It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• BC forms that don't affect sex drive

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-03-2005, 03:18 PM   #1
    anonymoose

anonymoose HB User
    Unhappy BC forms that don't affect sex drive

does anyone know of a form of birth control that can't affect your sex drive? I've been on Alesse for a little over a year and my sex drive has gotten down to nothing. I feel really bad for my boyfriend because I never feel like having sex although I'm still attracted to him and love him very much. It's just hard for me to do something like that when I'm not feeling it.

I've read some about copper IUDs and that they aren't hormonal so can't affect sex drive but I also read that they can cause you to have worse cramps. Before I was on BC pills I'd have cramps so bad that I couldn't do anything but lay down and try not to puke for the first day or 2 of my period, and that's even with taking more midol than i probably should.

I don't trust condoms alone and cramps worse than they were before i started being on the pill seems hellish. I doubt there are many doctors willing to tie the tubes of a 23 year old who has never had kids (despite the fact that I never want to have kids and for a variety of reasons don't think i'll ever change my mind). I'm also hesitant to change to another kind of pill because I was lucky enough to have almost no side effects (except the sex drive thing) on Alesse. I don't want to have to deal w/ weight gain, moodiness, etc if I try a new kind. Yes I know I have to give a little somewhere since BC just isn't perfect.

So are there any other options or an acceptable compromise?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2005, 04:20 PM   #2
    GLSheridan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GLSheridan HB User
    Re: BC forms that don't affect sex drive

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymoose
    does anyone know of a form of birth control that can't affect your sex drive? I've been on Alesse for a little over a year and my sex drive has gotten down to nothing. I feel really bad for my boyfriend because I never feel like having sex although I'm still attracted to him and love him very much. It's just hard for me to do something like that when I'm not feeling it.

I've read some about copper IUDs and that they aren't hormonal so can't affect sex drive but I also read that they can cause you to have worse cramps. Before I was on BC pills I'd have cramps so bad that I couldn't do anything but lay down and try not to puke for the first day or 2 of my period, and that's even with taking more midol than i probably should.

I don't trust condoms alone and cramps worse than they were before i started being on the pill seems hellish. I doubt there are many doctors willing to tie the tubes of a 23 year old who has never had kids (despite the fact that I never want to have kids and for a variety of reasons don't think i'll ever change my mind). I'm also hesitant to change to another kind of pill because I was lucky enough to have almost no side effects (except the sex drive thing) on Alesse. I don't want to have to deal w/ weight gain, moodiness, etc if I try a new kind. Yes I know I have to give a little somewhere since BC just isn't perfect.

So are there any other options or an acceptable compromise?

Every form of hormonal birth control has the potential to affect your sex drive. It's a trial and error thing; you need to find the hormonal combination that works best for you.

Old 10-03-2005, 06:34 PM   #3
    caliente
    Veteran
    (female)

caliente HB User

i had this problem with the pill and it is very frustrating.

now i have the Mirena IUD. if anything, my sex drive has gone UP. also, i used to have a big problem with cramping during the first few days of my period, but since having Mirena, i have barely any cramping at all and my period is significantly lighter than it has ever been.

Old 10-03-2005, 06:55 PM   #4
    anonymoose

anonymoose HB User

that's opposite of what i read from most people that got a IUD, but I think theirs were mostly copper rather than the hormonal one. i'm glad to hear that you had a good experience with it.

Old 10-03-2005, 07:50 PM   #5
    caliente
    Veteran
    (female)

caliente HB User

the Paragard (copper) and Mirena (hormonal) are very different. i heard a lot of negative things about the copper one and much more positive things about the hormonal one, so i chose Mirena. although there are a lot of women who love the copper one, so i cant say its bad. all i can say is that it was not the right one for me.

good luck with whatever you choose. i'm sure you'll find something that is perfect for you.

Old 10-04-2005, 05:22 AM   #6
    Anon1
    (female)

Anon1 HB User

I agree with the mirena suggestion. I have had my IUD for about 5 weeks now. I did have some pretty strong cramping on the day of insertion and about 2 days after. I just had my first period and it was normal for me (maybe even a little lighter already). I was on the pill for about 15 years and it killed my sex drive. I can already tell it is coming back since I opted for the IUD.....

"I don't trust condoms alone" - Man, I am so with you on that one. And not trusting your birth control method can be a real libido killer.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Old 10-05-2005, 05:27 AM   #7
    nightangel73
    (female)

nightangel73 HB User

I was chatting online with a NP in gyn practice the other day and she said to me that the uterus of women that never had a child don't like to have anything in it. (it will cause to much bleeding and cramping) She also said that most of time is difficult to inster the IUD itself (to women who never had a child) given the small size of the uterus as well. I'm on pill and fortunatetly my sex drive is still the same. Try eating dark chocolate, it helps.

Old 10-05-2005, 06:24 AM   #8
    kittywitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nightangel73
    I was chatting online with a NP in gyn practice the other day and she said to me that the uterus of women that never had a child don't like to have anything in it. (it will cause to much bleeding and cramping) She also said that most of time is difficult to inster the IUD itself (to women who never had a child) given the small size of the uterus as well. I'm on pill and fortunatetly my sex drive is still the same. Try eating dark chocolate, it helps.
    Well, that explains why my sex drive is great. I LOVE dark chocolate!!

Last edited by kittywitty; 10-05-2005 at 06:24 AM.

Old 10-05-2005, 04:43 PM   #9
    anonymoose

anonymoose HB User

I decided just to quit the pill for a few months. I talked to a lady at planned parenthood about my options and she didn't mention any non-pill options but did give me some info and pretty much said they would switch my brand of pills to try to fix the sex drive problem. I'm due for my next gyno exam in december and I just want a few months to get back to what I was like pre-pill. I didn't have any severe side effects when i started taking it but the sex drive thing was gradual and i want to see if there's anything else i may not have noticed or attributed to the pill before I start putting a new kind in my body. I might not even want to have anything to do with them again but the problem is that I don't have many other options that are as reliable. no babies!

Closed Thread