It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• Birth Control For Teens

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-24-2006, 02:33 PM   #1
    missyou009
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missyou009 HB User
    Birth Control For Teens

Hey all.

I am in my mid teens,and I am thinking about going on birth control.

There are two main reasons that I want to:

1. I have pretty heavy periods - For the first 2-3 days of my 5-6 day periods I'll go through a super absorbency tamon AND pad within 2 hours or so (and I don't believe in using super plus tampons because of TSS risks).

2. I have pretty bad acne that got a lot better when I took antibiotics,and topical treatments don't work too well.

I am most interested in the patch because I find it hard to remember to take things everday (especially if it's the same time everyday).However,I have read that there are many more risks with it than witht the pill.\

Opinions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2006, 03:40 PM   #2
    moodygirl87
    (female)

moodygirl87 HB User
    Re: Birth Control For Teens

First of all I'm 18 and I'm a female just so you know who is telling you this information. I started birth control when I was 13 for the same reasons you are. Of course my reasons have changed over time, but I know the exact answer to tell you. I have been through about 10 different kinds of birth control including the pill, the patch, the extended pill (seasonale) and nuvaring. I'm on a pill now called Necon, and I love it but that's not the point. I was on the patch for about 1 year and a half and I really loved it. Then I started hearing on the news that the risk of blood clots and stroke was three times more than any other kind of birth control so I was scared and wanted to get off of it right away! So I went to my gynocologist and changed, however when I asked her about the patch she told me that the media was blowing it out of proportion because there is a risk like that for all kinds of birth control and the main people having the most blood clots were people who smoke or people who had already had some type of blood clot problem. So there is a risk associated with everything but as long as you don't smoke (that increases the risks VERY much and doctors usually won't even prescribe it if they know you smoke) and as long as you haven't had a history of heart attack or stroke or blood clots. So I loved it, and you will be fine with it, just know that everything has its risks. But if you are looking at other options and are good at remembering a pill every day I would say try a pill as well. Necon 1/35 really really really cleared up my acne and I only have a 2 day period. So it's absolutely wonderful but that's up to you. My patch seemed to come off when I went swimming, but the rest of the time it was cool too. Good luck with that and if you have any more questions feel free to post them!

Old 02-24-2006, 03:51 PM   #3
    missyou009
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missyou009 HB User

Wow.

Thanks a lot!

I don't have any family medical history that I know of (I am adopted),but I myself am very healthy,I don't smoke,and I am active.

The swimming thing is kinda bad though...I have a pool at my house and I swim almost every day in the summer (although I wouldn't have to worry about that for a couple months still).

Old 02-25-2006, 08:23 AM   #4
    missyou009
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missyou009 HB User

Another question:

I still haven't asked my mom what she thinks about me going on birth control...How do I do it?

Old 02-25-2006, 09:49 AM   #5
    Dark Stranger
    Inactive
    (female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User

I don't know how much of a prude your mother is, but be sure to inform her that you wish to go on birth control because of your periods. Even though it would be the responsible thing to do, she might flip out if she were to believe you sought birth control because you want to become sexually active. I know how some mums can be.

As moodygirl87 said, all forms of birth control come with their risks. Also, the side effects of birth control will be different for each woman. Some women don't feel any effects, while others will feel like they're pregnant. It depends on your body entirely. As far as acne, though...maybe it's just me, but I noticed that I broke out a little more than usual when I was on the pill...I guess from the influx of hormones. I've never heard of birth control being a remedy for acne, but maybe you have heard otherwise.

If your mom can be understanding of your reasons to go on birth control, then you and your doctor will discuss all the options and you can hopefully find what would be best for you. Good luck to you.

Old 02-25-2006, 11:00 AM   #6
    missyou009
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missyou009 HB User

My mom isn't prude at all.She says no dating til I'm 16,yet asks me if there are any guys that I would consider going out with.She went on birth control when she was in her 20s,so I know that she's not against it.

Old 02-26-2006, 02:41 PM   #7
    runnin76
    (female)

runnin76 HB User

I guess the way I would approach this issue with my mom is to bring it up to your mom & the doctor at the same time.
    You could make an appointment to discuss your heavy periods with your doctor (and no other reason) and bring Mom along.
    Your doctor may actually be first to bring up birth control pills as a common way to help control heavy, painful periods.
    Plus, it would be good to go over the risks, etc with your mom & the doctor together.
    Birth Control Pills have been a Godsend for me and my formerly heavy, painful periods. I'm on Seasonale now & only have 4 periods per year!

Best wishes,
    Rosanna

Old 02-26-2006, 02:48 PM   #8
    missyou009
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missyou009 HB User

I think that I should introduce the idea to my mom FIRST so she's not surprised at the doctors...I have my yearly visit coming up too.I'll just bring up my periods casually and then ask her about BC when I can get her alone...

Old 02-28-2006, 01:03 AM   #9
    islander81
    (female)

islander81 HB User

how i did it.. i was 15 and i went to the doc for my physical. i explained to him that i wanted to go on the pill because i was sexually active. he, in turn, told my mom that he wanted to put me on the pill because my periods were very heavy and he was afraid that i would be losing too much blood. he totally covered for me, and my mom was not shocked at all. she believed him. hehe. it might be better to do it that way because the reasons are coming from a doctor, and it just seems more credible that way.

Old 02-28-2006, 05:03 AM   #10
    shlindz
    (female)

shlindz HB User

Here's some advice when you first start taking birth control:
    ~Check with your doctor about what kind of hormones in the pills(or whatever you choose). The right amount of hormones in your BC will make a huge difference! There are so many types of BC to choose from. Don't be afraid to talk to your doctor about anything you think is out of the ordinary because it will probably link back to hormones.
    ~Also think of your lifestyle. If you really think you can't remember a pill everyday then vie for a different type of BC like the patch or needle.
    Good luck with your choice. I started taking BC when I was 17 and I stopped a year later because I was having problems with the hormones ( I didn't find out that it was hormones though untill a week ago). I found out that I have a hormone imbalance and the pills I was taking were making it worse. I just started a new type of BC (2 years after I stopped) and so far so good. It would have made a big difference in my life if I had just talked to my doctor before I decided to quit taking them. I would have found out alot sooner about the imbalance and been able to correct it sooner.

Old 02-28-2006, 08:40 PM   #11
    missyou009
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missyou009 HB User

You know...islander81 - You make a good point about the doctor.I mean,it's not like I'm sexually active,but it would make it seem more plausible coming from a doctor than from a 15 year old.

Old 03-01-2006, 03:09 PM   #12
    xxicecutiexx
    (female)

xxicecutiexx HB User

Definately talk to your mom and doctor at the same time. I was 15 when I went to the doctor for a physical and mentioned wanting to go on the pill I tried seasonale and hated it. It made me depressed and I also fainted three times while on it. I am now taking microgestin 1/20 and its cheap and awesome. I havent experienced any side effects and I actually lost weight, my breast got bigger, i have light periods and my acne cleared up! Good Luck

Old 03-01-2006, 04:03 PM   #13
    missyou009
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missyou009 HB User

Thanks.I'll do it at my doctor's appointment.Sounds like people have better experiences when doing it that way.

Old 04-30-2006, 12:25 PM   #14
    missyou009
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missyou009 HB User

I'm not happy...

My doctor was all like,oh,well that's normal for this and that,and your acne isn't all that bad...

So now I am stuck with my periods which get worse and worse by the month.

And since I was doing track,mine got all screwed up too.

Old 05-09-2006, 08:35 PM   #15
    TrendyMindy
    (female)

TrendyMindy HB User

missyou009,

Necon 1/35 is a generic birthcontrol pill. It is great that Dark Stranger is having a good experience with it but what you must keep in mind is that each pill works different for every patient. Most likely when you go to the doctor they are going to put you on the lowest dose pill possible. Right now that would be 20mcg. You are young and they are going to want to step you up if they have to. Most OBGYNs don't prescribe the patch due to liability issues. Dark STranger is right. The media has blown it up but there has been studies conducted that show increase risk of VTE and it does actually have around 50mcg of Estrogen as apposed to the 20 or so it was labeled with.

My suggestion would be to request from your doctor the new 24 day pill, Loestrin24. It is a low-dose 20mcg pill and you only have a period for about 3 days. Sounds good right?

As far as remembering to take it. Keep them with your toothbrush or makeup.

Good Luck!

Closed Thread