It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• birth control question/new to this

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-24-2005, 06:17 PM   #1
    Tjay718
    (female)

Tjay718 HB User
    birth control question/new to this

am suppose to start taking birth control after i finish taking my allegery pills. I have never took them before. I wanted to know while am on birth control pills, when is the best time to have unprotected sex? Do you still have to look out for the times that you ovulate? I also wanted to know what it does to your body/how does it work. besides the side effects. I have heard enough about the side effects. Another question i had was, if you exercise can this decrease the effectiveness of the pill?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2005, 06:46 PM   #2
    Daisies4monkeys
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Daisies4monkeys HB User
    Re: birth control question/new to this

There are two kinds of birth control pills, "mini" pills (also called progesterone only pills) and the "combination" pill.

There are two female sex hormones, progesterone and estrogen. The birth control pills contain synthetic versions of those hormones. The "mini" pill contains only progesterone, and what it does is change your cervical mucus so that sperm cannot get through and thins out the lining of the uterus so that a fertilized egg is not likely to stick.

The "combined" pill contains both progesterone and estrogen, and it prevents pregnancy by stopping ovulation, changing cervical mucus and thinning out the uterine lining.

THe "mini" pill has an efficiency rate of around 95% for perfect use, whereas the "combined" pill is more like 99% effective when used perfectly. Perfect use is a bit harder with the "mini" pill because you must take it daily no later then one or two hours. If you are more then one or two hours late in taking a mini pill, you must use back up (aka condoms) for 48 hours. With the combined pill, you have a bit more "wiggle room". For example, if you are less then twelve hours late taking a combined pill, they don't say you need backup contraception. However, taking the pill at different times each day will lower its efficiency. It's best to take your pill at the same time every day. It often helps to associate taking it with something, like brushing your teeth or eating dinner, so that you don't forget.

When taking the birth control pill properly, and you are in a monogomous relationship in which both parties are free of STDs, you may have sex with no other form of contraception at any time during the month. You are equally protected throughout the month, including the during the "placebo" week on the combined pill.

With the combined pills, you take a pill containing hormones every day for 21 days and then take seven days of "fake" pills. They contain no hormones and serve only as reminders so you don't get out of the habit of taking pills. During this week, your body is no longer getting hormones to support the uterine lining, so it starts to break down and you have a "period". On the "mini" pill, the packs contain 28 pills,all of which contain hormones. You will generally bleed the last week of pills.

Exercising will not effect your pill.

Old 04-24-2005, 08:54 PM   #3
    Tjay718
    (female)

Tjay718 HB User

Thanx you so much! do you know how long do you have to wait in order for the pill to work? I heard that it just doesnt work right away it takes a while. So does that mean that i have to use condoms until the pills work? So let me get this straight, are you saying that i can have unprotected sex for those three weeks up until its time to take the fake pills I have another question, how is it safe to have sex during that week that you take the fake pills when the body is getting itself ready to have a period. doesnt the egg come down. hold on my fault, only the lining of the uterus sheads right. Iam so sorry that i have so many questions but, this is all new to me. i have another question, ive heard so many stories about people forgetting to take their pill and they end up getting pregnant? Does this make start ovulating again if you miss a pill? is that why people get pregnant? What is breakthrough bleeding?

Last edited by Tjay718; 04-24-2005 at 09:13 PM.

Old 04-24-2005, 09:23 PM   #4
    Daisies4monkeys
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Daisies4monkeys HB User

If you start taking the pills on the first day of your period, you are protected right away and don't need to use condoms. If you start at any other point in your cycle, you need to take the pill for seven days before you can rely on it alone for birth control. They used to say you had to wait a whole month of being on the pill before relying on it alone, but research has proved that seven consecutive days of taking the pill is all that's needed to suppress ovulation. Now doctors generally say to take it for a month first simply to make sure the patient is taking it correctly (ie every day on time, etc).

With the pill, the general rule is seven days. If you miss two pills in a row, use back up for seven days after that. If you're on an antibiotic that effects birth control, use back up for seven days after finishing the antibiotics. Seven is the "magic" number of consecutive pills needed to offer full pregnancy protection. Seven is also the "magic" number in that you can't take more then seven days without taking a hormone-containing pill. That means if you forget to start your new pack of pills on time, and have eight days without taking a hormone pill, you need to use condoms for seven days before you are protected again. BUT, so long as you took all 21 hormone pills before your week off, and start your next pack on time, you remain fully protected through the WHOLE month. That means you can have sex during the "fake" pills without condoms, because the three weeks of "real" pills you took have protected you, and your body needs more then seven days of no "real" pills to ovulate.

The period you get on the combined pill isn't a "real" period. It's actually called "withdrawl" bleeding, because it happens as a result of your body going into withdrawl because it's not getting the hormones. Because of this, the uterine lining breaks down and you bleed. But it's technically not a real period since you don't ovulate on the combined pill.

Breakthrough bleeding and spotting refers to bleeding that is occurs between periods. It can be just a few spots of blood when wiping or it can be bleeding more like a period.

Last edited by Daisies4monkeys; 04-24-2005 at 09:34 PM. Reason: adding a few things b/c original poster edited previous comment.

Old 04-25-2005, 05:36 AM   #5
    Tjay718
    (female)

Tjay718 HB User

thanx so much for the info! i really appreciate it. now, all i have to do is find out which type of birth control i want to get on. Do you any birth control pills that are good. Except for othro tri cyclen lo, i heard so many bad things about that particular brand on the posts.

Old 04-25-2005, 07:00 AM   #6
    Daisies4monkeys
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Daisies4monkeys HB User

It really depends on the woman. There are certain pills that are good for certain things due to the hormone content in them. For example, one pill might be excellent for acne, whereas another is great for lessening the amount of bleeding each month. It's best to just talk to your doctor and tell them what you want specifically, and they'll recomend the pill that they think best suits your needs.

Old 04-26-2005, 10:11 AM   #7
    Tjay718
    (female)

Tjay718 HB User

When I Go To Get The Birth Control Pills How Will They Be Able To Find Out Which One Is Good For Me? Will They Ask Me For Ex. Do I Have Acne, Cramps Etc? Because Am Not Sure Which Bcp I Want To Take.

Old 04-26-2005, 12:13 PM   #8
    Daisies4monkeys
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Daisies4monkeys HB User

Your doctor will take a patient history and recommend a pill. But it's probably best to tell the doctor up front that you arent sure which one you want to take, and ask him or her for suggestions.

Old 04-27-2005, 07:43 PM   #9
    fiveftsmall
    (female)

fiveftsmall HB User

when i first started the pill, my doctor told me that it's best not to have unprotected sex the first month of taking the pills, because your body has to get used to the birth control.

Old 04-27-2005, 07:57 PM   #10
    Daisies4monkeys
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Daisies4monkeys HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fiveftsmall
    when i first started the pill, my doctor told me that it's best not to have unprotected sex the first month of taking the pills, because your body has to get used to the birth control.
    After seven days of taking the pill you are fully protected. Doctors tell woman to wait a month to make sure THEY are used to the pill. That is, that they're taking it right, daily and on time so that they're uisng it perfectly so that the effectiveness of the pill is at it's highest.

There is no reason aside from making sure you're taking it all the time on time to wait a month. After seven consecutive days of correct use, the pill is as effective as it's ever going to be.

Closed Thread