It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• Anyone Taking Desogen?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-09-2005, 10:05 AM   #1
    amaranthine

amaranthine HB User
    Question Anyone Taking Desogen?

I was on regular Ortho Tri-Cyclen for years, and then my doc switched me to Ortho Tri-cyclen Lo for insurance coverage purposes. I was on Lo for about 6 months & my period kept coming early, so she just prescribed me Desogen. I have a number of friends on Ortho & Yasmine, but none I know take Desogen- and I've heard Desogen effects different hormones than most other bcp pills. I'm a little apprehensive about this switch, since I've been on some from of Ortho for over 10 years!! Can anyone tell me their experience?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2005, 12:20 PM   #2
    bordrgrl
    Inactive
    (female)

bordrgrl HB User
    Re: Anyone Taking Desogen?

I hated Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo and loved Desogen. Much shorter periods and less acne. It is the only pill that has been able to control my irregular bleeding. On the negative side, some studies have shown a slightly increased risk of blood clots with this pill.

Old 07-09-2005, 10:34 PM   #3
    kittywitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

It slaughtered my sex drive, but other than that it was fine. I was only on it for a month, though, because my husband is a horndog!

Last edited by kittywitty; 07-09-2005 at 10:35 PM.

Old 07-11-2005, 08:07 AM   #4
    amaranthine

amaranthine HB User

Thanks to you both, I took my first pill yesterday. There weren't a lot of responses to this thread which confirms my suspicions that not a whole lot of women are taking this particular pill! Anyway my main concern is it having a negative effect on my skin (I have a darn near perfect complexion and don't care to have it any other way) but it sounds like I'll be alright.

amaranthine

Old 07-15-2005, 10:46 AM   #5
    Yippee
    (female)

Yippee HB User

Years ago when I first went on the pill, my doctor put me on Desogen, and I love it. After a few months, she took me off of it and put me on OrthoCyclen - a report had come out about the increased risk of blood clots with Desogen. I haven't heard much about it since, but i'd love to hear your experience with it as you go along.
    I just switched to Seasonale after years of being on Ortho Cyclen with no problems and am not thrilled so far - I look and feel bloated all the time and I'm feeling like I made a mistake by switching.

Old 07-15-2005, 01:24 PM   #6
    Blue_Flamingo
    (female)

Blue_Flamingo HB User

I'm on the Canadian version, Marvelon and I'll be switching in a few days. It made my acne flare up, and I'm looking for a pill that'll be better with that. Other than that it was ok....spotting off and on, but nothing major.

Old 08-06-2005, 02:50 AM   #7
    P00hbear
    (female)

P00hbear HB User

Hi, I was on Desogen for 8 years with no problems, my cycle was very regular and not too painful, but I had to discontinue due to high blood pressure, however I am prone to that anyway so the pill didn't cause it, I just was not able to stay on it because of the hormones. When I stopped it, I gained weight. I just started Ortho-Tricylen Lo after 1 year of no pill and I feel much worse than than I ever felt on Desogen.

Old 08-07-2005, 07:43 PM   #8
    Valerie_s
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Valerie_s HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kittywitty
    It slaughtered my sex drive, but other than that it was fine. I was only on it for a month, though, because my husband is a horndog!
    Me too I had to stop it becasue I had NO sex drive but I loved it other than that, too bad it did that too me becauseother than the sex thing I loved it

Old 09-25-2005, 09:15 PM   #9
    VEE143
    (female)

VEE143 HB User

About a year ago i was on Estrostep and i was looking for a pill to help my skin i thought it helped and had no complaints.I went off thre pill for about seven months and everything went haywire so im back on the pill but i wanted to try something new so my gyn prescribed Desogen supposedly to help acne tomorrow will be a week ive been on it so i cant really tel the difference. {removed}
    let me know thaNX

Last edited by Modinatrix21; 09-25-2005 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Please make a new thread for your question.

Old 09-26-2005, 01:59 PM   #10
    clermont
    (female)

clermont HB User

I've been put on Desogen to help control my irregular cycle and also to clear up some body acne on my shoulders... I took my first pill last night and I woke up very nauseated this morning! My doctor assured me that this is a normal adjustment, though. I'll be sure to keep checking in on this thread, though, I"m anxious to see how it will work!

Old 09-26-2005, 03:41 PM   #11
    bordrgrl
    Inactive
    (female)

bordrgrl HB User

Keep in mind that it can take 3-5 months for the pill to start helping acne. At least thats what my dermatologist says?
    Clermont, its funny, but the pill always clears up my shoulders first!

Old 09-27-2005, 01:20 PM   #12
    clermont
    (female)

clermont HB User

That's great to hear! I'll definitely be waiting patiently to see what happens... I'll sure be praising the contraceptive Gods if it helps, though!

Old 12-15-2005, 08:51 AM   #13
    AnnaMarie99
    (female)

AnnaMarie99 HB User

I have been on Desogen for 3 weeks now & have had troubl sleeping since I started. {removed}

Last edited by Modinatrix21; 12-15-2005 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Please make a new thread for your question.

Old 12-15-2005, 09:32 AM   #14
    catycat
    (female)

catycat HB User

I was on regular ortho tricyclen for about 3 months and I pretty much bled constantly, so my doctor switched me to desogen. I've been taking desogen for about 2.5 years and I LOVE it. It hasn't effected my sex drive at all, at least not that I can tell, and my periods are now only about 3 days long and light usually... I had a heavy flow and sometimes debilitating cramps before, so it's amazing. And for me at least, there wasn't a difficult adjustment/transition period like there was with the ortho. Also, my blood pressure has been nice and low and stable (just like it was before I started taking anything). I never want to use anything else. It didn't make me gain any weight and I think it does help me maintain clear skin, although it's hard to say because my skin was clearing up around the time I started taking it anyway. You're right, not that many women take it, but for me at least it proved to be one of the hidden gems of birth control. Life is so much easier on it that I actually dread going off of it when I'm ready to have kids. I really hope no more negative studies or finding emerge about it.

Old 12-15-2005, 11:49 AM   #15
    andrea03
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

andrea03 HB User

I was put on desogen a month ago, I had mirena for 4 months and had it removed. The desogen is great for me. It has a higher estrogen level and that is what I need. It has helped with acne, and I have even lost weight on it.

Closed Thread