It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• Condom, Spermicide, and Birth Control? How Effective?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-01-2005, 01:18 PM   #1
    curiosity
    (female)

curiosity HB User
    Condom, Spermicide, and Birth Control? How Effective?

If I used a regular condom(without spermicide),spermicide(an actual little tube), and was on birth control(taken as directed,correctly), would my chances of becoming pregnant be the same as if I were to JUST use a condom & birth control? Would all three have an extra protection effect? I'm not sure if spermicide makes much of a difference, I was told that it doesn't. And SOMEHOW I'm hearing that girls are becoming pregnant even with a condom AND birth control(they're probably using it incorrectly). If you have any answers, I thank you much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2005, 01:47 PM   #2
    Cinemagic
    Veteran
    (male)

Cinemagic HB User
    Re: Condom, Spermicide, and Birth Control? How Effective?

14-15% of women relying on the male using a condom will get pregnant within a year.
    26% of women using spermacide only will become pregnent within a year.
    19% employing withdrawal will become pregnant within a year.
    5% of women taking BCP will become pregnant within a year.
    0.1-1% of women using the Ortho-Evra Patch will become pregnant.
    0% using abstinence will become pregnant.

Condoms plus BCP will not significantly reduce your chances over BCP alone. Condoms WILL reduce your chances of acquiring an STD whereas BCP will NOT reduce your chances of getting an STD at all.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-01-2005, 02:06 PM   #3
    cazzey
    (female)

cazzey HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cinemagic
    14-15% of women relying on the male using a condom will get pregnant within a year.
    26% of women using spermacide only will become pregnent within a year.
    19% employing withdrawal will become pregnant within a year.
    5% of women taking BCP will become pregnant within a year.
    0.1-1% of women using the Ortho-Evra Patch will become pregnant.
    0% using abstinence will become pregnant.

Condoms plus BCP will not significantly reduce your chances over BCP alone. Condoms WILL reduce your chances of acquiring an STD whereas BCP will NOT reduce your chances of getting an STD at all.

Hope this helps.
    where did you get them figures from? just curious.

Old 06-01-2005, 02:36 PM   #4
    curiosity
    (female)

curiosity HB User

I'm also curious, because I heard the patch is just as effective as the Pill. I was on the patch but it was crap quality...didn't stick at all, so I've switched to the pill, which is also ortho (ortho trycyclin) so it should work the same.
    I was planning to have sex with a condom and spermicide (to of course be safer and help with lubrication on the regular condom) while on the pill which I will be starting Sunday. I won't have sex until I'm sure that the pill has kicked in however, but I'm just curious on how effective the three are together.

Old 06-01-2005, 03:16 PM   #5
    cazzey
    (female)

cazzey HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by curiosity
    I'm also curious, because I heard the patch is just as effective as the Pill. I was on the patch but it was crap quality...didn't stick at all, so I've switched to the pill, which is also ortho (ortho trycyclin) so it should work the same.
    I was planning to have sex with a condom and spermicide (to of course be safer and help with lubrication on the regular condom) while on the pill which I will be starting Sunday. I won't have sex until I'm sure that the pill has kicked in however, but I'm just curious on how effective the three are together.
    How long you been on it? it takes at least 3 months to sink into system, But if you use condoms too, youll be fine after 1 or two. Ive been on pill for 4 years, but i recently changed to a spanish pill, and i wouldnt of been protected.

Old 06-01-2005, 05:39 PM   #6
    laomy
    (female)

laomy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cazzey
    How long you been on it? it takes at least 3 months to sink into system, But if you use condoms too, youll be fine after 1 or two. Ive been on pill for 4 years, but i recently changed to a spanish pill, and i wouldnt of been protected.
    the pill takes 7 days to be effective. not 3 months. no matter what pill you are on.

to find the effectiveness of a bunch of methods at once, in theory you would multiply the failure rates together. if the pill fails 1%, the condom fails 15%, and spermicide fails 26% (these are based on the numbers someone gave above), then.... *crunching numbers*... the failure rate is 0.039%, which is the same as 1 person in 2500 getting pregnant.

Old 06-03-2005, 11:51 AM   #7
    curiosity
    (female)

curiosity HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by laomy
    the pill takes 7 days to be effective. not 3 months. no matter what pill you are on.

to find the effectiveness of a bunch of methods at once, in theory you would multiply the failure rates together. if the pill fails 1%, the condom fails 15%, and spermicide fails 26% (these are based on the numbers someone gave above), then.... *crunching numbers*... the failure rate is 0.039%, which is the same as 1 person in 2500 getting pregnant.
    Ah! OKay! Thank you so much! I also knew that the pill only takes 7 days, but alot of parents are telling their young teens that it takes longer so they'll stay away from sex longer! Lol!

Old 06-03-2005, 04:45 PM   #8
    Divation
    Veteran
    (female)

Divation HB User

I don't know about ya'll, but that Seasonale pill works REALLY good too.

Closed Thread