It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• The pill = weight gain?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-12-2005, 04:22 PM   #1
    BallroomBlitz
    (female)

BallroomBlitz HB User
    The pill = weight gain?

i heard that if you go on the pill, you gain weight.

is that true or just a myth? or is it just for certain pills?

how much do you gain?

which ones keep you from gaining weight?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2005, 04:50 PM   #2
    GLSheridan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GLSheridan HB User
    Re: The pill = weight gain?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BallroomBlitz
    i heard that if you go on the pill, you gain weight.

is that true or just a myth? or is it just for certain pills?

how much do you gain?

which ones keep you from gaining weight?

Depends on who you ask. Even within the medical community, many professionals say that the pill does not cause weight gain, whereas others believe it does. The "does not" theory states that weight gain isn't actually caused by the chemicals in the pill, but by increase in caloric intake and lack of exercise. I know many very active and healthy girls who still gained weight on the pill, though. But regardless, it's speculative.

All pills list weight gain as a possible side effect. There are no "weight-free" pills, however, Yasmin is considered to be "weight neutral" as the hormone acts as a diuretic and helps flush water from the body. But many girls still experience weight gain with Yasmin.

As far as how much, that too varies based on who you ask. Most professionals say that weight gain is minimal, and under 5 pounds due to water retention. However, some women claim they gained in excess of 20 pounds.

Old 05-12-2005, 04:57 PM   #3
    kittywitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

It really just depends on the person. I know, that's probably not what you wanted to hear, but it's true. One pill might make a woman gain weight, while that same pill might not affect her friend at all. It's basically just trial and error, to see what's best for you. I'm on Ovcon-35 and for a little while I had an increased appetite, but that went away. I gained 5-7 lbs. (mostly in the right places, chest and rear ). However, I've been pushing myself with exercise to lose it, as I have issues with weight/body image. I hate to see the numbers on the scale go up, but, that's another board. So far I've lost 3 lbs. Good luck to you.

Old 05-12-2005, 06:23 PM   #4
    SunKissed
    Veteran
    (female)

SunKissed HB User

I haven't gained anything really on the pill. I was on ortho lo and maybe gained like 3 pounds, but now I am on LO Ovral and have not changed my eating habits or exercising regimen and I feel like I have lost weight and feel skinnier! It's kinda cool I eat like a cow too cuz the pill makes me hungry especially right before my period is due on the placebo week! Oh well!

Old 05-12-2005, 06:35 PM   #5
    calgarygirl
    (female)

calgarygirl HB User

I am on Yasmine and I have lost 5 lbs. While I was on Alesse for almost 4 years, I had not gained any weight or lost any weight. I guess everyone is very individual. Good luck.

Old 05-12-2005, 07:05 PM   #6
    jadontusmommy
    (female)

jadontusmommy HB User

I think too that gaining weight on BCP is individual. I started off on Ortho & gained about 20 pounds, then tried another (can't remember what it was) & didn't gain any, then on my other pills i got on after having my son I gained 40 pounds. I think it is individual & may depend on the brand. Discuss your options & concerns with your Dr.

Old 05-12-2005, 07:51 PM   #7
    BHB85
    (female)

BHB85 HB User

i was on orthotricyclen for 1 year and gained 10 pounds!! do not take that pill! every other girl i've met who has gone on it gained weight or had horrible side effects..

i am now on alesse, it's been about 5 months and i've gained no more than 2 pounds and my boobs grew.

Old 05-13-2005, 08:37 AM   #8
    KristyAngela
    (female)

KristyAngela HB User

I read in {removed} that the main way birth control causes you to gain weight is an increase in appetite. I suppose just watch your eating habits more closely and know when to ignore your craving for that choclate bar after you've eaten that sandwich. It might just be the pills talking...hahah.

Last edited by Modinatrix21; 05-13-2005 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Read posting guidelines. No websites or how tos for finding them.

Old 05-13-2005, 06:01 PM   #9
    bajan71
    Inactive
    (female)

bajan71 HB User

Again it depends on the individual and and the pill type like many others that posted here said.. I was on ortho tri cyclen and gained like 15lbs, it increased my appetite in a maddening way, I was constantly fighting to keep my weight at least neutral, and that's without eating any kind of junky food and with intense workouts.

Closed Thread