It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

OTC to Alesse anybody??

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-08-2005, 12:37 AM   #1
Gwen67
(female)

Gwen67 HB User
OTC to Alesse anybody??

Hi there!

I need help with switching my birth control brand...
I have been on Ortho Tri-Cyclen for about 9 months now and been relatively pleased with it (have experienced no side effects)....until i read the thread about OTC and depression. This made me think maybe my birth control is responsible for the more "downward" moods i've noticed in the last 6-7 months!
Other than this my only real qualm with OTC is that it is a triphasic pill and therefore makes it difficult to skip periods with.

Soo, my question is about Alesse. I was thinking of switching to it b/c it's a monophasic pill so i could skip my periods with it.....BUT now i've been reading about so many people who have had weight gain, breakthrough bleeding, and skin problems on Alesse.
I know everyone is going to be different on different pills, but is it very likely that i will experience side effects on Alesse if i had none with OTC ?? (i also have never had any problems with periods/cramps/pms or my skin)
Has anybody switched from OTC to Alesse? Or actually any other pill with low side effects?

Thanks for your help!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2005, 03:21 PM   #2
GLSheridan
Senior Veteran
(female)

GLSheridan HB User
Re: OTC to Alesse anybody??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwen67
Hi there!

I need help with switching my birth control brand...
I have been on Ortho Tri-Cyclen for about 9 months now and been relatively pleased with it (have experienced no side effects)....until i read the thread about OTC and depression. This made me think maybe my birth control is responsible for the more "downward" moods i've noticed in the last 6-7 months!
Other than this my only real qualm with OTC is that it is a triphasic pill and therefore makes it difficult to skip periods with.

Soo, my question is about Alesse. I was thinking of switching to it b/c it's a monophasic pill so i could skip my periods with it.....BUT now i've been reading about so many people who have had weight gain, breakthrough bleeding, and skin problems on Alesse.
I know everyone is going to be different on different pills, but is it very likely that i will experience side effects on Alesse if i had none with OTC ?? (i also have never had any problems with periods/cramps/pms or my skin)
Has anybody switched from OTC to Alesse? Or actually any other pill with low side effects?

Thanks for your help!!

There is no way to tell if a certain pill will cause the undesireable side effects. You just have to try it.

ALso, there is a difference between true depression and the standard moodiness that the pill can cause. Just make sure you aren't confusing the two. General moodiness isn't a great reason to switch pills, when you aren't experiencing any other side effects.

Old 02-10-2005, 05:10 PM   #3
rayray9
Inactive
(female)

rayray9 HB User

well ihave been on ortho tricyclen for 7 years. when i hit 20 i started to notice that im not as fun going and very moody. and it depends for some people. it was an issue to get of it for it would interfear with my marriage. i would freak when i should have just been annoyed. things like that. i have only been off of them for 1 1/2 weeks and i feel happier more easy going. i hate the pill. it was good for my teenage years but your body changes every 7 years and i think thats when i had effects from it. well if you think your moods effect any kind of relationship then i would change. no need to put stress on yourself and the people you love. it may seem like it is only a little thing but i tell you i feel so much better being myself. iwas not depressed but i was sure as hell moody...

Old 02-13-2005, 11:29 AM   #4
Gwen67
(female)

Gwen67 HB User

Yes! that's exactly how i feel! I don't think it's depression, but i just don't feel like myself----not as fun or outgoing and being less sociable and really easily annoyed.
Is it a good idea to switch pills for this reason? What is a better one to take?

Old 02-20-2005, 10:11 AM   #5
Roxygirl
(female)

Roxygirl HB User

I was on Ortho Tri-Cylen for 3 years. I loved that it cleared my acne totally. But I also, like you, had terrible mood swings and depression. I have been on Alesse for a year now and I have no side affects like weight gain, bloating or moodiness. It hasn't helped my skin though like I heard that it is supposed to. But, you said you've never had any skin problems so I recommend Alesse.

Old 04-08-2005, 10:46 PM   #6
mlb77
(female)

mlb77 HB User

I have also been extremly moody and emotional on yasmine and am going to switch to Sprintec which will hopefully help. Does anyone know anything about sprintec?

Closed Thread