HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Birth Control (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/birth-control/)
-   -   depo shot (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/birth-control/259315-depo-shot.html)

CEe-LoViCiOuS 03-04-2005 03:18 PM

depo shot

i'm seventeen and am going with my boyfriend to his doctor this week so i can get the depo shot. i am just wondering what to expect. i know some doctors do an examination "down there" before they will give you birth control. so anyways i was just wondering what to expect from this visit, thanks!

Marblehead 03-04-2005 03:39 PM

Re: depo shot

[QUOTE=CEe-LoViCiOuS]i'm seventeen and am going with my boyfriend to his doctor this week so i can get the depo shot. i am just wondering what to expect. i know some doctors do an examination "down there" before they will give you birth control. so anyways i was just wondering what to expect from this visit, thanks![/QUOTE]
Your going to "his" doctor? I would recommend seeing a gynocologist. Yes you will need a pelvic exam/pap smear. Depo is convenient because there are no pills to take everyday and some people will stop having a period while on depo but weight gain is a big side effect of the shot (I gained 25 pounds). Loss of sex drive is also a side effect.

barton93 03-04-2005 04:44 PM

There are many side effects that people have experienced after using Depo. I would rethink that option. There are other forms of birth control that are less damaging to your body. I myself have experienced a ton of problems since using Depo. I have been off it for 8 years, but I was on it for 2 years. I liked it when I was on it. I didn't get a period at all. But, when I tried to have another baby and found that I couldn't, I knew it was cause of the Depo. It took me 2 years to get pregnant cause I used Clomid. I hadn't had my period return before the Clomid, and it didn't return after giving birth to my 2nd child. I didn't get my first "real non-induced" period til 5 years after I stopped using Depo. I also gained a lot of weight, was diagnosed with PCOS (which I did not have a single symptoms of PCOS prior to using Depo) and I also have been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. Search this forum or anywhere else on the net........you'll find many many horror stories. For some people, it works great and they don't ever experience anything bad from it. But for others such as myself, it has done a lot of irreversible damage. I would definately go for something else if you plan on having children. Why risk it?

poisonfairy 03-06-2005 10:58 AM

i don't like to be a scaremonger but please think carefully before having this. 5 out of 6 people i know suffered terrible side effects. its irriversable (you're stuck with it for 3 months). are you in a long term comitted realtionship? im not being patronising but i had it at 19, 2 weeks later my partner finshed with me and i was left with a half stone weight gain, depression (severe) and had a period constant for 6 months solid. you just seem young for such a choice of contraception.

of course different people have different effects but please think carefully.its a big decision. you may be fine, but if youre not 3 months is a long time.

good on you for being sensible with getting con*****tion. just discuss it thorughly with your doctor or nurse.

i never had an examination "down there" for any contraception. just weighed, blood pressure etc.

Jessica41 03-06-2005 12:31 PM

I would rethink it as well. I had one shot last summer and have had my period almost nonstop. I believe it is due to depo. I have to make an appt next week to find out for sure. Definitely think about it first - the pill works the same way, with much less side effects and regular periods.

katkat 03-06-2005 06:28 PM

Would you ladies tell her the same thing about the pill? She is trying to be responsible and needs to be on something. The depo shot is the same thing as the pill only you have to think of it once every 12 weeks instead of each day. This is very good and prevents unwanted teen pregnancy. Yes with the pill and the shot you CAN have side effects, but 1000's and 1000's do not. Its is the same with any drug. That is why the pill is a prescription drug so that the users will be monitored by a doctor.

I'd like to take the time to say congratulation to you young lady for thinking about what you are doing to avoid unwanted pregnancy. I had two daughters. One who got on the pill and ended up pregnant because she forgot to take one. The other daughter got on the depo shot and she is now 26 and is still on it, and still not ready for babies.

Before you go see the doctor you will want to make sure you shower first. Yes you will be going through what ever woman has to endure. I see a female doctor for my yearly pap. The doctor will do a pap and internal exam which you will be laid back with your feet put in these stirrup type things, then while you are counting the ceiling tiles waiting for it to be over they will insert .....oh shoot I can't think of the name of it, but it is something that will open your vagina up so she/he can take a swab with a long q tip of the cervix. Then the doc will removed that thingy and insert gloved fingers into your vagina while pressing on your lower abdomen. That is how they feel the ovaries I believe. Soon the doc will be telling you to get dressed and you'll be on you way and done for one full year! Whew! Don't forget to make your follow up appointment for your next shot in 12 weeks.
good luck.

jamesonsgurl417 04-27-2005 12:44 PM

hi i had the depo shot when i was sixteen years old. i had to beg for my parents to sign for me to get it. i was so happy when i did. but for the next year no period and i started to gain alot of wiehgt. wich to this day (im 23) i have had the hardest time getting the wieght off. i didnt have a period for 4 years then i needed to be on a hormone in order to have one every three months. (until recently i have gotten it on my own three times ) i have been diagnosed with pcos and i have extremely painful periods. my husband and i have been trying to get pregnant now for 4 years and nothing is happing. I would not even think about it. i know alot of people who have had problems with this form of birth control. and if you want children in the future you should really think twice about the depo shot. you may have to pay for infertility treatments. just to do so.

Daisies4monkeys 04-27-2005 01:45 PM

[QUOTE=katkat]Would you ladies tell her the same thing about the pill? She is trying to be responsible and needs to be on something. The depo shot is the same thing as the pill only you have to think of it once every 12 weeks instead of each day. This is very good and prevents unwanted teen pregnancy. Yes with the pill and the shot you CAN have side effects, but 1000's and 1000's do not. Its is the same with any drug. That is why the pill is a prescription drug so that the users will be monitored by a doctor.
[/QUOTE]

Actually, the shot isn't the same as the pill. The shot contains only progesterone. The combined pill (the kind most often prescribed) contains both estrogen and progesterone. There are also pills that contain only progesterone but they have a LOT less in them then does Depo-Provera. Depo has a history of causing irregular bleeding that the pill does not. Yes, the pill can cause bleeding irregularities but not to the same extent as the shot. As well, the return to fertility is longer with Depo then with the pill, and Depo has been recently proven as causing problems with bone density in users who take it for longer then two years. As well, like was said by previous posters, if a patient reacts badly to Depo there is nothing that can be done, other then wait for it to get out of their system.

Yes, it is certainly an effective method of birth control and is indeed wonderful that this young lady is seeking birth control, but there are other options that don't have as many side effects as the shot. If forgetting pills is an issue there is the patch, or the ring, where the user has to change it weekly and monthly, respectively.

NodiGoiterGirl 04-28-2005 06:49 PM

I saw this and just had to post.
I was 17 when I first decided to be sexually active, with my now husband. I thought, "Hey this is great! No periods ever again!" And I didn't have to remember to take the pill. My friend had been on it and she didn't have any problems at all so I figured why not.
Well, long story short I gained 30 lbs in one year, Had headaches, mood swings, and terrible dryness during intercourse. I thought not having a period would be nice, but I felt like I had PMS all the time. The water retention was bad also.
When I finally went off of it I spotted for six months. But, everyone is different. Many people would advise against it, probably more than would advise against the pill, patch, or other methods.
Yes, it is wonderful that you are being responsible good thinkin'. But, I would definately research your options fully. They are YOUR options.
I wonder why so many people have a hard time remembering to take their pills? Could it be the stressfull world we live in, or just attention deficit? If you think of it as something you must do than I don't see why it's so hard. I have to remember to take a thyroid pill and birth control pill everday. I just think of it as something I must do. Kind of like washing my hands after I relieve myself. And don't most people have some kind of technology that would help them remember? Such as a cell phone or PDA or email reminders?
I just don't get it.
Sorry to get off track. I wish you the best in whatever decision you make. Nice to know there are responsible people left in the world.
Take Care,
Nodi

katkat 04-29-2005 05:15 AM

I think organized people are more apt to remember. lol That word cannot describe me. To be honest the ingredients in all three, the patch, injection, and pill all contain the same drug. I've heard many women on the pill complain of the same symptoms. Sometimes it just takes a while for these symptoms to disappear. Its generally caused by progestin the hormone our bodys make naturally. Certain times of the month it makes more as we cycle. Through the pill, patch or shot our bodies keep the level up kind of tricking the body so it won't ripen an egg each month. I know that is a simplified version but thats my take on it. lol
No matter what it is the users choice on which to use. For a young girl I would recommend the injection simply because the forget factor is only there four times a year. Too many unwanted teen pregnancys out there today.

laomy 04-29-2005 06:18 AM

[QUOTE=katkat]I think organized people are more apt to remember. lol That word cannot describe me. To be honest the ingredients in all three, the patch, injection, and pill all contain the same drug. I've heard many women on the pill complain of the same symptoms. Sometimes it just takes a while for these symptoms to disappear. Its generally caused by progestin the hormone our bodys make naturally. Certain times of the month it makes more as we cycle. Through the pill, patch or shot our bodies keep the level up kind of tricking the body so it won't ripen an egg each month. I know that is a simplified version but thats my take on it. lol
No matter what it is the users choice on which to use. For a young girl I would recommend the injection simply because the forget factor is only there four times a year. Too many unwanted teen pregnancys out there today.[/QUOTE]

nope.. they all have different ingredients. depo has no estrogen. only a progestin. there are so many types of pills, some have just progestin for nursing mothers, but most have both progestin and estrogen... and then in pills there are so many types of progestins.. the patch is made only by Ortho-McNeil, and it has both estrogen and progestin, like most pills.

when you are on the pill/patch/shot, your body does not make its own progestins - progesterone (the body's natural progestin) is made in the ovary (by the corpus luteum) once a mature egg is released. so if you never release an egg, you dont produce progesterone.

The shot has also been proven by the FDA to decrease bone loss in people who take it for longer than 2 years, which is a really BAD thing for teenage girls in my opinion.

The ring has both progestin and estrogen, just like the patch, but its only once a month, so maybe that would be better for people who tend to forget.

katkat 04-29-2005 07:20 AM

all three has progestin that is what is causing the side effects of the injection and of the patch.
darn phones ringing

Daisies4monkeys 04-29-2005 07:28 AM

[QUOTE=katkat] To be honest the ingredients in all three, the patch, injection, and pill all contain the same drug. I've heard many women on the pill complain of the same symptoms. Sometimes it just takes a while for these symptoms to disappear. Its generally caused by progestin the hormone our bodys make naturally. Certain times of the month it makes more as we cycle. Through the pill, patch or shot our bodies keep the level up kind of tricking the body so it won't ripen an egg each month. I know that is a simplified version but thats my take on it.[/QUOTE]

No, thiat is simply not true. As the previous poster said, the patch and pill contain TWO hormones while Depo contains one. Yes, it's true it takes symptoms a while to disappear but with the shot the danger is that since it's given in ONE dose intramuscurally, that lasts for three months, there is NO way to stop if serious side effects occur. The pill, patch and ring have much shorter withdrawl periods, and as such, if a problem occurs, it takes a LOT less time for patients to return to normal. Side effects are attributed to different hormones. For example, spotting and irregular bleeding is attributed to not enough estrogen. This is why progesterone-only methods like the mini pill and depo provera have much higher rates of irregular bleeding then do the combined pill, the patch, or the ring. The hormone levels in the body do not change as women on hormonal birth control cycle, because women on hormonal birth control do NOT cycle. The "cycle" that occurs is not a natural one. The body is making no horomones because it is getting a steady stream form the hormonal birth control. The bleeding that occurs on hormonal birth control is not a period. It is a "withdrawl" bleed, caused by the body's reaction to withdrawl from the hormones when a woman takes her placebo pills. With depo there are placebo pills, but bleeding still occurs because there is no estrogen to keep the uterine lining strong and "in place".

Daisies4monkeys 04-29-2005 07:30 AM

[QUOTE=katkat]all three has progestin that is what is causing the side effects of the injection and of the patch.
darn phones ringing[/QUOTE]

Actually, estrogen causes some side effects. NOT the progestin. The progestin for example doesn't cause blood clots. That has been attributed to the estrogen. There are numerous charts that show which side effect is attributed to which hormone.

jaymekeller 08-04-2006 10:06 AM

I have just decided to get off the depo shot because I was gaining to much weight. Does anyone know about how long it will take me to lose the weight. I have gained like 20 lbs in the past year