It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• my yasmin experience, what's yours???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-22-2005, 10:46 PM   #1
    kay21
    (female)

kay21 HB User
    my yasmin experience, what's yours???

Here is my Yasmin story. I am 26 years old and started Yasmin about 3 years ago. I went to a GYN for the first time when I was 23. She recommended I start Yasmin to help with my irregular periods and SEVERE cramps…I mean SEVERE. Because I just started a serious relationship also, I figured going on the pill would not be a bad idea. When I first began Yasmin, although I did notice that I was pretty depressed, I attributed to the increased acne and nausea I was getting from the pill. After 3 months, the acne and nausea went away just like my GYN said it would. After that, I had no real problems. I did notice a decrease in libido and pain during intercourse (which had never been a problem before) about 6 motnhs into the pill, but did not attribute it to Yasmin. About 2 years ago, I graduated from college with my Masters and started a new job as a social worker. About 4 months into the job, my problems started to get worse. I began having severe stomach problems (abdominal pains, alternating “C” and “D” and food intolerances). I visited a doctor and she attributed it to the stress of my new job. Eventually, I began having anxiety and/or panic attacks when I knew I was going to any function in which food would be involved (i.e. restaurants, parties, movies, etc.). Again, my doctor told me this was all due to the stress of my job and diagnosed me with IBS. A few months later, I started having urinary problems (i.e. urgency, frequency, pain, spasms, etc.). However, all my lab tests came back normal indicating that I have no infections (no yeast, no UTI, nothing). I was referred to a urologist and again was told that this was all caused by stress. The strange thing was that this job was no more stressful than when I was in college- carrying a full load of classes (15 credits), working part-time (20 hours a week) and interning part-time (20 hours a week).

Eventually, I started avoiding almost all social interaction/functions due to my anxiety or frequent illnesses and my once very social life came to an end. This had a tremendous impact on my relationships with my friends and boyfriend. At first, everyone around me thought I was crazy. Now, everyone is starting to think that maybe my problems aren’t stress related after all, but rather side effects of my pill. After I found this site, I am realizing that maybe all of this isn’t “just all in my head” as I have been told so many times. Although I cannot say for certain that all of my symptoms are attributed to Yasmin, here is a list of the symptoms I have noticed over the last three years while on Yasmin and some of you may find commonalities:

POSSIBLE Side Effects (in order from most burdensome):
    -Severe stomach problems (abdominal cramping, alternating bouts if diarrhea and constipation)
    -Urinary problems (urgency, frequency, spasms, pain- however, no evidence of infection)
    -Pain during intercourse
    -Vaginal dryness
    -Anxiety/panic attacks
    -Depression/mood swings
    -Nausea
    -Hair loss

I must also point out that there have been some benefits of Yasmin and they are:
    -regular periods
    -improved acne
    -lighter periods
    -less severe cramps (although I still have cramps)

Does anyone else have any similar problems with Yasmin- especially in regards to the stomach problems, urinary problems and/or vaginal problems (vaginal dryness, loss of libido or painful intercourse)? I am just hoping that someone can confirm that this is not just “all in my head.” Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2005, 01:49 PM   #2
    rush_rulz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rush_rulz HB User
    Re: my yasmin experience, what's yours???

Hi Kay!!!

My jaw just dropped when I read your story--this is nuts! I think that when Dr's tell you stuff is all in your head...you need a 2nd opinion! Let me share w/ you my yasmin story as I am getting some of the same stuff you've got going on and I have not been on it as long as you....But here it is:

I started out back in 2002 on Alesse. I stayed on it until 2004. Now, when my ob-gyn put me on Alesse he told me it would releive all of my negative womanly problems. These were: Bad cramps, and heavy bleeding, and irregular periods, although I always got one every month cycle just varried. He said I'd feel great on the pill. I weighed about 140 lbs when I took my first alesse pill. Now, back then I was stressed--I was in the process of planning a wedding and graduating from my undergraduate degree, and so some of the weight I gained that first year on alesse (10 lbs) was from me--maybe even all ten lbs. But then the next year I got serious about dieting and exercise and even meditated at least once a week, so the stress level while still high at times, leveled off. And then, I gained about 30 lbs.....what the heck! Just like that I went from ok to obese on a BMT chart and felt horrible!!! On alese I was always hungry and felt like I was about to start my period every day of my life...the dr said I would be able to skip my period by taking the active pills the whole month through, that this was safe to do every now & then...so I try it and guess what??? I bleed for over 30 days STRAIGHT and cramp and feel horrible and my skin was a mess and before I had a great complexian! Sooo I fuss to that same ob-gyn about it and he says I have THE PILL for you--Yasmin. He tells me all about how great this new pill is and puts me on it-he said it was new then but clearly it couldn't be if you've been on it 3 years. He put me on Yasmin in Jan of 2004....that made the 2 year anniversary of me being on alesse. So, without missing a beat I started on the yasmin, no breaks in between. I noticed I felt good at first and my acne got a bit better--but then my "IBS" acted up...he, my ob-gyn who originally began in General medicine, told me I have IBS...well, never before had it gotten so bad, just like you I got the D and C alternating cramps and sometimes I'd even have to miss work the D was so bad and it would stirke w/out warning!!! I'd try to keep a food journal just to see if it were possible I was not tolerating foods well but nothing seemed to show a pattern. My anxiety got worse to where normal just run of the mill stressors would send me reeling....I never felt so hostile in my life!! At least on alesse I had *a* sex drive...on this pill out the window it went.And a whole new thing came up: Red ears! My face will get hot and then my ears will turn red, either about an hour before I take yasmin or an hour after taking it and I take my pill at night so as to avoid naseau. My sinus infections, which I am very prone to have increased in frequency....but the do all for me was my teeth...I had went to the dentist w/ a lapse of almost a year in between visits back when I was on alesse. Only had like 4 cavities. Now, I go a year later, a full year of that being on Yasmin...and I have THIRTEEN cavities, almost ALL of which are extremely deep and I've had one of those root canaled and i'm told I will need another out of the 6 or 7 remaning fillings I have left......this is insane! The dentists of course said wow you eat a lot of sugar huh and I thought umm no...in fact, the beginning of this year while on yasmin I hav eaten quite posisbly the healthiest i've ever eaten....I did cut sugar out completely on alesse and not recently, while on yasmin but I do not eat that much sugar AND I've been drinking water instead of soda....I read up on how hormones in bc pills can cause saliva changes and calcium changes in your mouth. My cavities were also blamed on "de-calcification". I put 2 and 2 together and I think yasmin is making me slowly die!! I hate this pill. But my dr won't take me seriously. he says this is the Greatest pill for me, yet he did write me an Rx for a new pill called Apri. I am too scared to take it.

So, to answer your question I absolutely do not think your symptoms are in your head. I think that Drosiperione hormone in Yasmin could be the culprit but I know that while I felt better on alesse, I do not want to gain another 30 lbs as I've only just now managed to loose ten of those this year.....it's taken me nearly 6 months to get that far down!! here are my bad things I've found that I think are due to yasmin, many of which you have:

*the red ears or flushed face/hot flashes
    *anxiety/hostility/much more moodiness than on alesse
    *cramps still w/ period and periods that last like 8-9 days some times--on alese I was done in 4 days...
    *very bad IBS type symptoms as you described, but also a burning feeling in my stomach but I think that could also be due to the pain killers I keep having to eat on a daily basis b/c of my painful infected teeth...
    *no sex drive
    *Vaginal dryness even when aroused
    * Very prone to yeast infections now (first day of antibiotics and I feel it coming on)
    *Numbness in fingers/hand area and toes--Now this isn't a daily experience but it scared me--I got so numb in one of my hands and it just...spreads. Yasmin can increase your potassium levels, this is a fact, so I ask my Dr and he says yeah it can but I've "never" heard of anyone experiencing this. His best advice? Keep taking your yasmin and consult a neurologist b/c it must be you and not the pills. ***?
    *Also, though i've always had cold hands and been very cold natured, ie I get chilled even in the summer, I am now VERY sensitive to temperature in general....like if it's hot I get HOT and stay HOT for a long period of time. Same with the cold and if I touch something that is cold my entire arm will feel like it's freezing off in seconds.

I just all around feel like bad health issues I had before are just made worse by this pill. I've had more sinus infections in the last year than ever before in my life--I know it could be cumulative i mean if I'm around stuff I am allergic to but still it's odd I had more infections on the yasmin than on alesse....yeast the same way.

Well, the only good thing about this pill was the regular periods and the lessening of the cramps but like you I stll get them. And honestly is 45$ a month (how much yasmin is in my area) really worth it, if you still have an 8-9 day period? W/out ANY birth control my periods were very painful and still lasted about 14 days...so for 5 days less I can spend 45$ a month and since I am on antibiotics so many times out of the year I still can't enjoy the benefits of not being able to get pregnant b/c the antibioitics lessen the effectiveness of the Pill. So many months out of the year I waste my time and money paying for and going to pick up this pill from the pharmacy. it's rediculous. Yasmin has not done the magical things my Dr said it would and I've been on it a year and 4 months now...he says I should "still give it time" and let my body adjust...I'm sorry but there is no way it takes you that long to adjust!!

So that's my story so you know you are at least not alone....either that or I am crazy, too ha ha!

Old 04-24-2005, 02:59 PM   #3
    bordrgrl
    Inactive
    (female)

bordrgrl HB User

Rush, I know I've told you my story before but maybe you should try the apri. Are you nervous about the increased risk of blood clots? That is the only drawback really. It is the only pill that reduced my bleeding to a normal number of days (2 1/2).

Old 04-24-2005, 07:23 PM   #4
    paigebeverly
    (female)

paigebeverly HB User

I hate to say this, but I have been on Yasmin for 2 years and I have never had a bad side effect from it. My periods are very light and they only last 3 days, and I have never experianced any cramping from it. And I used to have the most horrible cramps too. I also have perfect skin. If I do get zits its only like 3 a year. And I have never had a yeast infection. I am 23 years old too with a 3 1/2 year old daughter. I am just guessing that certain pills are for certain people. I know I can't take Ortho Tri because all I did was spot everyday for like 4 months then I quit taking it. Sorry for your bad experiances on it. Hope you find one that works for you.

Old 04-25-2005, 08:08 AM   #5
    rush_rulz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rush_rulz HB User

Yes, supposedly yasmin is a good pill and for many I am sure it is--I believe I had some underlying problems and this is why I am not responding the way that I should on hormones....

Hi Border Girl, really I am just afraid of trying a new pill is all, not so much a specific risk or side effect, I just hate buying something that may cost even MORE than the yasmin per month and then end up with more problems...I suppose if I quit this summer, which I am thinking of waiting though, until at least August or Sept. as then my husband may finally have a job, then if I quit and dont' like the return of the old symptoms I used to have, I may try Apri then....I am just scared.

Old 04-25-2005, 09:55 PM   #6
    Lalalane
    (female)

Lalalane HB User

I had to stop taking Yasmin all together and switch to a different pill after being on it for about 4 months. I became so moody, severe breast tenderness, low sex drive, I gained about 30 lbs in 3 months, and my hair started coming out. On top of all of that my menstrual would come once a month, but not regular, and it came whenever it wanted to through out the month. My doctor put me on Mircette after that, and that worked well with little or no side effects.

Old 04-30-2005, 05:12 AM   #7
    Hideout
    Inactive

Hideout HB User

To Rush Rulz -

You are not crazy - these symptoms are typical with Yasmin.

Call your doctor and tell them you want to report an adverse event to the fda (they have to do this!)

Good luck!

Old 04-30-2005, 11:37 AM   #8
    rush_rulz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rush_rulz HB User

Well, me and my hubby are thinking of trying NFP, Hideout--as of now I am not on the yasmin as it's my "fake period" week, but I'm going to skip for one full month and then we'll see (because I am also on antibiotics for a pro longed tooth infection and between that and the pain meds I have to use daily, I don't want to fool with the pills)

Thanks, for the advice though!

Old 06-01-2005, 08:11 AM   #9
    mizvespa

mizvespa HB User

My yasmin experience was not a good one at all. I tried it twice - the first time for 2 months & the 2nd time for 2 weeks b/c I just couldn't last any longer. The first time I tried it it seemed that my appetite decreased and I felt less bloated. It didn't seem to hurt my sex drive either. However, it dried my system out like crazy. My normally oily skin became dehydrated. The worst part, though, was the yeast infection that refused to go away. Within days of going on yasmin, I got the most horrible yeast infection of my entire life that would improve slightly with diflucan, but only went away once I quit taking yasmin. I tried it for a second time & had the same yeast and dehydration problems. However, the 2nd time I felt bloated with it & had major fatigue. I just wanted to sleep, sleep, sleep.

I also want to add that both times I experienced very significant and often rapid changes in my mood. Everyone around me noticed as well. I became extremely irritable, anxious, withdrawn, quick-tempered and almost introverted - verrrryyy unlike me.

Old 07-08-2005, 09:28 PM   #10
    Jenz
    (female)

Jenz HB User
    Question Re: my yasmin experience, what's yours???

rush rulz.

I have been on yasmin over 2 yrs... about 1 yr ago I got a diagnosis of irritable bowel constipation. Was bad... and then gi probelms increased. Zelnorm caused numbness so couldn't take it but Miralax does wonders for the constipation but I was hopeing to keep yasmin.... things get worse I get more sensitive, ive had 3 yeast infections and 1 time bv.. 1 life partner... using condoms too but? sinus worse also... now lots of belching and burping and food feeling stuck..air... so just had upper gi. Sex drive way down, some pain now with intercourse- more dry. I use to be too lubricated! Regardless based on what all i've read, I'm going off yasmin. this was my last week on it. I"m only 27. I'm a nutritionist on my job and I eat well and things still get worse... I hope to get back to normal. I kept it so long b/c I really like the clear skin it gives me but it's not worth my health. U know IBS isn't even written in their leaflet... they should really let people know the real side effects! I hope I can take another pill ... maybe mircette/kariva? Does anyone know if its the progestin or the estrogen that causes the IBS stuff? or are the higher doses better or worse? The Dr's dont really say much. Gastro doc was like "no it can't be the pill." and I'm pretty sure it is esp after reading the posts.

Old 07-09-2005, 07:32 AM   #11
    babygirl2005_21
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

babygirl2005_21 HB User

I can't remember the name of the user that said she gained weight on Alesse but I had the same experience with it. Just like her I started it in 2002 when I was a senior in high school and I wore a size 6. 2 years later I was a size 12! I worked sooo hard to try to get the weight off but it was like cement and it just kept getting worse. Finally when my size 12 started to fit really tight I knew I had to do something! So I got off of them and within 3 months I dropped all the way to a size 4! I was sooo happy and swore off the pill forever and then a month later I developed acne! I had always had perfect skin my whole life so this was a major shock to me but I thought I don't want to go back on the pill. Well eventually I figured out that my breakouts were hormonal so I decided to get back on the pill again. My gyno. prescribed Yasmin so I decided to try it I have been on it for 4 months now and I love it! No weight gain and no more acne! I just wanted to say that so far my experience has been really good. Everyone just has to find the right pill but it takes experimenting and it sucks!

Old 07-10-2005, 06:50 AM   #12
    Hideout
    Inactive

Hideout HB User

The componet in yasmin that is causing the problems is the progestin - drosperione. It's a new progestin so it's safety track record hasn't been established.

Old 09-23-2005, 08:27 AM   #13
    liljo
    (female)

liljo HB User

omg
    wow i have the answers i never thought to link the dots but thank you

i am on yasmin and have suffered with bouts of "c" and "d" and thinking it was food tried keeping a food diary but found no comon links
    sleepiness i just put it down to being sleep
    i figured sex drive might be affected by the pill but now i have a firmer belief

wow yay

lol
    luvz lil jo xxx

Closed Thread