoms still there, still feel not myself, and no one can seem to help me or let me know what I should be doing so I don't feel this way. I still haven't gained any weight back, and like you I am constantly hungry as well. I don't about you, but with me I can't eat the regular 3 meals a day, cause I can't eat that much in one sitting. But I eat all day (like a handful of something at 1 and then some more around 2 etc...) So maybe it's from the pill, and that's why I feel like this. Hopefully someone else can write back and fill us in on this. I have 2 more postings under the Irritable Bowel Syndrome one, if you (or anyone else) is interested. You may have IBS like me (or so they say)

Old 12-08-2004, 07:46 PM   #3
    MilkNWheat

MilkNWheat HB User

I'm currently on Ortho Try Cyclen and I have been for years... everything was great until about 1yr ago. I switched jobs stayed on the same pill gained tons of stressed and MAJOR MOOD SWINGS. I will be ready to put someones head in the wall for saying "I don't like your shirt" one min. and ready to cry like a baby who's candy was taken the next. My GYN mentioned the hormons in the Ortho Try Cyclen might be too much for my body and that I should switch... problem is the insurnace company won't cover much so now I'm going to try Ortho Tri Cyclen LO and I hope that helps.

I wish you two luck!

Old 12-09-2004, 06:47 AM   #4
    jc1234

jc1234 HB User

i recently jus got back on ortho from being a couple of months on generics and im finally maybe back to normal just the 1st month back on ortho the only problem i had my boobs were major sensitive my sex drive coming back slowly cuz on the generics i lost my sex drive my face was bad with pimples now its finally clearing
    my mood swings so so coming back to normal somewhat on generics i was a time bomb.

Old 12-09-2004, 11:21 AM   #5
    BJM04
    Veteran
    (female)

BJM04 HB User

so do u think teh generics werent as good or better/?

Old 12-24-2004, 12:50 PM   #6
    painted_devil
    (female)

painted_devil HB User

I can't eat the three meals a day. If I eat breakfast and lunch, I can't do dinner. If I don't do breakfast, I can do dinner. I'm ALWAYS hungry, and if I'm not extra careful I gain weight really fast. But I lose it really fast too. I talked to my doctor and she told me to do a diary sort of thing about what I eat and how my days are effected by headaches and stomach issues, etc. I have another appointment in a few weeks and we're going to go over it and see if something may be wrong, other than stress (which is what she thinks it probably is).

Old 01-13-2005, 03:47 PM   #7
    Havalina
    (female)

Havalina HB User

I have been on OTC for 9 years. Today I had my prescription changed to Yasmin. I just needed to try something different. I suffer from high anxiety and have a low libido. Regarding the low libido, I always figured that was just who I am, as my sisters have similar situations. I've been on the pill for my entire adult life thu far. I always swore by it but it wasn't until recently that I put two and two together. What a pain it is to find the formula that is right for you. It seems like there should be more than trial and error.

Old 01-14-2005, 06:43 AM   #8
    loralei
    (female)

loralei HB User

I had a similar experience with OrthoT. I couldn't wear my contacts, I got really fat (some water weight, but I couldn't stop eating either), I cried all the time, had trouble sleeping, got all kinda of freckles, and FREAKED about weird stuff. Like I thought that I had an indentation on the bottom of my nose that wasn't always there. So I was flipping out and asking people if this indent was always on my nose. I proceeded to totally lose control and cried and freaked and I really scared my family. All of this about my silly nose! So no more ortho after this.

It was my first pill and turns out it's actually one of the stronger ones. Looking back, I should have asked for a low estrogen one.

Old 01-20-2005, 02:21 PM   #9
    kerry403
    (female)

kerry403 HB User

Well, I am taking cyclessa & I'm feeling a few of the same side effects as you. I am also CONSTANTLY hungry. I mean, I could eat & 30 minutes later not only could I eat, but my stomach is growling so loud that others can hear it. I am sooooo tired & withdrawn most of the time. I swear I could sleep standing up. My body aches all the time but my headaches are getting worse. I hope that you can find a pill that helps you. Lord knows I'm trying to find the right one!

Old 01-22-2005, 01:59 PM   #10
    Kootie Pie
    (female)

Kootie Pie HB User

I'm the same way. And to painted devil I'm the same way with the eating thing too. I basically munch all day cause I can't eat a whole complete meal. And then like 30 minutes later i'm hungry again as well. And the grumbling in my stomach... i've never heard anything so loud. I've been off the pills for 1 month and 2 weeks now cause I can't afford to buy them. Nothing has changed. I'm still always hungry, haven't gained any weight (I'm still 111lbs) , no sex drive, stressed, depressed, irritable, tired all the time, I just don't feel like myself. I thought at first it was the pills too, but I've been off them for a little while now.... I don't know. Maybe there just not out of my system yet

Old 01-22-2005, 03:52 PM   #11
    d_dixiechick
    (female)

d_dixiechick HB User

Wow, this is such an interesting thread. I have been on TriCyclen for just under two years and Diane 35 before that, both with minimal side effects. Recently though I have been absolutely baffled by the change in my mood. At times I just want to do nothing but crawl under the covers and hide. Now reading this, I think I should be heading to the doctor to see if the pill has something to do with it.

-L

Closed Thread