It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• Just started Ortho Tri-cyclen Lo

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-01-2006, 09:02 AM   #1
    Ladykit1980
    (female)

Ladykit1980 HB User
    Red face Just started Ortho Tri-cyclen Lo

Ok, prior to being 18 I always had a very irregular period so when I turned 18 (1998) I started Ortho Tri-cyclen (regular strength) just to get my period regular (I was still a virgin when I started). I was on Ortho reg. for 6 years (during which time I lost my virginity) and decided after breaking up with my last bf, I would come off the pill to see if I was regular at all. And I wasn't. Far from it. So two years later (26 months later to be exact - during which time I had only 12 periods varying in how long they lasted) I got really annoyed with my irregularity and had started seeing a new guy so I decided I'd go back on the pill. This time my doctor prescribed Ortho Lo. I started it on Tuesday July 18th (was still on my period after 3.5 weeks) and my period didn't stop until July 27th (3rd pill of the 2nd row). My bf and I had sex for the first time on July 28th during which time the condom fell off inside me but we didn't know it until he pulled out just before ******* (and then had to get the condom out of me).

Now yesterday I've noticed some light spotting (light brown blood) and now today have a very light flow of blood. Why would I be having my period when I'm just about to start my third week of the pill? I know I've just started the Ortho Lo pill but when I started the Ortho regular I never had this problem. My biggest concern is what happens if I got pregnant when the condom fell off and I'm still taking the pill? Is this normal for the first month of taking Ortho Lo?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2006, 09:33 AM   #2
    livinTX
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

livinTX HB User
    Re: Just started Ortho Tri-cyclen Lo

You're probably having breakthrough bleeding. It is a common side effect especially of low-dose pills. I tried ortho-lo for awhile, but I was bleeding 3 weeks out of the month. Your body may adjust in 3 months, but mine never did. You might have to try a higher dose pill.

Old 08-01-2006, 10:03 AM   #3
    Nadeva
    (female)

Nadeva HB User

Give it time. If you suspect pregnancy take a test in a 3-4 weeks. I have lighter flow and it is my brown than red from being on BC

Old 08-02-2006, 07:14 AM   #4
    AA06
    (female)

AA06 HB User

i had breakthrough bleeding on ortho lo in the very beginning, but it only last a week or so. i only started getting my period when i was 16 and started the pill at almost 18. in between that time i only had a total of 6 periods because of being so irregular. when i go off the pill my gyno says i'll go back to being the way i was before and that my body will need time to balance itself out.

Old 08-02-2006, 08:34 PM   #5
    Ladykit1980
    (female)

Ladykit1980 HB User
    Unhappy Re: Just started Ortho Tri-cyclen Lo

Yeah, my periods have been very irregular since the beginning (started at 12) and when I started the pill the first time (18yo) I became so regular it was awesome. Then when I stopped the pill at age 23 I went back to becoming very irregular.

I'm still having my period right now. It's been really light some days, almost a brownish colour, but then other days it's really red. But not heavy (no clots or anything). I guess it's been about a week since I've been having it now. Hopefully it doesn't last much longer. My bf leaves on the 23rd to go back to school and we'll want to have sex before he goes. Sex during a period is so gross. Ewww.

Thanks for all your posts. At least I know not to freak if I'm not the only one with this problem.

Old 08-09-2006, 09:05 AM   #6
    Ladykit1980
    (female)

Ladykit1980 HB User
    Unhappy Re: Just started Ortho Tri-cyclen Lo

Ok, now I don't know what I've done. Yesterday I managed to get my precreption increased to Ortho-Tri cyclen regular (instead of lo because I've been spotting for the past two weeks on lo and I don't think it was just breakthrough bleeding). Normally I should be off the pill this week (don't have the placebo's in the 21 day pack) but I decided I'd just go ahead and start the new pack because I wanted to re-organize when my period occurs (would have had my period while visiting my bf during Thanksgiving). So I took the frist pill of the new pack yesterday at about 7:00 pm (about the normal time I've been taking them) and starting this morning, I've been bleeding heavily and had really bad cramps. Is this because I've increased the pill or because I didnt' go a week without taking them? I've never been known to get really bad cramping like this. Any ideas if it will just be the one time? I've taken Ortho regular before (from 1998 to 2004) and never had this problem. Any suggestions?

Old 08-09-2006, 05:00 PM   #7
    punkybear
    Veteran
    (female)

punkybear HB User

It's probably because you didn't take the week of placebo pills. A lot of women that skip the placebos have bleeding anyway. I wouldn't worry too bad. You are probably better off on the regular ortho tri cyclen. I am on ortho lo and found out today that I might have another cyst (my third in the year of being on it) and the dr said that it might be too low to be suppressing my ovaries. That's comforting!

Closed Thread