It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• Birth control and weight gain?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-03-2005, 04:47 PM   #1
    luckx1005
    (male)

luckx1005 HB User
    Birth control and weight gain?

My girlfriend is afraid to try birth control pills because of potential weight gain. Are there any birth control pills that don't cause weight gain or cause very little weight gain? (The weight gain is actually more her concern than mine.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2005, 05:38 PM   #2
    Datura
    (female)

Datura HB User
    Re: Birth control and weight gain?

Everyone reacts differently. She needs to get over her fear and just try it. If there's a problem she can always stop taking them.

Old 06-03-2005, 05:47 PM   #3
    cheerio_lv_1214

cheerio_lv_1214 HB User

I never had a problem with weight gain when I tried:
    *Yasmin
    *Microgeste (*sp?)
    *Ortho Evra
    *Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo
    a couple others I cannot recall the name of
    Anyways, after trying Ortho Tri-Cyclen (starting my 7th month) I gained about 15-20 pounds. I am switching to Ovcon-35 to try and clear that problem up and also because it wasn't strong enough. All she can do is try it

good luck

Old 06-04-2005, 10:26 AM   #4
    kittywitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bonn1997
    My girlfriend is afraid to try birth control pills because of potential weight gain. Are there any birth control pills that don't cause weight gain or cause very little weight gain? (The weight gain is actually more her concern than mine.)

Being a woman, I completely understand her concern with weight gain, believe me . But like other people on here have said, she just has to give it a try. Not everybody gains weight, everybody's different. I'm currently on Ovcon-35 for the second time. So far I've gained 7lbs. due to a temporary (only lasted for a month or two) increased appetite. I wasn't supplementing with extra exercise to make up for it, though, so consequently I gained. But the first time I was on it, I didn't gain any weight at all. So, as you can see, it even varies with individuals. Trial and error is the only way to know for sure. Good luck.

Last edited by kittywitty; 06-04-2005 at 10:30 AM.

Old 06-04-2005, 11:33 AM   #5
    mel1977
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel1977 HB User

Again, you just have to try. It sucks though. I never gained a pound on Depo (as others have) but when I went off for two months and got on Seasonale I gained 15 pounds! I went back on Depo and have lost about 7 since, but the hips and thigh areas won't shrink like I want them too, no matter my diet or exercise. I have been wondering how to lose BC weight when you were healthy, active and eating right. I know some BCs have higher levels of estrogen and that is a common reason for weight gain, I also heard they can make you feel hungry when you are not, hence you eat more.
    Anyway-that is my input. I'd like to know how to lose it!

Old 07-12-2005, 07:27 AM   #6
    stardust8300
    (female)

stardust8300 HB User

ive been on ortho tri cyclen for about 3 years and ive been gaining weight steadily since ive been on it, im pretty unhappy w/it... i would have to say that ive gained anywhere between 30-50 lbs on it!!!! i really dont suggest it if shes worried about the weight gain. its really good in the sense that its good protection, i havent gotten pregnant yet and hope not to, but other down sides to it too are mood swings and bad cravings. im def switching soon.

Closed Thread