It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• Diane 35

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-25-2006, 10:48 AM   #1
    girlygirl11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

girlygirl11 HB User
    Diane 35

After being on Alesse for a few months, I decided it's not for me due to the long 'periods' i got (basically, my bleeding lasted like 10 days). My doctor was going to put me on Marvelon, but then we decided on Diane 35 for the additional skin improving benefit.

I've been doing research on it (as I always do with new drugs im taking lol), and it seems like Diane 35 has a TON of warnings about it (being taken as BC). Im in Canada, and Health Canada has issued a warning that it shouldn't be taken as a BC pill because of some chemical it contains that increases the chance (by a lot in comparison to other BC pills apparently) of developing blood clots (and/or some disease but I forget the name lol)..has anyone heard of any of this? Or has anyone had any negative experiences with it?

Alongside that, what are people's experiences with Diane 35 in terms of breakthrough bleeding, weight gain/loss, periods, etc?

Thanks, GG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2006, 01:11 AM   #2
    d_dixiechick
    (female)

d_dixiechick HB User
    Re: Diane 35

I used Diane 35 as birth control, but only because I got horrible acne around the time of my periods. I don't think they are even supposed to prescribe it in Canada as strictly birth control. I was only on it for about seven months, until my acne cleared up (I then switched to Tricyclen 28) but I had no problems on it. I didn't gain any weight, didn't notice any mood swings, and my period was predictable almost down to the hour. But, it does have a very high risk of blood clots, much more so than other brands of birth control. I think that's why it's not even marketed as birth control anymore in Canada.

~Lindsey~

Old 04-03-2006, 10:29 PM   #3
    cynphul
    (female)

cynphul HB User

Diane 35 isn't all bad girls. Yes it does increase your risk of blood clots and what have you, BUT whatever high dosage birth control you take you increase those risks. If you smoke, the risks are even higher. It is different for everyone, your bodies are all different, so do what is right for you not what others say!
    good luck

Old 04-03-2006, 10:51 PM   #4
    calgarygirl
    (female)

calgarygirl HB User

I've read about the warnings too and was concerned. I just started my first pill of Diane 35 today. I think the risks are still really low but higher then other bc pills. I do not have any acne at all but my dr had a few freebies for me to try them out. I was on Yasmin for the last year (was on Alesse before with horrible migraines) and at first it was helping with the migraines but towards the end they were just as bad as before so she said to give it a shot to see if it would improve my migraines using the Diane 35. I know the risks for blood clots increase if you smoke and are over 35. I am over 35 but do not smoke, I think short term we should be okay.

Old 04-20-2006, 05:31 AM   #5
    Localgal

Localgal HB User

I'm 1/4 thru my 2nd cycle now and the only side effects I've gotten in my first cycle was a little weight gain. My skin is still oily, I'm not noticing any other side effects besides that.

Closed Thread