HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Birth Control (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/birth-control/)
-   -   for those who use the pill/patch to regulate periods (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/birth-control/373720-those-who-use-pill-patch-regulate-periods.html)

ASDGRMama 03-13-2006 08:45 PM

for those who use the pill/patch to regulate periods

Has anyone been on the pill/patch for bleeding irregularities and then stopped? Did your cycle return to normal?

The plan at this point is to stay on the patch until next January. If my cycle has regulated by June or July we may try to become pregnant.

Has anyone had success with using the pill/patch in this way?

We don't know at this point what's causing the irregular bleeding. My dr has suggested the possibility of low estrogen/progesterone levels or an autoimmune disease (I already have autoimmune thyroid disease but they don't feel this is causing my problems).

Thanks for any help!

Kelly

P.S. Anyone know how long you have to be off the pill/patch before having your hormones tested?

bordrgrl 03-14-2006 03:35 PM

Re: for those who use the pill/patch to regulate periods

Unfortunately the pill/patch can't cure any underlying problems. I've been on the pill for a couple years now to help with my extended bleeding. My doctors take me off of it every once in a while for hormone testing, etc. and my periods always go right back to the way they were before. Sometimes my first month off the pill it is still good, but it goes downhill from there.
You should be off the pill for at least 4 weeks to get more accurate results from hormone testing.
We're still not 100% sure what is causing mine, but some of the things they have tested me for are hyperthryoid, fibroids, and blood clotting problems.

omalll 03-14-2006 08:35 PM

my periods were irregular before the pill, but for a few months after I stopped the pill they were like clockwork.. then eventually they became irregular again. I dont have pcos or endo. or anything like that. Im just not regular. Sometimes my cycle will be 32 days, sometimes 40. Never less than 28 though.
I'd say my periods were regular (as in, exactly 28 days) for like 3 or 4 months after I stopped the pill.

ASDGRMama 03-15-2006 09:17 PM

Thank you for replying! I had wonderfully regular periods before I became ill with my thyroid issues. My drs do not feel that's the problem but I hesitate to agree.

I haven't had my hormones tested yet but would like to before attempting pregnancy again.

My OB said that I've been tested for "everything that's treatable". Due to recurrent miscarriages I've had a lot of testing done (I have no idea why they haven't tested my estrogen/progesterone levels). He feels for now the patch gives me some predictability (I was bleeding/spotting constantly before going on it). For whatever reason I also feel worlds better than I did before. I had to stop using it for three weeks until my pap results came in and I felt positively horrid the entire time!

I have some mild side effects but nothing compared to how I was feeling before. Seems to me I have some kind of a deficiency the hormones are filling in...hopefully I'll be able to get the testing done next year and we'll know for sure. I still have a small thread of hope that maybe just maybe my cycles will be regular again without hormonal assistance. It's looking doubtful though.

Thanks again!

Kelly

bordrgrl 03-16-2006 09:37 AM

Maybe a reproductive endocrinologist would help if your regular endocrinologist isn't?

ASDGRMama 03-16-2006 08:59 PM

Her colleague (same office) is a reproductive endo. She doesn't feel that I need the referral since my OB is "handling" my case. My endo is very arrogant and we don't get along well due to not agreeing on much of anything concerning my condition/treatment.

It's been a very long couple of years. I'm glad the ortho evra is helping but at the same time I don't want to use it if I don't have to. I'm burned out on drs though and really would like to avoid going as much as possible this year.

I will most likely pursue (meaning push for) further testing and assistance next year. In the meantime I'm trying to gather as much info as I can :) .

Thank you for your help!

Kelly

bordrgrl 03-16-2006 09:14 PM

Man do I know how you feel :) I had a lovely "break" from doctors in January and February. How pathetic is that! :)
If you haven't read it Taking Charge of Your Fertility might help you conceive when you are ready.

ASDGRMama 03-17-2006 10:01 PM

Thanks for the book suggestion...you wouldn't believe how many times I've picked that book up to buy it but put it back :D ! Now I'm definitely going to have to get it...I wasn't sure if it was good or not.

I haven't been to the dr since January and it really has been great! As much as I want answers sometimes it's just not worth it to go :rolleyes: . All the battling trying to get someone to listen...it just gets to be too much.

For now I really do have a good thing going. I feel better than I have in a long time (granted I take a lot of Advil and Aleve but for now it works). I really do think that I'll ride this year out and see where I'm at in a few months.

Thanks again!

Kelly