It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• I'm SO SCARED to start Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-22-2005, 11:00 AM   #1
    mizvespa

mizvespa HB User
    Exclamation I'm SO SCARED to start Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo!!!

Everyone is going to think that I'm nuts, but I'm scared to start this pill b/c I'm worried about weight gain. I am in entertainment & have a shoot in less than 2 weeks, so I'm freaking! Still, I need to be on bc because I have awful periods otherwise & do not need to get pregnant.

I've also read about the patch & it seems that lots of people gain on it. I tried the regular ortho tri-cyclen years ago, but I gained 10 lbs that refused to go away until I quit taking. I CANNOT afford to gain within the next 2 weeks.

Can anyone PLEASE tell me if the lo has made you gain, particularly if you had weight gain with the regular.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2005, 11:06 AM   #2
    Derangea
    (female)

Derangea HB User
    Re: I'm SO SCARED to start Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo!!!

Before I started Ortho-Lo, I was 5'7, 102 lbs. Now I'm 5'7 110 lbs. You will gain weight. But fortunatley some of the weight is gained in your breasts. I'm in the movie buisness too and shot part of a scene a few weeks ago and have to finish the rest at the end of the month, so I have to maintain my weight at 110, and its hard. My advice to you would not to start it until you are done shooting. Eventually then after your body gets used to it it gets little easier to lose the weight. But unfortunatley you cant lose all of it no matter how much you try.

Old 07-22-2005, 11:48 AM   #3
    RiotGirl00
    (female)

RiotGirl00 HB User

I've been on it for 6 months and I didn't gain any weight..at least none that I've noticed. If I did then it was like 3 lbs or something... No major changes at all.
    My appetite changed at first, but later it went back to normal... that's why people gain weight. You don't gain because the pill makes you blow up, you gain because your appetite changes and you tend to eat more.
    If you can go on the pill and control your diet then you won't have weight gain issues.
    People tend to blame it on the pill and say how it made them gain 10lbs etc etc... It all depends whether you can control your eating habits or not, which obviously most people cannot do therefore they gain weight and say how the pill made them blow up.
    Not true.

So yea, if you can stay on a strict diet and not give into temptations then you won't have problems.

Last edited by RiotGirl00; 07-22-2005 at 11:51 AM.

Old 07-22-2005, 11:59 AM   #4
    jriegel

jriegel HB User

i gained weight when i was on the pill, but not everyone does. it's the way estrogen affects your body, it does it in men, too. but sometimes that weight gain is in your breasts, like Deragnea said. most of my friends only gained around 5-7 pounds, a very few gained a lot more than that.

i'm sure you know a lot of ways to lose weight if maintaining your weight is part of your job. i know a healthy way to lose a quick 5-10 pounds in about 2 or 3 days, it's part of the L A Weightloss plan. I don't know anyone who doesn't lose weight using it, so you could try some things like that if you do gain weight.

Old 07-22-2005, 12:00 PM   #5
    Derangea
    (female)

Derangea HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RiotGirl00
    I've been on it for 6 months and I didn't gain any weight..at least none that I've noticed. If I did then it was like 3 lbs or something... No major changes at all.
    My appetite changed at first, but later it went back to normal... that's why people gain weight. You don't gain because the pill makes you blow up, you gain because your appetite changes and you tend to eat more.
    If you can go on the pill and control your diet then you won't have weight gain issues.
    People tend to blame it on the pill and say how it made them gain 10lbs etc etc... It all depends whether you can control your eating habits or not, which obviously most people cannot do therefore they gain weight and say how the pill made them blow up.
    Not true.

So yea, if you can stay on a strict diet and not give into temptations then you won't have problems.
    I've been on it a year. Then I went off it for a month and dropped the weight automatically in just a month. Not changing eating. Nothing. What happens, is yes you are right, it IS hormones so it changes your eating behaviors, BUT since it is also increasing your estrogen and progestion levels it makes you gain weight in certain places. You see, what happens is, the pill makes your body "think" that its pregnant, and therefore it begins to store fat in order to prepare for the fetus, regardless if you eat strictly. It effects people differently, and their metabolisms. Its different for everyone. Congradulations for only gaining 3 pounds.

Old 07-22-2005, 03:04 PM   #6
    omalll
    (female)

omalll HB User

you probably shouldnt be afraid to gain weight on it... if you absolutely cannot gain an ounce, just make sure you watch what you eat.
    i didnt gain hardly any weight on it (maybe at worst, i went from 105lbs to 108lbs) but it was always water weight because i craved salty things, and i ate them.
    you probably wont pack on the pounds unless you give in to your cravings (which i always got on the 3rd week of that pill)

Old 07-22-2005, 03:23 PM   #7
    RiotGirl00
    (female)

RiotGirl00 HB User

Yea, same here.
    I didn't give into temptations when it came to my appetite so I didn't gain a significant amount of weight. I got a lot of cravings for different food, and sometimes I ate it.. but it still didn't change me.
    Everybody gains water weight, and it's always different anyway. You weigh different at certain times of day..depending on wether you weigh yourself before or after you ate. It doesn't really matter...give or take 5lbs..there is no exact set weight.

Old 07-23-2005, 09:04 AM   #8
    star_shine_2010
    Veteran
    (female)

star_shine_2010 HB User

Here's my take on birth control and weight gain, b/c I was on Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo and didn't really gain a thing, however when I switched to the normal ortho tri-cyclen I gained almost 20 pounds in 7 months.
    Some women are emotional eaters, and face it ladies, almost all of us are. These pills make some of us crazy and emotional! When I was switched to Ortho Tri-Cyclen I was always upset, I cried everday, I was moody, emotional, grumpy...you know the deal...like PMS all through the month!!! I am an emotional eater, hence when I was upset...which was all the time on that pill...I ate and ate and ate! When I was switched to Ovcon-35 a month ago I wasn't moody and my mood changed alot and I was always happy...like i had been before ortho tri-cyclen. In a month I've lost almost 8 pounds b/c I'm not so crazy and upset I want to eat all the time.
    This is just my take on it and I know alot of you out there will agree.
    Good Luck!

Old 07-27-2005, 08:00 PM   #9
    dobetty
    (female)

dobetty HB User

i have been on OTC lo for a little more than 5 months, and i have actually been able to lose weight. the only weight i gained was in my breasts, but it wasn't gaining that that inspired me to lose. all women are differnt, and the only thing you can do is try. i was extremely careful after starting the pill becasue i did NOT want to gian weight. i watch what i eat, and i execise hard DAILY. you must be on some type of fitness plan if you are in entertainment, but if you're not, i suggest one. good for ya anyway!

good luck!

Closed Thread