It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• If your condom splits can you take the morning after pill while on the pill?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-17-2006, 10:12 PM   #1
    janet11

janet11 HB User
    If your condom splits can you take the morning after pill while on the pill?

topic...please answer quick.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2006, 04:37 AM   #2
    GLSheridan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GLSheridan HB User
    Re: If your condom splits can you take the morning after pill while on the pill?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by janet11
    topic...please answer quick.

You can take the morning after pill, however, it isn't really necessary unless you've skipped too many pills. Read the insert that came with your pills. It will tell you when you must use a back-up method of birth control or emergency contraception.

Old 02-10-2006, 10:23 AM   #3
    mbf
    (female)

mbf HB User
    Re: If your condom splits can you take the morning after pill while on the pill?

the morning-after pill is actually a series of high estrogen-dosed birth control pills that you take back to back. so it should be fine.

Old 02-10-2006, 10:27 AM   #4
    rosequartz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

why would you need to if you've taken your BCP properly?

Old 02-10-2006, 01:49 PM   #5
    Daisies4monkeys
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Daisies4monkeys HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbf
    the morning-after pill is actually a series of high estrogen-dosed birth control pills that you take back to back. so it should be fine.
    Close, but not quite. The morning after pill is progestin, not estrogen. There used to be a brand of morning after pill that had estrogen in it, but the only one currently on the market is Plan B, which contains only progestin.

Also, while SOME combined birth control pills can be used as emergency contraception ("morning after pill"), not all can. Only pills containing the progestin Levonorgestrel can be used.

That said, as GLSheridan mentioned, there is no need for taking the M.A.P unless pills have been missed so as to lower effectiveness.

Old 02-10-2006, 02:10 PM   #6
    jansy
    (female)

jansy HB User

i am on the pill and one time i thought i might need the emergency pill. the doctor wouldnt give it to me because he said its just a stronger dose of the pill im already taking and would probably make me sick therefore throwing it up and it wouldnt work anyways.

Closed Thread