It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• Switch from ortho-tricyclen high to low and subsequent spotting

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-07-2005, 12:14 AM   #1
    blondie79
    (female)

blondie79 HB User
    Switch from ortho-tricyclen high to low and subsequent spotting

I was on the old-school Ortho Tri-cyclen high dose pills for years. A few months ago I switched to the low dose for insurance reasons. The first two months on low were fine, but now I'm starting to get my period 1-2 weeks early and I'm bleeding very lightly for almost two weeks straight. Its just a pain.

Will this early start crap will stop eventually? I am wary of changing pills again because I have a couple of friends who became accidentally pregnant that way. But...I don't want to go on like this forever if its never gonna normalize.

Blondie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2005, 01:31 AM   #2
    vahoney
    (female)

vahoney HB User
    Re: Switch from ortho-tricyclen high to low and subsequent spotting

hey i jus started my pill and i was worried becuz i started my period early on it so i called my dr they said my 1st pack ill spot heavy 2nd pack lightly and your 3rd pack u will be back on the right track so your ok on your 3rd pack ull b back to normal

Old 06-07-2005, 03:08 AM   #3
    Hideout
    Inactive

Hideout HB User

Ortho tricyclen has 35 mcgs of the estrogen and the low has 25 mcgs of estrogen. The lower dose increases spotting and lowers your protection against pregnancy.

Ask your doctor about switching you to another 35 mcg pill to keep your cycles regulated.

Old 06-07-2005, 06:45 AM   #4
    star_shine_2010
    Veteran
    (female)

star_shine_2010 HB User

Your doctor did tell you that you needed back up protection for the first 7 days? When switching from higher to lower hormones, it's like starting over. It's kind of like you've never been on bc before. Be careful when switching.
    I was on Ortho lo and i HATED it. If you're spotting, it's normal, but it could also be a sign that your pills aren't strong enough. I'm switching from Ortho Tri-Cyclen to Ovcon here shortly b/c my doctor doesn't think my pills are strong enough.

Hope I helped!

Closed Thread