It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• how long until bc reaches full effectiveness?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-24-2006, 09:52 PM   #1
    evangelgirl77
    (female)

evangelgirl77 HB User
    how long until bc reaches full effectiveness?

Hi,

I just started on birth control pills (generic ortho tri-cyclen). How long does it take until the pills are fully effective? i.e., when can I have sex without worrying about becoming pregnant?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2006, 05:49 AM   #2
    ace8484
    (female)

ace8484 HB User
    Re: how long until bc reaches full effectiveness?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by evangelgirl77
    Hi,

I just started on birth control pills (generic ortho tri-cyclen). How long does it take until the pills are fully effective? i.e., when can I have sex without worrying about becoming pregnant?
    Hi. If you were a "sunday start", You need to wait 7 days for them to be fully effective. If you were a "day 1" start (i.e. started taking the pill in the first 24 hours of your period), you are protected immediately. Most doctors will recommend using backup for the entire first cycle, especially to younger patients, because it is hard to get used to taking a pill at the same time every day. I would highly recommend reading the package insert that came with the pack. There is lots of useful info in there! Save it! You might need it later on in the pack to find out what to do if you miss a pill!. (If you have already thrown it away, you can type in "ortho tri cyclen package insert" into Google or look on the ortho tri cyclen website for one.

Old 04-26-2006, 05:28 PM   #3
    omalll
    (female)

omalll HB User
    Re: how long until bc reaches full effectiveness?

unless you started the pill on the first day of your period, you have to wait 7 days (i.e., take 7 pills without missing any). If you took it the first day of your period, its effective immediately.
    this is only true for your first pack of pills. you dont have to wait a week everytime you start a new pack, as long as you dont miss any pills.
    some doctors say wait 2 weeks, or wait a month or two, but theres no need. after 7 pills, you're as protected as you'll ever be.

Closed Thread