It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• Excessive hair growth after going off Depo

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-21-2005, 05:00 PM   #1
    katherineutc
    (female)

katherineutc HB User
    Unhappy Excessive hair growth after going off Depo

Has anyone else experienced hair growth (dark) after going off BC, in particular, Depo? I went off Depo in '03 (last shot was in April) and ever since then, I have had much more hair on my arms, back, face, chin, and neck than ever before!! It's awful. Is it permanent? I dunno if maybe testosterone levels are now higher or what...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2005, 09:40 PM   #2
    barton93
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

barton93 HB User
    Re: Excessive hair growth after going off Depo

Yes, as a matter of fact, I have experienced that. Not only that, but I didn't get my first period back til 5 years after stopping Depo. I also was diagnosed with PCOS. The doctor that diagnosed my PCOS (from Mayo Clinic) told me that he is seeing more and more cases of PCOS in women after they use Depo. He said what is making him believe that Depo is the culprit is because many of the women he sees never had any of the symptoms of PCOS whatsoever prior to using Depo. I for example, never missed a single period prior to using Depo, and I had 2 pregnancys that came about with no effort. Since Depo, it took me 2 years to conceive. I was on Clomid for 4 months (which is the only months in the first 5 years after Depo that I had a period....like I said, my first real non-induced period came 5 years after Depo). I have hair growing everywhere, gained weight and am also a diabetic now. So, for me.......I think Depo was a bad choice, one that I have to live with for the rest of my life......and the culprit. Many people will say that their experience with Depo was great, but for the rest of us...........our stories are all very similar.

Old 06-24-2005, 02:05 PM   #3
    jenn1v
    (female)

jenn1v HB User
    Re: Excessive hair growth after going off Depo

Hi,

I was on depo as well. I didn't have excessive hair growth but, the opposite. I lost hair. I guess i'm one of the lucker ones getting off depo and got my periods right away. I totally agree with Barton on Depo and PCOS. I think it has something to do with that it usually stops your periods all together and that causes PCOS. I hope that everything works out for you. Good luck.

Closed Thread