It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• want to skip period, but dont want to stop all month..HELP

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-12-2005, 09:43 AM   #1
    xxmotogurlxx
    (female)

xxmotogurlxx HB User
    want to skip period, but dont want to stop all month..HELP

ok i'm in a long distance relationship and i'm going to spend a week at my boy friends house...i am leaving the sunday i should start taking the sugar pills but i want to skip my period...so if i start a new pack i will it will be delayed for a few days but then i will spot! if i start the new pack but only take a week worth the pills then stop for a week will my period start? then will i be protected when i start them up agian? help PLEASE

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2005, 06:02 PM   #2
    Dani Girl 78
    Veteran
    (female)

Dani Girl 78 HB User
    Re: want to skip period, but dont want to stop all month..HELP

I'm not sure about not taking the pills for a week to have a period (I think that would totally mess up the cycle of the pills, you would have a pack that was missing a week). You should be just fine with skipping your period for a month. I was reading an article yesterday that was all about b/c. Women these days will have 450-500 periods in their lifetime. Women just 2-3 generations ago had about half that. It also stated that there is no harm (none at all) in menstrual suppression. And that the "period" that you are experiencing while on the pill is just your body going through progesterone withdrawl. There is no uterine tissue that is being shed because your body believes that it is already pregnant so it doesn't continue to produce it.

You can do more research on that if you want to, but there is no problem with skipping a period every now and again. It's not going to effect you in any way. I have heard of a few ladies that did suffer some break through bleeding.

Whatever you decide to do I hope that you and your boyfriend have a good time together.

Last edited by Dani Girl 78; 11-12-2005 at 06:03 PM.

Old 11-12-2005, 06:58 PM   #3
    Daisies4monkeys
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Daisies4monkeys HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dani Girl 78
    And that the "period" that you are experiencing while on the pill is just your body going through progesterone withdrawl. There is no uterine tissue that is being shed because your body believes that it is already pregnant so it doesn't continue to produce it.
    This is ALMOST right -- when on the pill there is less build up of uterine lining, but for most women there is still some. That is what is being shed. Yes, the "period" on the pill is a result of progestin and estrogen withdrawl, but it is this "withdrawl" that causes the lining to shed. The two hormones stabalize the uterine lining throughout the month, and when you stop taking the hormones, the uterine lining is no longer stabalized, breaks down, and is shed in the form of a "period". It is not a natural period in that ovulation has not occured during the month and the hormonal fluctuations arenot "natural", but the shedding of the uterine lining happens the same way it would in a woman not on the pill. The periods of a woman on the pill are usually shorter and less painful because the hormone levels are controlled, and the uterine lining does not build up as much, so therefore there is less to be shed.

To the original poster, are you on a monophasic pill or triphasic? To tell, look and see if the amount of hormone in the pills changes from week to week. If it does, you are on a triphasic pill. If it is the same (ie, each pill contains the EXACT same amount of hormone), then you are on a monophasic pill. Monophasic pills work much better for skipping periods because the hormones are at a constant level throughout the whole month. You can certainly try to skip if you are on a triphasic pill, but be prepared for breakthrough bleeding which can range from mild spotting to bleeding resembling a full-blown period.

Old 11-12-2005, 07:48 PM   #4
    cremebrulee
    (female)

cremebrulee HB User

you should just skip it this month. after your last active pills, skip the placebos and start a new pack. you may have some spotting regardless. the other poster was right about the monophasic and triphasic pills. it is generally not recommended with triphasic pills. i however used to do it all the time when i was on ortho tricyclen. there is not much difference for me. i've done it with ortho, yasmin, diane-35...the next month i still get my period on the exact same day, just a few hours later.

Closed Thread