It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• B.C .and the big bad L word

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-11-2006, 01:01 PM   #1
    pinkkangaroo
    (female)

pinkkangaroo HB User
    B.C .and the big bad L word

I am taking kariva and have really now problem with it, but i was curious...since birth control alters your hormones and delivers synthetic hormones into your body...is it better for your sex drive to have higher levels of estradiol ( synthetic estrogen) or lower...and the same question with progestin (synthetic progesterone). im wondering b/c my LIBIDO has declined some and i was considering switching to a method with different levels of estradiol and progestin. thanks so much!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2006, 03:14 PM   #2
    livinTX
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

livinTX HB User
    Re: B.C .and the big bad L word

Well, I've taken about 5 brands of BCP, and on all of them I noticed my libido was nonexistent. It is only improving now that I'm off the pill.

Some women may have luck and not be affected by birth control that way, but I think most women notice their libido decreases significantly or becomes nonexistent on the pill and even the nuva ring. I'm of the opinion that the female hormones in birth control pills decrease libido and that it is the small level of testosterone women have in their bodies naturally that helps with sex drive. Stands to reason if you add a bunch of female hormones to your body, you will decrease the ratio of testosterone to female hormones in your body thereby decreasing your sex drive. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by livinTX; 07-11-2006 at 03:19 PM.

Old 07-11-2006, 03:19 PM   #3
    ace8484
    (female)

ace8484 HB User

Sorry its kind of long! I included a list I found of androgenic activities of oral contraceptives.

Libido has to do with androgenic activity. Some progestins are more androgenic than others.

*Signs of too much androgen: increased appetite, weight gain, acne, oily skin, hirsutism, decreased libido, increased breast size, breast tenderness, increased LDL cholesterol, decreased HDL cholesterol

(I included some brand and generic names too!)

Progestins with high androgenic activity:
    norgestrel (ogestrel)
    Ethynodiol diacetate(demulen)
    norethindrone (estrostep, ovcon, necon, orthonovum, trinorinyl, loestrin, junel, microgestin)

Progestins with low/medium androgenic activity:
    norethindrone (lower doses)
    levonorgestrel (trivora/triphasil/enpresse, plan B, seasonale, levlen/levora/portia)

Progestins with low androgenic activity:
    Desogestrel (kariva, mircette, desogen, cyclessa, velivet)
    Etonogestrel (Nuva ring-active form of desogestrel)
    norgestimate (OTC/OTC lo, trinessa, triprevifem, tri-sprintec)

Anti-androgenic progestins:
    Drospirenone (Yasmin, Yaz)

Old 07-11-2006, 04:05 PM   #4
    Bracelet
    Inactive
    (female)

Bracelet HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pinkkangaroo
    Is it better for your sex drive to have higher levels of estradiol ( synthetic estrogen) or lower...and the same question with progestin (synthetic progesterone). im wondering b/c my LIBIDO has declined some and i was considering switching to a method with different levels of estradiol and progestin. thanks so much!!
    It doesn't matter which pill you choose, they're all crap. I've not met a single woman whether in person or online who did not have some kind of negative consequences to her libido when on hormonal birth control of any kind.

Any pills, nuvaring, or IUD's that you use which have hormones are going to make your sex drive suffer.

That's why the pill sucks and shouldn't be taken by any woman who actually wants a healthy sex life.

Old 07-12-2006, 08:47 AM   #5
    pinkkangaroo
    (female)

pinkkangaroo HB User

Ace 8484, you are seriously my hero!! lol. im glad your answer was long b/c it really helped. and thank you to the others that answered too. you were all helpful. now, ace, i have one more question if you dont mind....if too much androgen in a pill causes decreased libido, then what does low androgen cause? b/c luckily, my pill is in the lower androgen range that you described....as i said i am taking kariva...so i am thinking that it is better for my sex drive....but correct me if im wrong... thanks!

Old 07-12-2006, 09:19 AM   #6
    ace8484
    (female)

ace8484 HB User

It is important to understand that birth control pills work by supressing your body from producing hormones. Therefore the effects can seem a little convoluted.

If the pill has high androgenic activity it will supress your body from naturally producing testosterone (which is important for a good libido) as well as having effects of too much androgens. If the pill has a low androgenic activity, it shouldn't effect your body's production of testosterone (as much).

Normally a woman naturally produces testosterone in small amounts. The naturally produced levels begin dropping from their peak in the 20's. By the time a woman reaches menopause, she only produces 50% of the testosterone she did when she was in her early 20's. Low testosterone levels can cause a decreased libido and a general "not feeling well" (which could be caused by just about anything).

I found it interesting that a small study found that women with PMS, naturally have below-normal levels of testosterone.

Also, remember that vaginal dryness may also contribute to a decreased libido. This is a very common side effect of any birth control pills. It probably won't matter which pill you take because it is more related to estrogen levels, and all birth control pills have the same estrogen, in pretty similar amounts. KY liquid is a good solution.

Old 07-12-2006, 10:05 AM   #7
    fortunsl

fortunsl HB User
    Smile Re: B.C .and the big bad L word

I just wanted to add that I have been taking Yaz for a month and my sex drive has increased quite a bit. We'll see if that lasts or not but at this point I am loving this pill and I have tried tons of them. I've seen quite a few posts about bleeding while taking it though but I wanted to add that I haven't had any breakthrough bleeding while taking it so far. I haven't had any other side effects either. The only thing I notice is that if I forget my pill and don't take it by mid morning I start to get a headahce. I find this to be a good reminder for me to take it though.

Old 07-15-2006, 10:51 AM   #8
    ltyre
    (female)

ltyre HB User

I have just started taking YAZ (day 3 is today), and I switched from OTC-lo due to a non-existent libdo. I hope this will help, my husband gets really frustrated. I also hope that I do not have all of the bleeding I read about, I had no problems with OTC-lo besides the libdo thing. Has anyone else found they have an increased sex drive?

Old 07-15-2006, 01:06 PM   #9
    mys_star
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mys_star HB User
    Lightbulb Re: B.C .and the big bad L word

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bracelet
    It doesn't matter which pill you choose, they're all crap. I've not met a single woman whether in person or online who did not have some kind of negative consequences to her libido when on hormonal birth control of any kind.

Any pills, nuvaring, or IUD's that you use which have hormones are going to make your sex drive suffer.

That's why the pill sucks and shouldn't be taken by any woman who actually wants a healthy sex life.
    well, I've been taking Kariva for years and I have to say, I've had no negative effects at all! This pill is the best I've ever tried. I've had no weight gain, no loss of sex drive (in fact, I want sex all the time!!! ) and my periods are practically non existant! I will be taking these right through menopause!

Old 07-15-2006, 02:20 PM   #10
    crushme
    (female)

crushme HB User

Mine was definitely higher (and pretty high) on the patch..but I got sooooo sick from that every month and it always peeled off. The hormones are also very high on that but on regular pill mine is a little lower and it is a lower dose pill (Kariva/Mircette).

Old 07-15-2006, 03:39 PM   #11
    lily931
    (female)

lily931 HB User

ever since i have started the pill i have noticed my libido has increased... ALOT.

Old 07-17-2006, 01:41 PM   #12
    xtrish2002
    (female)

xtrish2002 HB User

I started taking Yasmin in March and I was very happy because my libido seemed to increase quite a bit. So for 4 months it was great! But for the last 2 weeks my libido has been rapidly decreasing... in another week i'm afraid it'll be non-existant! It's really bumming me out cause my bf and i have a very active sex life.

Old 07-18-2006, 01:33 PM   #13
    erica0102
    (female)

erica0102 HB User

I have been getting the opposite effect with yasmin. I have been on it for one year. I took it for several reasons including increasing my sex drive, increasing breast size, and regulating my period. About all it has done is regulate my period. I have absolutly no sex drive and orgasms are totally out of the question. Because it supresses your appitite I have been losing weight (which in my case is not a good thing at all.) I was switched to Loestrin 24 fe last week. I was going to try it after my next period but this post has concerned me... a LOT actually. So are you saying my libido will get WORSE with loestrin? I read somewhere that higher androgenic content in loestrin is better for sex drive.

Last edited by erica0102; 07-18-2006 at 01:53 PM.

Old 07-18-2006, 02:23 PM   #14
    Bracelet
    Inactive
    (female)

Bracelet HB User

This is honestly the first time i've seen so many women reply that their libido got better while on the pill. I'm not sure how long you've all been on it, but I have heard elsewhere that the percentage of women on the Pill who experience negative effects on their libido is close to 95%.

I believe that when you first go on the pill, you may have the placebo effect of your libido increasing, because you think you're finally safe to have unprotected sex due to allegedly being protected by the pill. However, there are plenty of documented cases of women getting pregnant on the pill, but I think a lot of women actually ignore those stats and just keep having unprotected sex anyway.

But the longer you stay on the pill, the more your libido will begin to decrease. I was on for 14 years and mine is practically nonexistant. I started at 18. I remember still being ok back when I was in my early 20s, but then by about 24 I think is when things started going downhill. I'm 32 now. I've wasted many years having terrible side effects from the pill, one of the worst of which is the lack of sex drive.

And I can tell you that ever since I quit the pill, my sex drive has gotten more normal, and I actually feel a lot better overall.

So, while I think it's great that so many of you are doing well, I think you need to realize that the long term effects of the pill don't bode well for women and their libido.

Last edited by moderator2; 07-18-2006 at 07:18 PM.

Old 09-05-2006, 08:45 PM   #15
    NinjaCowboy
    (female)

NinjaCowboy HB User
    Question Re: B.C .and the big bad L word

I get what you're saying. I've heard it a lot. But I'm still optimistic. Am due to start the pill any day now. Whenever my dear 'Aunt Flo' shows up - lol

Anyway, my only experience with hormonal bc is the 6 1/2 years I was on Depo (This was before all the calcium depletion info was common knowledge). I've been off it about 3 years now, but from what I've read, I had it good. No periods at all from day one - returned like clockwork 3 months after my last shot. Gained a little weight & a few cavities (unusual for me). Otherwise no problems to speak of.

But back to the point, I have always had a VERY high libido. My boyfriend complains (jokingly, of course) that he's not sure he can keep up with me. Even on Depo (which is, from what I've read, close to public enemy #1 when it comes to libido), I was still "in the mood". Just more like a few times a week instead of a few times a day. Also probably had a bit of dryness as a side effect with Depo. I say probably because I have really bad nasal allergies and am almost always taking some sort of decongestant, which has that unfortunate side effect as well. So have already decided that I need to have a bottle of good lube on hand at all times.
    (and he REALLY likes the warming kind - lol)

Anyway, my question is - how significant is the decrease in libido, on average? From everything I've heard/read the effect is much less on the pill than on Depo. Which I would actually be happy with - I think. The effect with the shot was a bit excessive, but I get the feeling that the pill might make me more of a 'normal chick' in this regard. I mean, it's not like this is a new relationship or anything, yet whenever we try to watch a movie at home, we never see more than the first half-hour. Lol - is getting expensive in rental fees for things we haven't actually watched!

I guess I'm looking for opinions from women that had a really high libido naturally, and how much it was affected. Cause I get the feeling (from what I've read on these boards) that if it was only so-so to begin with, once on the pill, it most likely disappeared.

Thanks in advance for any insight

Closed Thread