It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• Alesse problems. please help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-22-2005, 11:38 AM   #1
    intoxikatie
    (female)

intoxikatie HB User
    Alesse problems. please help!

I've been on Alesse for about 6-7 months now and up until last month had relatively no problems. However, my last period was very very light. Only about one to two drops of blood. I didnt think anything of it considering my periods were always light to begin with and my doctor said that the pill will lighten my flow. However, I'm on day 3 of my inactive pills and still have yet to get my period but I have had all the symptoms of an upcoming period. I took a pregnancy test last month and it turned out negative. And I took another one just to be safe and it turned out negative again.
    Is it common to have very little to no period while on a low-dose bcp like Alesse?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2005, 12:05 PM   #2
    Roxygirl
    (female)

Roxygirl HB User
    Re: Alesse problems. please help!

I've been on Alesse for a year. I was orignially on OrthoTriCyclen, but I the dose is higher (35 mcg) while Alesse is the lowest on the market (20 mcg). I think Ortho did a much better job of clearing my face so I'm thinking of switching over to Yasmin. But I've had the same problems as you. I barely have any heavy periods...just a few drops. And I'm never on the pill schedule-- I don't get my periods on the right day and sometimes I feel like I'm going to get my period (breats are sore, moody) but I don't. But, yeah, I asked my doctor and it IS common to have just a little period while on Alesse. But if you are getting breakthrough bleeding a lot then the dose could be too low for you. I heard that if you are over 150-160 lbs then it might be TOO low of a dose. Hope this helps!

Old 02-23-2005, 06:47 AM   #3
    intoxikatie
    (female)

intoxikatie HB User

Thanks so much.
    I was really worried that there may be something wrong with me. I've never skipped a period and all the symptoms were there and I ruled out pregnancy after two tests came back negative.
    I still have yet to get my period and I'm on my fourth day of my inactive pills. But I have some light cramping and breast tenderness.So hopefully it's just another light period.
    did you ever not get a period while on alesse?

Old 02-23-2005, 06:51 AM   #4
    katkat2029
    (female)

katkat2029 HB User

hey roxy is alesse lower dosages than yasmin?

Old 02-23-2005, 09:22 AM   #5
    intoxikatie
    (female)

intoxikatie HB User

Does anyone else have any advice. I could really use it.

Old 02-23-2005, 05:01 PM   #6
    Jenteal
    Inactive
    (female)

Jenteal HB User

Combination pill
    This is the most commonly prescribed type of pill, and contains small doses of both estrogen and progestin. Within this, there are even more groupings depending on whether each includes more estrogen than progestin or vice versa. Commonly prescribed combo pills include Ortho Tri-Cyclen, Yasmin, Alesse and Nordette.

Progestin-only pill
    Also called the "minipill," the progestin-only pill is usually prescribed when women using the combo pill want to decrease some of the side effects associated with estrogen or when life changes (beginning to nurse a child, for example) hinder using synthetic estrogen. Early on, progestin-only pills can cause more irregular menstruation than the combination pill, usually decreasing the number of periods for about the first year. Progestin-only pills have seen less airtime also because other progestin-only methods exist that have become more popular, including Depo-Provera and intrauterine devices (IUDs).
    While Nordette (similar to Alesse) does contain less estrogen than Ortho Tri-Cyclen, Alesse contains only 20 micrograms of estrogen while Nordette contains 30 micrograms. As a matter of fact, most birth control pills nowadays contain less estrogen than earlier types of oral contraceptives. Comparing estrogen is straightforward since all pills use the same type of estrogen; this makes it possible to compare dosages simply by quantity. On the other hand, because pills use different types of progestin (each of which has a different strength), it's much harder to compare progestin levels across pills.

Synthetic hormones are a much debated topic lately, especially with all the concern surrounding estrogen and breast cancer. Studies are not yet conclusive regarding whether there is any link between the two. Studies that are currently in progress have been conducted only with the higher dose pills (more than 50 micrograms of estrogen). None are in the works for the more common, low dosage variety, /shrug we might not have an answer to this question for quite some time.

Outside of the larger long-term concerns, every pill has positive and negative side effects changes in acne, weight, or mood, to name a few. Many of these effects can be considered on a physiological level. An increase in acne might be countered by a higher dose of estrogen and less progestin, while persistent headaches might be mollified by lower doses of both. Because of the many factors that come into play when choosing a pill, it's important to constantly self-evaluate so that you can give your doctor the best info on how your body is handling the hormones. Telling your doctor you'd like less estrogen is a great start but a more clear approach is either to describe your symptoms or to explain what you are worried about or how you got to this conclusion of wanting to use less estrogen.

I told my doctor that I wasted stronger and thus began years of migraines. I am currently back on Desogen with no migraines but I am thinking that it is causing me to gain weight plus I am having breakthough bleeding as well. I will gladly take the bleeding and weight gain before I take the migraines again.

Jenteal

Last edited by Jenteal; 02-23-2005 at 05:02 PM.

Old 02-24-2005, 04:54 PM   #7
    Roxygirl
    (female)

Roxygirl HB User

I don't know if Alesse is lower than Yasmin. I think Alesse might be lower. I think Yasmin is like 25 mcg and Alesse is 20. But I might take my chance with the 5 extra mcg if my skin clears up a bit better--but then again....I don't want to gain weight again!

Old 02-25-2005, 04:41 PM   #8
    candycane27
    (female)

candycane27 HB User

Well my friend was on Alesse and she told me that her period came really late when she was on the inactive pills so i don't think you have anything to worry about. She too thought she was pregnant and took a pregnancy test that also came out negative..eventually she got her period though so as i said before i don't think you have anything to worry about.

Old 02-25-2005, 05:15 PM   #9
    mekena

mekena HB User

I had forgotten to bring my pills on a trip and i missed 5 days. I asked planned parenthood what I should do. She said that I should wait until I get my period and then start taking the pills. I was bleeding the first 2 days after not having my pills, and then for another 4 days. it is now almost march and I haven't gotten my period, nore do I feel any premestruals.
    is it normal to not get your period and I will just get it later in march?

Old 02-25-2005, 05:27 PM   #10
    mekena

mekena HB User
    off the pill period not here yet

I havent gotten my period yet this month, and I had gotten off the pill waiting to start up agian on my next period. i don't having any preperiod systoms. do you sometimes skip your period the first month you are off the pill?

Closed Thread