It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• Bloodclots w/ period while on Pill

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-06-2005, 07:42 PM   #1
    rush_rulz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rush_rulz HB User
    Bloodclots w/ period while on Pill

Anyone else notice heavy blood clotting while on their bc pill? I have been on yasmin for 1 year and before that, for almost 2 years, Alesse. My dr told me that the bleeding every month is not menstrual in nature, it is just breakthrough well, I got to thinking if that's the case why the heavy clotting? Just about every month I bleed a few big clots, and, I still cramp all the time and what's worse is I bleed MORE on Yasmin than I did on alese, I got off alesse b/c of weight gain though, and I can say that finally the Yasmin seems to not be stopping my diets from working, unlike w/ alesse--no matter what I ate I gained about 15 lbs a year while on it.

So, my question is more technical in nature: WHy do I still have blood clots , if I am only experiencing breakthrough bleeding and not real shedding of uterine lining? If you get big clots does this mean that you somehow ovulated and thus are having a "real" period? I was on antibiotics a few weeks ago so I guess it could be possible....

THANKS!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2005, 06:19 AM   #2
    bordrgrl
    Inactive
    (female)

bordrgrl HB User
    Re: Bloodclots w/ period while on Pill

How much your uterine lining builds up on the pill depends on how much estrogen there is, how much and how strong the progestin is, and your own body. What your doctor meant was that it can't be called a true period if you didn't ovulate. The uterine lining just starts to shed from the drop in hormones the placebo week. How big are the clots? Are you needing to change pads more than once every hour? If your symptoms don't improve on the pill that may or may not be an indication that there is a problem (endometriosis, etc) that is still there. Or it could just be that the particular pill you are on doesn't work well for you.

Old 02-07-2005, 11:51 AM   #3
    rush_rulz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rush_rulz HB User

Well I first of all have to use overnight pads every damn day damn near on my period, it used to be I'd use them just on days 2 and 3...now I bleed that much to where I need them, sometimes for a full week but this time around I am nearly done already and I started on Wed evening...however, I cramped for the first full 3-4 days!! (Basically the whole time I was on it)....but I don't change every single hour although one month was particularly bad and I went through 22 overnight pads and then had to go buy MORE....

Old 02-07-2005, 04:50 PM   #4
    rayray9
    Inactive
    (female)

rayray9 HB User

girls ive been on the pill for 7 years and i just did some research and the pill actually increases a womens chance of breast cancer almost 300% is that not insane!!! it is worse if you started the pill berfore the age of 20. i guess in japan they do not market b/c and there rate is 7 % of women with breast cancer and in the states it is almost 30%!!! there are many other side effects and ive noticed just in a couple of weeks how much better emotionally i feel just from stopping the use of it. i suggest you all look up the studies and effects. it is scary that your doctors do not tell most of us. ive been getting headaches for years and it was because of the pill. my doctor said nothing to me. i just ask you to look up on it!!!!

Old 02-08-2005, 07:24 AM   #5
    bordrgrl
    Inactive
    (female)

bordrgrl HB User

Sounds like there might be something going on. I'd ask your doc.

Old 02-08-2005, 08:19 PM   #6
    rush_rulz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rush_rulz HB User

Well that's just it last time I spoke w/ him he seemed to think that soon my side effects as he calls them will go away, but it has been a year already and he seems to think it can take even longer than THAT for the heavy bleeding to subside...

Closed Thread