It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• spotting/early period- should I skip sugar pills?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-06-2004, 04:22 PM   #1
    tanisleek
    (female)

tanisleek HB User
    Unhappy spotting/early period- should I skip sugar pills?

I started ortho try lo almost exactly one year ago. Before starting the pills, my period was basically regular all around. However, after I strarted it has become out of wack from the 1st month on- from very lighy/ non existant or late to very heavy and some even start about a week before I start the plecebo pills. I have talked to my doctors/nurses 3 times about my problems and they just say "that happens". Late last month, I had an week and a half early period and was told to continue the pills, but as soon as I get to the sugar pills, to trash them and start with a new pack. I did this and I had about 5 days with no bleeding, but after these 5 days, I started to spot light brown mucus (I have never spotted before) and today, about 8 days after the spotting began, I started to actually bleed like a normal period. This "period" is still 6 days before I start my sugar pills though. I have taken a pregnancy test, because I am very peranoid and it came back negative, so I am not at all worried about that. I also have not missed any pills and have taken them about the same time every night.
    I had a gyno appointment last month and the doctor decided to switch my pills, but told me that she thinks my "periods" will remain the same, and that it's natural... However, I should start the pack in about 2 weeks, but I was wondering if: 1) I should skip the sugar pills and go straight to the new pack, 2)what is going on with me, and 3) if anyone has any ideas? Thank you!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2004, 04:40 PM   #2
    bordrgrl
    Inactive
    (female)

bordrgrl HB User
    Re: spotting/early period- should I skip sugar pills?

Skipping the placebos on triphasic pills often doesn't work. I'm surprised your doc made you suffer so long? And just because you have breakthrough bleeding on one pill doesn't mean it will happen on another.
    So you are starting a completely different pill in 2 weeks? I'd definitely take the placebos before switching. Otherwise you will most likely get stuck with more breakthrough bleeding.

Old 12-06-2004, 06:03 PM   #3
    Rms11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Rms11 HB User
    Re: spotting/early period- should I skip sugar pills?

Yeah, I tried skipping a period on ortho-tricyclen lo and got my period anyway and it lasted like 10 days.

Closed Thread