It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• mirena experiences

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-13-2005, 06:49 PM   #1
    anonymoose

anonymoose HB User
    Question mirena experiences

i am considering mirena (hormonal IUD) and would like to know about everyones experiences. In particular I wonder:
    1. how long have you had the IUD
    2. Have you experienced reduced sex drive at all (the reason i quit the pill)
    3. Have you had any other side effects
    4. How badly did it hurt to have put in? If possible compare the level of pain to something else so I can know what to expect.
    5. Have you ever had kids? (I guess not having kids can be a factor in if the doc will let you get a IUD or not)

If there's anything else you care to add please do! I'm just fed up with the pill and nothing else seems to be near 100% reliable with typical use. I don't think I'll ever want kids so it's very important that I not get pregnant!

thanks in advance to anyone who cares to respond!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2005, 04:39 AM   #2
    Pesh
    (female)

Pesh HB User
    Re: mirena experiences

My best friend has had it for almost a year. She loves it. When she first got it, she had break through bleeding for a few weeks (maybe 4 or so) and then it stopped and now she barely, if ever, gets her period. You should know, however, that some, not all, GYNs are reluctant to give them to women who haven't had children yet. Something about your uterus being tighter.

Old 10-14-2005, 06:17 AM   #3
    mickih
    (female)

mickih HB User

[QUOTE=anonymoose]i am considering mirena (hormonal IUD) and would like to know about everyones experiences. In particular I wonder:
    1. how long have you had the IUD
    2. Have you experienced reduced sex drive at all (the reason i quit the pill)
    3. Have you had any other side effects
    4. How badly did it hurt to have put in? If possible compare the level of pain to something else so I can know what to expect.
    5. Have you ever had kids? (I guess not having kids can be a factor in if the doc will let you get a IUD or not)

If there's anything else you care to add please do! I'm just fed up with the pill and nothing else seems to be near 100% reliable with typical use. I don't think I'll ever want kids so it's very important that I not get pregnant!

thanks in advance to anyone who cares to respond![/QUOTE

I have had mine sine the end of May. It did not hurt at all to have it put in, but I have had two children, and I had it put in right after my second child so I am sure that helped.

I also had spotting for the first month or so. Now I get a very light period about every 6 weeks or so. The month of July I didn't have a period at all.

I haven't noticed any other side effects and it hasn't affected my sex drive one way or the other.

You might have trouble finding a doctor that will put one in if you haven't had any kids but they will do it. I have a fried that has one. She doesn't have any kids. She did experience pain at the time of inserition and for a couple of days afterwards. She only described the pain as cramping. Hope this helps.

Last edited by mickih; 10-14-2005 at 06:23 AM.

Old 10-14-2005, 02:52 PM   #4
    anonymoose

anonymoose HB User

i think i can handle cramping. before i started the pill I had cramps o' death. all i could do teh first day or 2 of my period was lay there and try not to throw up. If i was lucky the pain would subside enough for me to try to sleep through it. This is even with taking midol. Now that i'm off the pills I'm afraid the cramps will come back. If the pain from IUD insertion is only as bad as normal cramping then I'll be fine. Do you know if Minera eventually lessens cramping since it lightens periods?

Old 10-14-2005, 03:02 PM   #5
    mickih
    (female)

mickih HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymoose
    i think i can handle cramping. before i started the pill I had cramps o' death. all i could do teh first day or 2 of my period was lay there and try not to throw up. If i was lucky the pain would subside enough for me to try to sleep through it. This is even with taking midol. Now that i'm off the pills I'm afraid the cramps will come back. If the pain from IUD insertion is only as bad as normal cramping then I'll be fine. Do you know if Minera eventually lessens cramping since it lightens periods?
    It definatley lessens cramping. In fact, it's difficult for me to tell when I am about to get my period since I have been on Mirena because I don't get the cramping that I use to. The cramping is very mild. Supposedly, your period eventually stops after about a year of being on Mirena. I can't wait for that. Good luck if you decide to try it. I also hated the pill and am happy I switched.

Last edited by mickih; 10-14-2005 at 03:02 PM.

Old 10-16-2005, 03:19 PM   #6
    anonymoose

anonymoose HB User

anyone else care to share experiences?

Old 12-20-2005, 01:43 AM   #7
    msnita
    (female)

msnita HB User

I MUST APOLOGIZE IN ADVANCE FOR THE LENGTH OF THIS MESSAGE!!!!

hi...i have a five year old daughter and one year old son. we chose mirena for birth control 6 mo. after our son was born. we thought it was a good choice. i just had my mirena removed yesterday 12/19 after 7 months of unexplained health issues. the problems i had were severe lower and upper back pain, pain and numbness in my extremities, bad headaches, spotting, heavy periods lasting more than 8 days, very bad acne breakouts with scarring, stomach burning, abdominal bloating and bladder pressure.

i saw my md when my symptoms began. she referred me to several other doctors and for several advanced tests (cat, mri, urine, blood) she referred me to a gyn who did a manual vaginal check of the mirena and told me that it was in its proper place. when i mentioned the abdominal pressure and frequent urination after sex with my husband she told me "that happens to many women. just take this rx for septra an antibiotic and take it after you have sex."

my md wrote me off as having fibromyalgia and mild depression because the tests showed nothing. i was about to move to another country did not really want to go, had and was nursing a new baby. i was baffled and unpleased with her diagnosis and told her so. she and i got into a heated office discussion one day. when i challenged her diagnosis she said that my state at that time demonstrated her thoughts. so she told me to take zoloft 100mg and nexium

i currently live in west africa. i found a new doctor. he did an in office sonogram on my first visit to him. he found that the mirena had been inserted too low and was trying to expel itself. he told me that the mirena was the cause of most of my problems. mainly because my prior doctor did not insert it properly. she inserted it too low and it never went into my uterus as it should have. he told me that i could have even gotten pregnant because it was not in properly and therefore not doing its job. when i mentioned to him that i had it check at the three month mark he said that it should have been checked via sonogram, not manually because you can't tell if its in properly that way, you can only feel the string.

this past week i was in severe pain radiating from lower to upper back, my legs, feet, arms and hands. i also experienced numbness in my hands and feet. i did not know that mirena was causing my problems. i was beginning to think i was dying. i am relieved that it has been removed. i do not plan to have another iud.

if you decide to use the mirena, my recommendation is to make sure your doctor inserts it properly and does a follow up sonogram at the three month mark. please have it removed if you have any problems.

Old 01-03-2006, 09:48 PM   #8
    ADHDMOMOFTHREE
    (female)

ADHDMOMOFTHREE HB User

have had mine since march 2004. After having two of my children while taking the pill religiously I definately needed another form of birth control. It hurt like you wouldn't believe to have the thing put in. But my periods stopped completely.(which was the only awesome thing about it). My sex drive dropped to non-existant, and sex was a bit uncomfortable. My doctor said it was normal with the Mirena. Recently (remember this is 2 years later) I started having serious lower abdominal pain. There was blood in my urine and I thought I was getting kidney stones. After an X-ray showed my kidneys were clear, it also revealed that I am the lucky "1 in 1000" that the Mirena IUD has bored through my uterine wall and into my bladder. I am scheduled for surgery this month and will most likely have to have a hysterectomy due to so much damage, and repair to my bladder. This is probably because it was inserted wrong. It should definately be checked with a sonagram.

Old 01-05-2006, 01:42 AM   #9
    msnita
    (female)

msnita HB User

i am sorry to hear about your experience. i pray that your surgery will bo well. its great that you posted your reply. as women we need as much information and support as we can get. best wishes!

Closed Thread