HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Birth Control (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/birth-control/)
-   -   Yaz Birth Control (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/birth-control/383763-yaz-birth-control.html)

21_cnp 04-18-2006 09:29 AM

Yaz Birth Control

Is anyone on Yaz birth control. It is a lower dose than Yasmin. My doctor said that it is suppose to clear up acne and she said tests on it shows women losing weight not gaining.

ace8484 04-18-2006 12:06 PM

Re: Yaz Birth Control

Yaz was just approved by the FDA on March 21, 2006. It probably won't be shipped to pharmacies for a couple of months. It has the same two components as Yasmin, but a lower dose of estrogen (the progesterone is the same).

Another difference between Yasmin and Yaz is that Yaz has 24 active pills, and only 4 placebo pills.

To answer your question: Since Yasmin does tend to clear up acne/less weight gain compared to some pills, I would imagine that Yaz would do the same!

21_cnp 04-18-2006 03:32 PM

My doctor had samples in her office and she gave me two packs that will last two months. But like I said in my first post, she said studies have shown that it shows people losing weight on it. I will let everyone know how I am doing on it in a few weeks.

ace8484 04-19-2006 06:27 AM

Let us know! I am interested if your period is shorter, because there are only 4 placebo pills?

katy12345 04-19-2006 10:26 AM

I've been waiting for this forever, my moms a gyno and kept telling me about it. Im on regular yasmin right now and ive been thinking of switching for awhile. She just gave me samples yesterday, i'll let yall know how it is.

Hideout 04-21-2006 04:50 PM

Yaz has the same progestin as Yasmin - Drosperione. In Yasmin's clinical studies there was significant WEIGHT GAIN in a year. This is true! Yaz will be off of the market within a year because it is infringing on another company's patent (they are suing them and it hasn't went to court yet)

katy12345 04-22-2006 09:33 AM

The same company that makes yasmin makes yaz.....? The only difference is the estrogen levels. Yasmin has 30mg and yaz has 20mg. Its like ortho tri cyclen and ortho tri cyclen lo. I gained weight while taking yasmin, but im definately not going to blame it on yasmin, i take full responsibility for it! lol

TrendyMindy 05-09-2006 07:47 PM

Yaz has no studies that show decreased weight or weight loss. I think it's being marketed as a low dose Yasmin.

There's also another New 24 day pill out now. [B]Loestrin24[/B]. It has 24 days of active pills and 4 days of placebo (which contain iron).

I know Loestrin24 studied all women 18-45 and included women with a BMI up to 35 (heavier women). Their study showed an average period to be less than 3 days and 30% lighter.

I think Loestrin24 sounds like a better option that Yaz because they have studies to back up their claims.

katy12345 05-09-2006 09:29 PM

I am at the end of the first pack of yaz and i feel so much better. i was on yasmin for a year and i did not realize how much it was effecting me untill i stopped taking it. Its kinda confusing though b/c yaz is the same thing as yasmin but it just as lower estrogen. I think one of the reasons is that yasmin is the first birth control i had been on that was that high, all the other birth controls i had been on were low dose. Im not as anxious, nervous, moody and crying all the time. Its kinda wierd, i also have lost about 7-8 pounds this month by doing absolutely nothing. Its kinda weird, i hope it doesnt change. I'll let yall know how my period goes.

ESTEFITA 05-12-2006 08:02 AM

Hi!

I am on the second week on Yaz. I have been taking birth control pills for almost two years now, and so far I think this has been the best pill with regards to less mood swings, and less emotional stress..... The only problem, is that I feel as if I have gained weight, my appetite has increased somewhat. I am weighing myself every day, and I will see at the end of the pack if I ended up gaining , losing weight, or none at all. If anybody else feels as if they are gaining weight, please let me know.

: )

Melikechili09 05-18-2006 09:20 AM

[FONT=Tahoma]I haven't started taking it yet, but my doctor prescribed it for me. I can't wait, I've heard so many good things about it. I didn't hear about the losing weight thing though, but it would be great if I do lose weight. =-) Lets just hope it doesn't make you gain weight! I really don't need to gain anymore. :rolleyes: She did tell me that my periods will only be 2 days now. :angel: My pharmacy just got YAZ in, they had to order it for me, but my doctor gave me 1 sample. [/FONT]

rharmony 05-18-2006 12:18 PM

Re: Yaz Birth Control for Menopause??

I am 39 and we are pretty certain I am in (peri)menopause already, which totally shocked me.

In Jan./Feb. my skin GLOWED. I mean, I had that peaches and cream porcelain "English" skin. My husband and I were stunned. I've never had bad skin, but not great either.

Then, in March, I crashed. I look like I have small pox for God's sake, and my skin is so painful and horrific looking I am embarassed to leave the house. I have recently learned that this can be one of the many signs of menopause (I have many more as well).

So, my OB/gyn gave me these Yaz sample packs. He said it would "even out my hormones" and relieve symptoms.

I am a little nervous now that I am reading they are so "new". I was thrilled however, to hear they clear up acne, because I have never experienced anything like this before and I just can't handle it anymore. I swore I would NEVER take any kinds of hormones for this, but I have a 3 & 6 year old and can't take care of them while going through these kinds of mood swings and depression! I have NEVER been a "depressed" person, and this is knocking me out. I always thought menopause would be great because you could have "free" sex, but no one ever told me that one of the symptoms is that you completely lose ALL interest and ALL sex drive!! What kind of sick joke is this?

I would love to hear of other people's experiences with this.

Anyone else prescribed for Menopause??

Thanks.

cmhowell 05-19-2006 05:34 AM

Did your periods last 2 days like you doctor said? My doctor just gave Yaz to start on Sunday because my periods have become so severe(they are lasting 9 days). I am hoping this will help, but I had never heard of it before now.

katy12345 05-19-2006 09:31 AM

I just started my second pack, i like it alot so far, my period lasted 2 days and i barely had any cramps.

Melikechili09 05-19-2006 11:05 AM

Yeah I'm just hoping I don't have severe side affects. So far it sounds pretty good though. Almost everyone I've talked to that is already taking it likes it. I've always had long periods and it'll be great only being 2 days.