It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• Acne and birth control

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-23-2006, 05:06 AM   #1
    flowerburn
    (female)

flowerburn HB User
    Acne and birth control

I recently switched from the Ortho Evra patch to Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo and my face turned into a disaster, giant stubborn acne cover my face. I have never had breakouts the bad before. I called my doctor and the next month she switched me to Ortho Tri Cyclen, the breakout persisted, now covering my back. I yet again switched to Yasmin, and realized that on my week off from the pills my face would start to clear again. I went back to Ortho Tri- Cyclen in hopes that if Iím on it long enough the acne should subside. I have been to a dermatologist and the topical medications seem to have little effect. I am considering going on Accutane, which I am trying to avoid due to the horrible side effects and depression. I have been searching everywhere for someone who have found an answer to this problem. Iím running out of options (my doctor is no help). I would like to look in the mirror again, please help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2006, 08:50 AM   #2
    Frynd1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Frynd1 HB User
    Re: Acne and birth control

I believe the hormone progesterone (sp check) is in every type of birth control (pill, patch, nuvaring, shot) and it is what causes the weight gain and acne that come with birth control. Normally the weight gain is just water weight though, and supposedly the acne gets better once your body becomes use to that particular dosage of hormones. Switching the type of pill youre on will probably make your skin worse. My skin broke out when I got off the pill and a couple months later, I started nuvaring and it flared up all over again. I gave in and broke out an old package of proactive I put away when pregnant. It helps a lot. You can always see a dermatologist if its within budget.

Old 01-23-2006, 11:26 AM   #3
    bordrgrl
    Inactive
    (female)

bordrgrl HB User

Any acne treatment, topical or oral, is going to take at least 8-12 weeks before you see results. And you may get an inital breakout before you start clearing. So I would give your treatments more time to work.

Old 01-25-2006, 01:56 PM   #4
    chelsea2345
    (female)

chelsea2345 HB User

Ask your doctor about Diane-35 it is a birth control but most widely prescribed to cure bad acne. I just started it but have friends who take it and they swear by it.

Old 01-30-2006, 03:53 AM   #5
    flowerburn
    (female)

flowerburn HB User

Thanks,
    I was on the patch with no problems, but since they discovered the possible side effects, my doctor will not allow me on it again. I'm gonna wait out ortho-tricyclen one more month and hope my body will adjust (it'll be three months on this pill, six months of pill problems). If not, i'll try diane 35 (even though it contains the same hormones that bother my skin). I think i'm going to have to give up on birth control altogether.

Old 01-30-2006, 04:18 PM   #6
    Michellala

Michellala HB User

I would get off ortho tri cyclen, I havent heard anyone get good results on that pill. Diane-35, Yasmin, and I personally use desogen have better reputations.

Good luck!

Old 01-30-2006, 05:11 PM   #7
    lexla
    Veteran
    (female)

lexla HB User

lol i LOVE ortho tri-cyclen. I had almost the same reactions as you ... only my 1st pill was the Lo version and it broke me out horribly that I went on ortho tri cyclen and accutane. Now, almost 5 months later its good....i recommend ortho tri cyclen 100% and accutane...both worked great for me, but not until about the 3rd month for both. Most of the time, no bc or drug will work in the first month or two, so give it time, try not to keep switching and let your body adjust...good luck!

Old 01-30-2006, 08:23 PM   #8
    flowerburn
    (female)

flowerburn HB User

Yeah, I've tried the Low version, that led to my back breaking out.... not fun.
    I'm trying to avoid accutane if possible. I hope that during month three my skin will magiclly clear up. If not I'll try Diane 35, and if I see one new break out I'll quit this battle. I'm trying to avoid the same hormones that are in Ortho-Tricyclen and Yasmin since I am so sensitive. It seems so silly I have been doing this to myself for 5 months now... Thanks again for the help.

Old 01-30-2006, 08:28 PM   #9
    flowerburn
    (female)

flowerburn HB User

Yeah, I've tried the Low version, that led to my back breaking out.... not fun.
    I'm trying to avoid accutane if possible. I hope that during month three my skin will magiclly clear up. If not I'll try Diane 35, and if I see one new break out I'll quit this battle. I'm trying to avoid the same hormones that are in Ortho-Tricyclen and Yasmin since I am so sensitive. It seems so silly I have been doing this to myself for 5 months now... Thanks again for the help.

Old 02-02-2006, 03:42 PM   #10
    kakvox
    (female)

kakvox HB User

Hi guys!

I was on ortho tri-cyclen Lo for about six months (along with acne antibiotics and topicals) until my face cleared. At this point I then went off the OTC-Lo because I was stupid in thinking it had done its job and I no longer wanted to pop a pill every day. BIG MISTAKE. Three months later (once the pill was out of my system), my pre-menstrual acne returned. I went back on the pill, but this time to no avail. I also went back on antibioics. Well, these treatments didn't help this time around. Here I am almost 2 years later and one month into a nre BCP, Desogen.

I am curious to what others have to say about Desogen. I have been breaking out worse since halfway through the first pack up through the second week of the second pack. I am hoping this is the "intial breakout". How long should I give Desogen to work?

Thanks for any input

Last edited by kakvox; 02-04-2006 at 08:12 PM.

Old 02-04-2006, 11:08 AM   #11
    flowerburn
    (female)

flowerburn HB User

After nearly 6 months of switching between BCP, and my face is still scarred with some blemishes (and I used to have such beautiful clear skin). The best piece of advice I could give you is bear it through the first three months. Switching pills may aggravate your problem, as I am finding out. I have read everything I could about birth control hormones and acne, and everywhere Iíve read people have either cleared up after 3 months or so, or quit BC altogether. So wait it out, as horrible as it seems, and if in three months your skin isnít clear, Iíd switch again. Also taking your pills at the same time everyday will help your body adjust faster. Good luck to you.

Old 02-04-2006, 11:33 AM   #12
    bordrgrl
    Inactive
    (female)

bordrgrl HB User

Desogen has worked best for me (I've also tried Yasmin and OTC lo). But everyone is different. I had an initial breakout with Yasmin but I've never had that with Desogen.

Old 02-04-2006, 12:00 PM   #13
    kakvox
    (female)

kakvox HB User

Thanks for the replies. I am still breaking out (been taking Desogen since Christmas; breaking out for 4 weeks), but will stick it out for the 3-4 months I need to. I also might go back on an antibiotic I was on to see it that curves the breakouts. Thanks again!

Old 02-16-2006, 07:42 PM   #14
    flowerburn
    (female)

flowerburn HB User
    A little update..

So I finally gave the ortho tri cyclen a shot, I waited out two months of hell..
    While on my week off my skin clears up and I dread the week I start back on.. but this month was diffrent... It never came back.
    My face is clear... (okay today I have a big zit on my cheek, but give it another month and that should be solved as well)..
    My biggest issue is I'm left with all these scars. I rub Vitamin E and scar cream day and night. They are fading slowly. I cannot wait till I am acne and scar free.
    Those of you with the same problem, hang in there. Switching only makes things worse.

Old 04-26-2006, 02:31 PM   #15
    flowerburn
    (female)

flowerburn HB User

Edit:
    Face is still a mess.. thinking of going on Mircette...
    sigh.. I'm now an ance expert, my derm can't top me...

Closed Thread