It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• No more Patch for me.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-30-2006, 01:12 AM   #1
    kaleidoscope
    (female)

kaleidoscope HB User
    Lightbulb No more Patch for me.

I was on the Evra patch for several months. The side effects I noticed were spotting for the entire first month and irritation at the application site that seemed to worsen with time (I've got sensitive skin). However, this was during a stressful time in my life so I wouldn't have connected any negative effects to the patch itself.

I went off the patch for a month because I wasn't sexually active. I felt fantastic and lost a noticeable amount of weight; however, I attributed this to the other lifestyle changes I'd made.

This month, I went back on the patch and experienced worse side effects than I remembered. I felt nauseous, exhausted, and bloated. I gained 5-10 pounds in a few days (and I'm not a big person). I'm on my third patch (I started on the first day of my period) and I'm STILL bleeding! Not good- I'm prone to iron deficiency anemia. I still have a bit of a rash from the first week's patch, and the second week's patch itched most of the time. I feel generally icky, so it's no wonder I'm less interested in sex... which kinda defeats the purpose of the patch!

I searched the net for information about my symptoms and found the warning about 60% higher hormone levels than most pills. I started the patch before the warning existed, and was NOT aware of it. In fact, I thought the patch released LESS hormones (since they went directly into your bloodstream instead of having to pass through the digestive system) and the risks were the same as the pill.

It just isn't worth the convenience. Heck, I probably spend more time every day checking that the patch is sticking than it takes to swallow a pill, and the patch + sticky dirt is just ugly. I'm going to switch to a low-dose pill for my next cycle.

The Following User Says Thank You to kaleidoscope For This Useful Post:
    Raelynn (07-03-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread