It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• Vitamin B, BCP and depression

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-10-2005, 12:24 PM   #1
    kookie55
    (female)

kookie55 HB User
    Vitamin B, BCP and depression

I have been reading that Vitamin B complex is good for fighting mood swings and depression. I am on ortho tri cyclen (6 years or so) and I am thinking that this may be altering my mood recently. I am nervous to go off of the pill, it regulates my period well. Does anyone know if taking Vitamin B may be helpful to compat moods while staying on the pill? Has anyone had a similar experience?

Also, does anyone know the major difference between Ortho-Tri-Cyclen and Ortho-Tri-Cyclen Lo (besides less hormones)? I was thinking about speaking with my dr. about that, maybe less hormones would make me less mood swingy??

Last edited by kookie55; 07-10-2005 at 12:29 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2005, 08:09 PM   #2
    GLSheridan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GLSheridan HB User
    Re: Vitamin B, BCP and depression

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kookie55
    I have been reading that Vitamin B complex is good for fighting mood swings and depression. I am on ortho tri cyclen (6 years or so) and I am thinking that this may be altering my mood recently. I am nervous to go off of the pill, it regulates my period well. Does anyone know if taking Vitamin B may be helpful to compat moods while staying on the pill? Has anyone had a similar experience?

Also, does anyone know the major difference between Ortho-Tri-Cyclen and Ortho-Tri-Cyclen Lo (besides less hormones)? I was thinking about speaking with my dr. about that, maybe less hormones would make me less mood swingy??

The Vitamin B is worth a try. I haven't heard of any success stories, but it might work for you.

As far as differences between Ortho Tri-Cyclen and the Lo version, the amounts of hormones are the only difference. The amount is VERY minute though. The drug company which makes both brands simply developed the Lo version because they lost their patent on the regular version.

Old 07-10-2005, 08:15 PM   #3
    kookie55
    (female)

kookie55 HB User

interesting, thank you

Old 07-13-2005, 05:46 PM   #4
    SilentSuffering
    (female)

SilentSuffering HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kookie55

Also, does anyone know the major difference between Ortho-Tri-Cyclen and Ortho-Tri-Cyclen Lo (besides less hormones)? I was thinking about speaking with my dr. about that, maybe less hormones would make me less [moody]??
    Yes, vitamin B is very good for regulating your moods. The Pill has been known to leech the B vitamins out of your system, especially after extended use.

I was on the Pill for 6 years and I just had issues with a vitamin deficiency. Just don't let it get to that point, like I did. You noticed the mood swings, which is a very good thing. If you start to notice pain in your legs, confusion, memory loss, or other mental symptoms, see your doctor quickly as you may need to take B12 shots, like I did. Or they could direct you to a good supplement.

I would give you a list of resources that back up my statements, but I'm not allowed to post links to other websites.

My gyno no longer carries regular Ortho Tri-Cyclen, so I had no choice but to switch to the Lo version. In order to get it, I would have to get a prescription. It was more expensive, so I stuck with it. I didn't notice any changes for the better or worse after switching.

Good luck

Last edited by SilentSuffering; 07-14-2005 at 12:03 PM.

Old 07-14-2005, 11:31 AM   #5
    octoberbride
    (female)

octoberbride HB User

Vitamin B Complex will definitely help you -- I've been on it and when I don't take it, I can tell I forgot it.

I tried both OTC and OTC Lo -- the Lo version was HORRIBLE. It made me an emotional mess -- I do not recommend it at all.

Closed Thread