It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• Switched from Necon to Ortho Novum - and now something's wrong

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-05-2005, 02:37 PM   #1
    punkrokchk2000
    (female)

punkrokchk2000 HB User
    Switched from Necon to Ortho Novum - and now something's wrong

Hi there.

I have kind of a strange question: I've been on Ortho Novum 1/35 for about 6 months now (I used Ortho Novum 1/35 years ago but then quit for a while because I wasn't sexually active)...anywho - so now I had to switch over to Necon 1/35 because Group Health didn't have a supply of Ortho Novum 1/35. So it's the second week of taking it...and I happened to miss last nights dosage. No big deal - it's happened before (rarely) and I double up the next day. Well - this has never happened to me before, but I started BLEEDING today! I called the doc and she said to throw away the pack I'm using and start a new one on Sunday! I've never heard of this before...it's not spotting, but it's not full blown blood, either. It's just weird. So I dunno - is this because I'm on Necon now, and it's a different hormone balance? Or is it maybe because of something else? This is just weird and appreciate any advice in advance!

Thanks so much...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2005, 03:14 PM   #2
    GLSheridan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GLSheridan HB User
    Re: Switched from Necon to Ortho Novum - and now something's wrong

Quote:
    Originally Posted by punkrokchk2000
    Hi there.

I have kind of a strange question: I've been on Ortho Novum 1/35 for about 6 months now (I used Ortho Novum 1/35 years ago but then quit for a while because I wasn't sexually active)...anywho - so now I had to switch over to Necon 1/35 because Group Health didn't have a supply of Ortho Novum 1/35. So it's the second week of taking it...and I happened to miss last nights dosage. No big deal - it's happened before (rarely) and I double up the next day. Well - this has never happened to me before, but I started BLEEDING today! I called the doc and she said to throw away the pack I'm using and start a new one on Sunday! I've never heard of this before...it's not spotting, but it's not full blown blood, either. It's just weird. So I dunno - is this because I'm on Necon now, and it's a different hormone balance? Or is it maybe because of something else? This is just weird and appreciate any advice in advance!

Thanks so much...

Your probably spotting because you missed a pill. I believe that Necon is an approved generic for Ortho Novum, so it isn't because it's a different pill. They're chemically identical.

The spotting is most likely from missing the pill. Many women's bodies are sensitive enough to spot after missing only 1 pill.

Old 05-05-2005, 04:16 PM   #3
    punkrokchk2000
    (female)

punkrokchk2000 HB User

Thanks for your help - I figured it was just a generic brand...but I had never started bleeding this soon after having missed a pill.

So should I double up when I get home? Or should I start a brand new pack on Sunday like the pharmacist said? She was confusing me and didn't sound very knowledgable...just want to do the right thing. Thanks so much!

Old 05-06-2005, 06:14 AM   #4
    GLSheridan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GLSheridan HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by punkrokchk2000
    Thanks for your help - I figured it was just a generic brand...but I had never started bleeding this soon after having missed a pill.

So should I double up when I get home? Or should I start a brand new pack on Sunday like the pharmacist said? She was confusing me and didn't sound very knowledgable...just want to do the right thing. Thanks so much!

It seems silly to me to waste a whole pack. Keep taking this pack as directed. Starting a new brand pack probably isn't going to solve anything.

Closed Thread