It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• question about depo and the pills

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-12-2005, 05:15 AM   #1
    katie87

katie87 HB User
    Question question about depo and the pills

Im 18 years old and I have been on depo for almost 3 years. My next shot is in feb, and I wanted to know....I'm switching to the pille because I have heard so many horror stories about the shot...Well I have also heard that some women have problems getting pregnant after the shot and I wanted to know what are the chances of me having problems getting pregnant in the future? Also when you go on the pills how long does it take for it to leave your body? example- I take it for at least a month then I stop. What are the chances of me getting pregnant after I discontinue the pills? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2005, 11:46 AM   #2
    GLSheridan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GLSheridan HB User
    Re: question about depo and the pills

It can take up to a year to be able to get pregnant after using the shot.

Women have gotten pregnant after using the pill in as little as 1 month. Typically, it takes about 3 months though.

Old 01-12-2005, 08:51 PM   #3
    lil_jc
    (female)

lil_jc HB User

Now if I've taken the shot twice will it take me a year before I can get pregnant??

Old 01-13-2005, 08:28 AM   #4
    GLSheridan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GLSheridan HB User

It might take a year to become pregnant. Or, you may get pregnant right away. There isn't a "set" time limit.

But, traditionally, it takes quite a few months for women to get pregnant after using the shot.

Old 01-13-2005, 08:55 AM   #5
    Blastoff9600
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User

Actually that isnt true in some cases it can take years to get pregnat after stopping Depo. I aught to know because I fell in that area and so have several other women I know. It is sad to know that my choice of birth cotnrol after the birth of my first son screwed up my body to the point that I need help to get pregnant. To put it simply my last Depo shot was Oct 22,1996 and I didnt get pregnant with my second son until Feb of 2000. So much for the idea that it can take up to 18 months for fertility to return. I saw many doctors in those years and each one told me I was not the first they had seen after Depo and I wouldnt be the last. One of my closest friends took over 8 years to get pregnant after Depo. She also had a child before Depo and no problems conceiving her(matter of fact that child was a pill baby).
    I had no fertility issues before depo and was a healthy young woman. During and after Depo that is another story. Do a search of the boards and you will find many other women who werent so lucky with Depo both during and after.
    Another thing just because the FDA doesnt list infertility problems becuase of Depo doesnt mean their arent any. Look over the the years and the warning and side effect list has gotten longer with the more time Depo has been on the market. In China a higer dose of Depo is used to sterilize the women. The FDA is fallible simply because they are human just like the rest of us.
    TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 01-13-2005, 12:14 PM   #6
    barton93
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

barton93 HB User

It took me 2 years to conceive after the shot, and that was with the help of Clomid because my menstrual cycle never returned. I have been off of the shot for 8 years now and my menstrual cycle is still messed up. I went on the shot after the birth of my 1st child. I never had even a late period prior to the shot, and obviously no problem getting pregnant (I got pregnant the 1st month of trying prior to Depo). Now, everything is different.

Old 01-13-2005, 01:25 PM   #7
    sammieP
    Senior Veteran

sammieP HB User

Blastoff9600 is right - it can take longer than a year to concieve after being on depo, it depends on the individual body, i have heard of people still trying and they are on year 6 of being off depo.

They also use depo to castrate sex offenders so if it does that to men think of what it is doing to our bodies!

I am currently awaiting blood results to see if i am ovulating and if i am not they will concider laporoscopy (sp?) and or clomid, i all ways assumed that getting pregnant would be easy which is why i went on depo - NEVER AGAIN, the problems are just not worth it!

Last edited by sammieP; 01-13-2005 at 01:28 PM.

Old 01-14-2005, 06:45 AM   #8
    katie87

katie87 HB User

Would it make a difference since I'm younger? I went on it when I was 15 and Im I'll be 18 tomorrow. If it helps I do start to bleed like a week before my next shot. Its a different color sorta brownish....So Since I do still bleed EVERYTIME a week before my next shot I don't think I should have a problem...It never happens before or after only a week before! I hope I'll be one of those lucky people who haven't had any problems with getting pregnant after the shot!!!! Thanks

Closed Thread