It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• YASMIN BCP - panic attacks/anxiety/depression

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-07-2005, 11:06 AM   #1
    VERABURA
    (female)

VERABURA HB User
    YASMIN BCP - panic attacks/anxiety/depression

Hi ladies,

In December 2003 I was given Yasmin birth control pill by my physician for moderate acne. Before Yasmin I had been on two other birth control pills (Alesse and Ortho Tricyclen).

Yasmin did help my acne. However, by March 2004 I began to suffer anxiety and panic attacks as well as a host of other mental/physical symptoms such as:

- obsessive, circular thoughts about dying
    - chest pain
    - trouble breathing
    - limb pain (mainly in my legs)
    - limb numbness (legs and arms)
    - muscle twitches (legs, arms but particularly in my left eye)
    - dizziness/equilibrium problems

I believe that a lot of my symptoms were caused by other symptoms (i.e., I started off having chest pain, which stressed me out so much that it resulted in other physical problems).

I, in total, visited ER three times and overall had an ambulance come to my residence 5 times. Really embarrassing.

Before Yasmin I considered myself a relatively healthy, 20-year-old college student. I had no history of mental or chronic physical illnesses.

I went off Yasmin May 2004 and underwent psychological therapy until August 2004. The panic attacks ceased almost completely in September 2004 after I went off the pill. I do suffer occassional mild attacks presently but not to the extent that I felt them during March-August.

I know that some women have had only positive effects from Yasmin, which is great, but I have also read a host of threads on the Internet--particularly this board--of women claiming to have suffered these same symptoms.

The reason why I am posting is I am trying to see if Yasmin may be harmfully affecting women's mental and physical health. I believe it is our right to know that the chemicals we're putting into our bodies cause these types of symptoms. God knows that I would have NEVER taken Yasmin if I had known it could cause such high levels of psychological trauma.

Please respond if this sounds right to you--dialogue is very important and I am trying to find others who I can discuss this with.

Thanks so much for reading this.

(I also posted this in the "acne" and "mental health" sections of Healthboards, so I apologise if you are seeing this twice)

Last edited by VERABURA; 03-07-2005 at 11:10 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2005, 11:47 AM   #2
    RICH7

RICH7 HB User
    Re: YASMIN BCP - panic attacks/anxiety/depression

That is horrible....sorry to hear you had such a hard time. When did you notice the symtoms coming on???

Was that the only medication you were on?

Also...you are at the age when most of that stuff start to pop up anyways if you are going to have any type of mental problem---so beware of that .....so are you completely better now that you went off of Yasmine???

Old 03-07-2005, 03:06 PM   #3
    miss helena
    (female)

miss helena HB User

Hi there,

I haven't actually taken any other kind of BCP, but took Yasmin for 10 months (finished taking it in March 2004). I too found my mental health deteriorated significantly during that time - everything else in my life was the same. Felt very down, tired, crying lots and bleak thoughts. Went to my GP and she took me off it immediately. Within two weeks I was back to normal! My mother died recently and although it's been very, very hard, my actual mental state is much better than when I was on Yasmin....I'm just thankful I wasn't on them when she died - I would have been a 'mess'....

Seems like these pills can affect some women adversely. I'm now too scared to try any other BCP - I've always been 'iffy' about taking hormones - they run our whole bodies! But what is the alternative??? No method is without side effects. But losing interest in life and wanting to die is NOT an acceptable side effect!

Cheers, Miss Helena

Old 03-07-2005, 09:48 PM   #4
    KrissC.

KrissC. HB User

I had started Yasmin 12 days ago and Within days I started feeling a bit depressed with some mild anxiety.. I know the feeling well Because I have a history with Panic attacks and severe anxiety, but that had ceased. So I Just stopped after 10 days and have skipped 3 pills because I rather it get out of my system them be on it for another month.. I started my period again due to just stopping the pill and feeling very lethargic and anxious.. I am hoping that I will feel halfway normal again pretty soon because I didn't even take this pill for that long. Do u think it was okay just to stop it ??

Old 03-08-2005, 06:09 AM   #5
    h3yd00
    (female)

h3yd00 HB User

I was on Ortho Tri Cyclen, my panic attacks started the day I stopped taking it. If you research the chemicals in the pill, you'll find it alters your seratonin production, which causes anxiety and panic. I'm glad to be off the pill now that I've researched it more.

Old 03-08-2005, 06:13 AM   #6
    h3yd00
    (female)

h3yd00 HB User

Also, have you guys thought about the possibility of a different ingredient being added to the newer batches of these pills? It's a little ironic a lot of women are complaining of the same symptoms, either while on or immediately after stopping.

Old 03-08-2005, 01:31 PM   #7
    btsqd
    (male)

btsqd HB User

My wife is on this drug and has recently gone through a second severe psychological reaction, which I attribute to this pill. Both times, it has occurred when she has temporarily stopped the pill for the duration of her menstral cycle. This seem consistent with H2Yd00, KrissC, and Verabura, where her symptoms lasted almost 4 months after being off the pill.

My wife has exhibited spells of severe depression, both times over issues that should have only given her little, if any grief. The spells were persistent, lasting hours with non-stop crying and sobbing. Two times within an hour, she mentioned suicide. I was blown away. I have been with her over 6 years and nothing like this has happened before, even during a couple of harsh times. She started Yasmin in July of 2004 and it seemed to agree with her well at first and has never caused weight gain. However, after seeing two of the worst episodes of depression I've ever seen in a person, I am extremely worried about the long term continued effects of this drug and whether it could manifest itself physiologically; as well as what, if any, permanent effects it could have. I can relate with Miss Helena (above) because of all the funerals I've been to, I have never seen someone so sad - ever. I hope that my wife's symptoms resolve within the 2 weeks that Miss Helena's did, as its been about 9 months on this drug.

I told her that she simply must stop using this drug, but I don't know if she is totally convinced it is the cause. I can see that it is. The last time she took it was Saturday and the major depressive symptom started about 48 hours and went from 12:00 a.m. to 4:00 a.m. (sleeping hours for us).

Thanks to those that posted.

Old 03-08-2005, 01:40 PM   #8
    RICH7

RICH7 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by btsqd
    My wife is on this drug and has recently gone through a second severe psychological reaction, which I attribute to this pill. Both times, it has occurred when she has temporarily stopped the pill for the duration of her menstral cycle. This seem consistent with H2Yd00, KrissC, and Verabura, where her symptoms lasted almost 4 months after being off the pill.

My wife has exhibited spells of severe depression, both times over issues that should have only given her little, if any grief. The spells were persistent, lasting hours with non-stop crying and sobbing. Two times within an hour, she mentioned suicide. I was blown away. I have been with her over 6 years and nothing like this has happened before, even during a couple of harsh times. She started Yasmin in July of 2004 and it seemed to agree with her well at first and has never caused weight gain. However, after seeing two of the worst episodes of depression I've ever seen in a person, I am extremely worried about the long term continued effects of this drug and whether it could manifest itself physiologically; as well as what, if any, permanent effects it could have. I can relate with Miss Helena (above) because of all the funerals I've been to, I have never seen someone so sad - ever. I hope that my wife's symptoms resolve within the 2 weeks that Miss Helena's did, as its been about 9 months on this drug.

I told her that she simply must stop using this drug, but I don't know if she is totally convinced it is the cause. I can see that it is. The last time she took it was Saturday and the major depressive symptom started about 48 hours and went from 12:00 a.m. to 4:00 a.m. (sleeping hours for us).

Thanks to those that posted.
    That is terrible....how old is your wife? Mental Illness can strike at any time...how can you be sure it is Yasmine?

Old 03-08-2005, 02:20 PM   #9
    btsqd
    (male)

btsqd HB User

Its not mental illness, just a side effect of the Yasmin that occurrs when she goes off the pill during the menstral period. It seems to peak for a brief period until the next month and this is how it has been so far. I highly suspect Yasmin, especially in lieu of the other reports. Age is 24

Old 03-09-2005, 05:26 AM   #10
    RICH7

RICH7 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by btsqd
    Its not mental illness, just a side effect of the Yasmin that occurrs when she goes off the pill during the menstral period. It seems to peak for a brief period until the next month and this is how it has been so far. I highly suspect Yasmin, especially in lieu of the other reports. Age is 24
    Has she been on any other birth control pill before?? Or has she tried to switch to a different kind??

She could already be susceptible to emotional problems and the pill is just triggering it. Hormones are very strange...when you start messing w/them alot can go wrong. The pill can also deplete your body of vitamins...esp. the B-vitamins....so maybe taking a supplement could help also. Just a thought.
    I have had to keep a close eye on myself regarding vitamins and hormones. I had extreme...PPD after having my daughter and have done alot of research on it.

I hope everything works out.

Old 03-09-2005, 07:41 AM   #11
    abmorgan78
    (female)

abmorgan78 HB User

I have just been diagnosed with depression and panic attacks two months ago. I also got on the new birth control Yasmin a month ago. Now, I'm getting worried - If the Yasmin can do all this and I already have panic attacks - are they going to get worse?

Old 03-09-2005, 07:44 AM   #12
    abmorgan78
    (female)

abmorgan78 HB User

I recently was diagnosed with depression and panic attack two months ago. I went a month later to check on how my meds were doing. I also needed more birth control. She put me on Yasmin. Now, I am really worried after reading this. If I already have panic attacks - are they going to get worse now that I'm taking Yasmin?

Old 03-09-2005, 08:06 AM   #13
    RICH7

RICH7 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by abmorgan78
    I recently was diagnosed with depression and panic attack two months ago. I went a month later to check on how my meds were doing. I also needed more birth control. She put me on Yasmin. Now, I am really worried after reading this. If I already have panic attacks - are they going to get worse now that I'm taking Yasmin?
    That is something that you just don't know until you try it. It could help...or it could make it worse...you will just have to take it and see.

Old 03-09-2005, 08:51 AM   #14
    jill30
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jill30 HB User

I have been on Yasmine for 7 months and have never had these symptoms. I am 31 and this is my first bcp pill and I am very pleased to be on this great pill.

Old 03-09-2005, 09:49 AM   #15
    RICH7

RICH7 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jill30
    I have been on Yasmine for 7 months and have never had these symptoms. I am 31 and this is my first bcp pill and I am very pleased to be on this great pill.
    Did you have any side effects at all when you first started it? What time of day do you take yours???And ...do you use a back-up method too???

Closed Thread