It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• Pregnant and ON THE PILL!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-14-2005, 11:51 AM   #1
    sammy726
    (female)

sammy726 HB User
    Pregnant and ON THE PILL!!

Hello everyone-
    I missed my period this week and I was thinking there's no way I'm pregnant since I'm on Ortho Tri-Cyclen. I take my pill every day at the same time and lo and behold, I'm pregnant!!! I went and got a test this morning and it was positive. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Are some birth control pills less effective than others?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2005, 12:29 PM   #2
    Dark Stranger
    Inactive
    (female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
    Re: Pregnant and ON THE PILL!!

I have never had this happen to me, but birth control will work differently with each woman's body...it's very possible to get pregnant while on birth control, even if you take it faithfully; about 1 in every 100 women become pregnant while using it. A friend of mine said that her mother was on 3 different kinds of birth control at the same time, and she still became pregnant. It all comes down to the way your body works with your natural hormones; perhaps your body just did not respond normally to birth control. I don't know if some forms of birth control are less effective than others, because they are all, more or less, the same thing: fake hormones.

The bottom line is that its effectiveness all depends upon your body, which you can never be entirely certain how it will react.

Last edited by Dark Stranger; 07-14-2005 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Typo >.<

Old 07-14-2005, 12:31 PM   #3
    Piranna65
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Piranna65 HB User

there is always that small chance that they have a flaw. But there is usually a reason why it goes wrong, some slip up anywhere. I'd assume you've stopped taking the pill right?

I had a friend get pregnant while she was on the pill, her boyfriends (ex now)condom broke they thought it was two layers of protection in a sense. It broke she got pregnant....it happens.

Old 07-14-2005, 12:35 PM   #4
    sammy726
    (female)

sammy726 HB User

Right now I'm on my "in-active" pill week, so I'm not taking the pills, but I'm going to terminate the pregnancy, so I plan on starting them up again once that is done, I'm just wondering if I should start using 2 forms of birth control.

Old 07-14-2005, 01:59 PM   #5
    jriegel

jriegel HB User

most pills work by attempting to suppress ovulation, but this does not occur 100% of the time, so logically, pregnancy can still occur. I have three friends that all became pregnant while using the pill. It didn't happen to me but I didn't like the pill anyway so I switched to Natural Family Planning and have been doing it for over a year and haven't gotten pregnant. Sometimes it's your mistake, other times it's just the pill.

Old 07-14-2005, 02:39 PM   #6
    not_myself
    (female)

not_myself HB User

I got preggers on the pill and now I have a three yr old daughter

I decided to get my doctor to put in an IUD and it's wonderful! I don't have to remember anything and since I'm in a monogamous relationship there's no worries about std....away with condoms that break and pills that don't work!

A.

Old 07-14-2005, 04:35 PM   #7
    Ankyra80
    (female)

Ankyra80 HB User
    Unhappy Re: Pregnant and ON THE PILL!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sammy726
    Right now I'm on my "in-active" pill week, so I'm not taking the pills, but I'm going to terminate the pregnancy, so I plan on starting them up again once that is done, I'm just wondering if I should start using 2 forms of birth control.
    OMG! I can't even imagine what you must be going thru.... I just started the pill this month for my very first time... and to hear this, is awful... I am scared for u and now for myself. I happend to be on a "low-dose" so i hope it doesnt give me "low" protection... Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited by Ankyra80; 07-14-2005 at 05:44 PM.

Old 07-14-2005, 04:37 PM   #8
    Ankyra80
    (female)

Ankyra80 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by not_myself
    I got preggers on the pill and now I have a three yr old daughter

I decided to get my doctor to put in an IUD and it's wonderful! I don't have to remember anything and since I'm in a monogamous relationship there's no worries about std....away with condoms that break and pills that don't work!

A.
    I have a friend that got pregnant with an IUD... it just goes to show that nothig is 100%.....

Old 07-14-2005, 04:41 PM   #9
    not_myself
    (female)

not_myself HB User

Yeah I have heard of that happening too...no..nothing is 100% and it's a risk you take by having sex. I just figured that I woulsn't risk the pill again after what happened and I'm not done having kids so getting my tubes tied was out of the question too. I also tried Depoprovera and it kinda freaked me out not getting my periods...like it felt totally unnatural

A.

Old 07-14-2005, 06:03 PM   #10
    Daisies4monkeys
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Daisies4monkeys HB User

The pill is very effective, but pregnancies do happen. Taken perfectly the pill is around 99.9% effective, which means that 1/1000 women taking it perfectly will become pregnant anyhow. Whether you use a second form of birth control while on the pill is up to you. The only 100% way to not get pregnant is not have sex.

Old 07-14-2005, 07:10 PM   #11
    Dark Stranger
    Inactive
    (female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User

I think that Daisies4Monkeys's concluding statement is one that every woman should understand...protection has a high success rate, indeed, but the only form of protection that is 100% guaranteed not to fail is abstinence. But, you asked if you should use a second form of birth control, and the answer is YES. Sex is pretty much inevitable for everyone at some point in their lives, but if you don't want children just yet, then your second-best form of contraception would be birth control and spermicidal condoms...maybe even extra spermicide. I don't know how effective intra-uterine devices are, and I have also read that they can sometimes lead to pelvic inflammatory disease (don't know how true this is...) But it will be your decision entirely. Speak to your doctor about all your options to find out what will be the best. Good luck to you.

Old 07-14-2005, 08:54 PM   #12
    star_shine_2010
    Veteran
    (female)

star_shine_2010 HB User

OK...the thing with the triphasic pills (3 different hormone levels every month) are made to mimic a woman's regular cycle, so there's "supposed" to be less side effects. Now this has always been my way of thinking, if it's supposed to mimic your normal cycle then, wouldn't there be a greater chance of breakthrough ovulation? Hmmm... interesting isn't it? hehe. I just switched from Ortho Tri-Cyclen to Ovcon-35 and i like it 100% better! And when I was reading the info from Ovcon it said that with perfect use it's failure rate is less than 1 percent, but with typical (gosh i hate that word) use, it's failure rate jumps to 5 percent...NOW...with my ovcon it said that with that particular pill (ovcon)... the "typical" failure rate is 2 percent! And Ovcon-35 is a monophasic pill with the same amount of estrogen as Orhto Tri, BUT more progestin (0.4). That's almost double the highest amount in the strongest week of Orhto Tri. Anyways, enough of my jibber jabber... i hope i shed some light on the subject.

Old 07-14-2005, 10:08 PM   #13
    calgarygirl
    (female)

calgarygirl HB User

I got pregnant on the pill too, 14 years ago and I also took it faithfully every day at about the same time. I did have a second child later in life and did use the bc pill inbetween the pregnancies and did not get pregnant a second time on the pill. I was newly on triphasal when I found out that I was pregnant-before that I was on Ortho 777 for 4 years but was beginning to get breakthrough bleeding and I was switched to the triphasal.

Old 07-14-2005, 11:33 PM   #14
    SayMoo
    Inactive
    (female)

SayMoo HB User

sammy are you SURE you took it exactly the same time every day? That you followed all the rules..meaning you didnt mix any medications or take any medications while you were on the pill? Didnt throw up within 3 hours of taking the pil
    etc etc

Old 07-15-2005, 07:21 AM   #15
    sammy726
    (female)

sammy726 HB User

Hello everyone, and thanks for all the replies! Let's see, I took the pill at 9:00, give or take about half an hour. Occasionally on the weekends I'd take it around 10 or 11, BUT the last time I went to by OB for a pap, I asked him if this would lower the effectiveness and he said no. I mean, even in the pamphlet it says you only need a back-up method of birth control if you miss 2 pills in a row, so I figured if I'm just taking them an hour or so late, I was in the clear. I swear, I never missed a pill. The only medication I have taken the past 2 months is acyclovir for my cold sores, which is an anti-viral. I always thought that just antibiotics lowered the effectiveness. I'm just really upset because I had an abortion in April of last year, but my boyfriend and I were only using the "pull-out" method, so I wasn't as shocked. I'm really upset about this because after the last abortion, I swore I'd stay on the pill until I was ready to become a mom - I didn't want to have to do this again, but I'm not ready to have a child. I'm 24, I'm starting nursing school in January...I mean, I can barely take care of myself right now, let alone a baby. I went in yesterday to the clinic for my sonogram, and I'm 5 weeks. The nurse said they see a lot of girls on the pill that are pregnant. Now I'm going to be paranoid every time I have sex, since the pill obviously isn't reliable. Maybe I should switch pills? As of now I'm planning on resuming the Ortho Tri-Cyclen after my procedure (I'm doing the "abortion pill")

Closed Thread