It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• IUD or Tubal Decision

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-17-2006, 06:45 AM   #1
    thesedays
    (female)

thesedays HB User
    IUD or Tubal Decision

I usually have my yearly paps done by my internal medicine doctor, however, she doesn't do any other OB/GYN things so I've made an appt with a gyn for next week to discuss BC options.

BC pills are not an option for me, they cause all kinds of issues for me. I'll be 35 in August and am positive that I do not want any more children (I have one)

So my options are tubal ligation or the Paragard IUD. My internal medicine doctor seems to be against the tubal, as she states there are too many side effects and syndroms that could be associated.

I've also looked in to the Paragard but have some concerns. I'm a HUGE wimp about pain and am worried about the pain with insertion and/or any lingering pain. It also seems strange to have something "floating" around in your body. Also - checking for the "strings" sounds a little strange to me also. I also have to wonder if you check for the strings and CAN feel them, I assume this means your partner can feel them?

I would like to hear from both ....those that have had tubals and/or the paragard IUD.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2006, 02:02 PM   #2
    jenn1v
    (female)

jenn1v HB User
    Re: IUD or Tubal Decision

Hi,

I can tell you that the Pargard IUD is a good choice for BC if you can't use hormone types. I had problems when i was on Depo(before that the pill) so, i decided to have the IUD instead to give my body a rest from all the hormones and it's been great. I have had it for a bout a year now and love it. Having it put in did hurt a little but, bear in mind that i haven't had children. It only took about 5 mins and i had about 3 sharp pains. The couple following days i had cramps but that went away. My period hasn't changed as well. You can feel the strings sometimes, I usually can feel them a few days before my period but you can have your doctor trim them if they bother you. Good luck

Old 03-17-2006, 02:45 PM   #3
    elizab3th
    (female)

elizab3th HB User

I don't have any advice for you, but I am currently making the exact same decision as you. I have been on the pill for 13 years, and need to get away from hormonal birth control. I, too, would like to know about the side effects from having a tubal done. Anyone?

Elizab3th

Old 03-17-2006, 03:00 PM   #4
    thesedays
    (female)

thesedays HB User

Jenn - I've read that the Paragard can also cause heavy bleeding / cramps, etc.

I've also read some women can feel the IUD "moving", can you?

As far as tubals, I've also read this can cause early menopause, and there's a "tubal ligation syndrome". Google it and see what comes up.

Any others?

Old 03-17-2006, 03:24 PM   #5
    omalll
    (female)

omalll HB User

I have a paragard, and I love it. My period isnt really heavier. It lasts 8 days, but only 2 of those days is it heavy. I dont have cramps. I had cramps for 5 days after the insertion, but thats really it. My boyfriend could feel the strings, but I havent gone for a followup appointment yet (they cut them shorter then). Theres no big deal in checking the strings, you just put your finger in there like you're inserting an O.B. tampon, and you should be able to feel it. Its like a thinner version of fishing line. It hasnt bothered me, I cant feel it, nor can I feel the IUD "floating around".

If you dont want the surgery of a tubal, and if you dont wanna mess with an IUD, there is a procedure that is permanant like a tubal, but doesnt require surgery. Its called Essure. What they do is put coils in your fallopian tubes, which causes scarring, so that the tubes scar shut. They go thru your vagina, so there is no surgery, but they may give you local anestaesia, since having something thru your cervix while they do the procedure is painful. I think its cheaper than a tubal ligation, since its a lot less dramatic.

Anyway, if that is scary, the Paragard is great. I cant tell I have a 99.2% effective birth control in my body. For a few days before my insertion, I took the herb Black Cohosh (about 600mg powdered root per day) and it really makes your cervix nice and relaxed. That, and some Aleve, and my insertion wasnt painful at all, just uncomfortable (due to the speculum, etc). I love not having artificial hormones in my body

Old 03-18-2006, 09:15 AM   #6
    jenn1v
    (female)

jenn1v HB User

Hi,

My period hasn't changed since i had the IUD put in. Same amount of days but a little heavier on the first and second day but no biggie and you can use tampons. The only time that i or my husband can feel the strings is a couple day before my period and from what my doctor said it's normal. I haven't had the strings trimmed so maybe that's why i can feel them.

Closed Thread