It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• yasmin + Headaches in the pill free week

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-20-2006, 09:53 AM   #1
    shell85
    (female)

shell85 HB User
    yasmin + Headaches in the pill free week

I'm just wondering if this happens to anyone else. I'm on yasmin and i have been on it for about 9 months now. I'm generally happy with this pill however i've noticed that a few days into the pill free week i get a horrible migraine like headache which lasts a few days. The doctor said it was caused by the drop in estrogen in the pill free week and he said i could avoid it sometimes by running packs back to back. I'm just wondering if anyone else gets this and if you have found anything to help it? Would taking certain vitamins in the pill free week help? It's a shame because i do like this pill but these headaches are bothering me. Thanks
    Michellex

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2006, 05:51 PM   #2
    camden
    Veteran

camden HB User
    Re: yasmin + Headaches in the pill free week

The headaches may be due to the quick stoppage of estrogen. I started getting ocular migraines with my birth control after using it for several months. I can say that I have not had one since I quite taking birth contol.

Switching pills may help (you'll want to discuss this with your doctor) and the lower the estrogen dose, the better. I believe there is even a pill that starts with a higher dose of estrogen but the dose is lessened in the pills leading up to your period (sort of like weaning you off I guess). I think one of them is Mircette, the 28 day packs have 26 "active"(21 white and 5 yellow) pills and two "inactive" (green) ones but the instructions say, that if you forget to take any of the yellow or green ones, to just discard them, so I assuming they aren't vital.

I actually experienced migraines each time I was on the pill. Although I used to get painful migraines when I was a child I can say that the only time I have had them as an adult was when I was on the pill. I never had one when I was pregnant, on Depo Provera or while taking nothing.

Hope this helps a little!

Old 02-21-2006, 01:00 AM   #3
    ZenpunK
    (female)

ZenpunK HB User

yup, i get migranes too from yasmine. they last for days sometimes but i dont get it every month.

Old 02-23-2006, 11:29 AM   #4
    shell85
    (female)

shell85 HB User

Thanks for your replies! Yes i think a pill like Mircette would be better for me since the drop in estrogen hopefully wouldn't be as severe as it seems to be on yasmin. Is anyone else on Mircette? How has that pill been for you, oh and another thing to mention, did it affect your skin? I'm prone to spots and yasmin does seem to keep my skin under control. I'll bring the subject of mircette up next time i'm at the doctors, thanks again
    Michellex

Closed Thread