It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• Depo provera vs. IVU

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-03-2006, 07:55 AM   #1
    sherri5418
    (female)

sherri5418 HB User
    Depo provera vs. IVU

HI Ladies,

I am looking for more information on the depo provera shot and its effects, versus the intro uterine form of birth control Mirina. I need to find a new birth control that will stop my periods so that the pain from my cysts and endometriosis will stop, until my husband and i are ready for our second child. After my second child i have no choice but to have a hysterectomy, and I am only 21.

If anyone has any experience with either of these please let me know. Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2006, 01:38 PM   #2
    jenn1v
    (female)

jenn1v HB User
    Re: Depo provera vs. IVU

Hi,

I was on depo and have now the pargard IUD(non-horomal one). I would suggest the IUD instead of the depo. I was on depo for about 1 year and a few months and i had some pretty bad side effects from it. I didn't realize that the depo was making me sick till a year of taking it and then i had to go though the months of depo withdrawal. I believe that both depo and mirena have the same hormones but the mirena is much less and it's released little amounts each day where depo is injected in a full amount at each shot. Also, i suggest reading old posts here for both depo and mirena. Good luck.

Old 09-04-2006, 10:04 AM   #3
    ~*Michelle*~
    (female)

~*Michelle*~ HB User

I am now on Depo got the shot about 10 days ago. SO far no side effects. They say depo causes weight gain as being the biggest side effect but elsewhere i read it only causes weight gain cuz it increases your appetite. as long as you excerise and eat right youw ont have the weight gain. BUT the biggest thing is about your second child. i read where it took someone almost 5 years to get pregnant after being off the shot. Depo is good short term i wouldnt suggest it for using over 2 years because of bone density loss. someone told me i should do extensive research and i did and found out alot of info.

As for the IUD my family doctor suggested not using it. Every women is different and most have good luck with it but he told me they can get imbedded..they can fall out of place and they can cause infections and MAJOR cramping and severe bleeding. When i went to my clinic to get the shot she said if i got the IUD i would have to keep checking (with fingers) to make sure the string is still there. my opinion is that would be annoying and i would constantly be worrying about it. But you can also have your husband/ whoever check with a flashlight if you arent comfortable with checking yourself.

This is a big decision. im glad a poster told me i should of reasearched the depo but i had already gotten the shot and there was nothing i could do about it. Apparently depo is the most effective birth control compared to a tubal or vasecomy.

Good luck i hope everything works out for you.

Old 09-05-2006, 12:40 AM   #4
    barton93
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

barton93 HB User

If I were you.......I would avoid Depo, especially since you want another child. I did not have a good experience on Depo (infertility after Depo was just 1 of the things that went wrong for me). Do a search of my username and find all of my depo posts. My story is so long and I get so sick of typing it out constantly.........so it's easier for me to just direct you this way. I know..........I'm being lazy!!!

Old 09-05-2006, 12:02 PM   #5
    ~*Michelle*~
    (female)

~*Michelle*~ HB User

All women are different.

Many women have trouble getting pregnant after depo but also manyhave gotten pregnant right off it. how do you think people get pregnant while on it? they miss their next shot. all it takes is a couple days of not having that shot and they are pregnant.
    All pills shots whatever are all the same. they all do the same thing. they all have the same side effects and the same trouble getting pregnant after use or even becoming pregnant on it.

So like i was saying with my own personal expirience so far the shot is "ok" i have no side effects so far a little cramping but thats it.

Do a search on depo provera reviews you will see all the reviews that people are saying and you will see all are different. Like the previous poster stated she had trouble...i am not. so it goes to show everyone is different. down the road i may have trouble but so far so good.

use your own discretion you may have to try a few to see what one suits. i personally would not go woth a pill.

Depo is close to being as effective as a tubal or vasectomy. Pills are iffy because if you miss one your in trouble also if you are sick and vomit within 2 hours of taking the pill then its considered a missed pill. i suffered bad side effects from ortho lo.

hope this helps.

Old 09-05-2006, 08:32 PM   #6
    barton93
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

barton93 HB User

"Many women have trouble getting pregnant after depo but also manyhave gotten pregnant right off it. how do you think people get pregnant while on it? they miss their next shot. all it takes is a couple days of not having that shot and they are pregnant."

True.......many have problems.......many don't. But, it seems like that is a 50/50 chance that any woman takes these days with Depo use. Are you willing to take that chance knowing that the risk is that way?

"All pills shots whatever are all the same. they all do the same thing. they all have the same side effects and the same trouble getting pregnant after use or even becoming pregnant on it."

Not true! Most bc pills have progestin and estrogen while Depo is strictly progestin. Depo also ceases ovulation in most all cases. The side effects are not the same. Depo can lead to loss of bone density in addition to other things.

"So like i was saying with my own personal expirience so far the shot is "ok" i have no side effects so far a little cramping but thats it."

IMO........you don't know whether it is ok or not until you stop it. If your body returns to normal.......then ok......your experience was fine. If you are like me.........and your body doesn't return to normal for 10 years and you experience secondhand infertility.......then the experience is not normal. The biggest problem for me was getting my hormones back to normal levels after stopping Depo. My periods were absent for the 2 years on Depo (as was ovulation). It took me about 9 years before my periods began regulating on their own.

"Depo is close to being as effective as a tubal or vasectomy."

Knowing that............and if you want children.........then you should reconsider it! Also, Depo at one time was being used as chemical castration in sex offenders before it was introduced as birth control! We are injecting that same thing into our bodies as birth control!

Last edited by barton93; 09-05-2006 at 08:36 PM.

Old 09-08-2006, 09:46 AM   #7
    ~*Michelle*~
    (female)

~*Michelle*~ HB User

Barton- whats your method? i would love to know because then i would switch.

I have 2 children and a soon to be step son. I do not want more children and i certainly dont want to take the chance on a condom breaking and a pregnancy happening.

do you know how many women are on birth control? How about all these women that run out and get pregnancys terminated. i think to myself wow they need to be on birth control instead of running to have it terminated because welfare insurance PAYS for it!!!

As for you saying depo is not the same as other BC why not? bone density is only lost when you are on it for years and years and maybe the rare percentage of it happening sooner. also it is recomennded women on it take calcium tablets which is not a problem i feel everyone should be on vitamins especially how food is made nowadays. theres not many REAL ingrediaents that give you the source of iron..calcium..etc.

About the only thing i dont like about BC is when young girls 15 or 16 take it and think they can do anything because they dont need to worry about about condoms but HIV is out there bad!! its spreading so fast! and i personally know ALOT of younger girls that unfortunately have it.

please dont take offence of this post no way at all do i mean to be harsh but i do see you post alot and you state the same things over again but i never read what you method is for safe birth control and id like to know what it is

i do hear about people going the natural way and buying ovulation things so they know when to not have sex. ive thought of that route but thats about 50% safe. If birth control was as bad as you make it out to sound i really dont think the FDA would allow it. and until they ban the HUNDREDS of types then ill listen.

Talk soon

Old 09-08-2006, 04:40 PM   #8
    barton93
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

barton93 HB User

Michelle.........I don't take any bc pill, shots, patches, etc!!! If I knew that I never wanted anymore children, I'd have my tubes tied. I wouldn't mind another child. The whole thing is that I don't want to have to deal with infertility treatments, so on and so forth. So, if I ended up pregnant with no assistance.........then so be it. When I know with 100% certainty that I am done having children, I will have my tubes tied. I'm not actively trying to get pregnant, but if it did happen, I wouldn't be upset.

When I was on birth control, I was on Loestrin. I liked that pill a lot. I had no problems when I was on it. I was put on it to regulate my periods. I was not on it to prevent pregnancy. I was on it for a year, then stopped for a couple of reasons. First, after stopping it, my periods have returned and are for once regular. Second, since my body is now finally returning to normal.......I'm too afraid to risk throwing it back out of whack.

I haven't taken any offense to any of your posts........and I hope that you aren't taking any offense to mine. I'm just simply trying to put the message out there to women that Depo can have a negative effect. I'm sure any bc can have a negative effect.........which again, is why I'm trying to stay away from it all. I know what I have been through after using Depo, and all I can do is hope that I can make even 1 woman think about it before she uses it or before she takes another injection. I hate to think that there are people using this bc when they don't realize that there are people like me who had such a bad experience with it.

As for bone density..........Depo is not recommended for longer than 2 years. Knowing that the risk is even there, I wouldn't take it. It is too risky. I have never had a bone density test done, so I don't know if it has affected me. They say that if you do end up with bone density loss, that it should reverse itself, but how long will that take??? They say that your periods should return within 6 months or however many months after stopping the shot. Well, it took 5 years for mine to return!!! So, I have a hard time believing anything they say because it didn't happen with me that way. It was opposite.........to the extreme.

FDA.........no they haven't pulled Depo off the market. But, it already has 1 black box warning. The FDA relys on users experiences to help them determine if something is safe. I wouldn't be too shocked if one day I saw Depo pulled off the shelves.

Old 09-09-2006, 12:25 PM   #9
    ~*Michelle*~
    (female)

~*Michelle*~ HB User

Hello Barton

I take no offense at all from your posts. I`m learning alot from what you are saying.

Heres a question im hoping you can answer because im not understanding..Ok they say depo causes weight gain (apparently alot of BC does) now i read where it can cause weight gain because of it increasing your appetite. i have posted before if you eat right and excercise than you dont gain weight. another poster told me she gained weight and made it clear she was not lazy and did not eat alot.Thats what i dont understand.
    in my eyes theres are only 2 things that of course cause someone to gain weight which are "over eating" and "water retention" what else is there in birthcontrol that causes weight gain?

im assuming nothing..ive taken it upon myself to beat the cravings of cookies..ice cream..and chips. therefore if i dont eat those types of food then i wont gain weight. its not possible unless of a medication causing water retention which if thats the case then it can cured through a water pill. im 29 and i need to start eating healthier anyways.. and i am on a medicine that has a side effect of edema which caused me to gain 10 pounds in a month and a half WAY BEFORE I EVEN GOT THE SHOT and now ive lost a little over 2 pounds of that while being on the shot. I hope i didnt confuse at all

Michelle

Old 09-10-2006, 11:55 PM   #10
    barton93
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

barton93 HB User

Hey Michelle..........I honestly don't recall the Depo causing my appetite to increase. I didn't eat any different than I had before Depo. I began gaining weight within a couple of months of using Depo and about 6 months after I began using it, I had gained almost 50 pounds. I began the shot after having my daughter. I gained 44 lbs during that pregnancy and had lost all but 7 pounds when I began the Depo. I don't know why I gained so much weight cause I didn't change a thing. One thing I am 100% guilty of though is that I didn't exercise at all............although I had never really exercised before Depo either. So, I literally changed nothing.

When I was on the pill, I didn't gain any weight at all. I don't know why the Depo made me gain so much.

Old 09-12-2006, 08:41 AM   #11
    ~*Michelle*~
    (female)

~*Michelle*~ HB User

I dont know either. its crazy. Dont feel guilty i dont exercise either! i dont have time to.

Now im wondering whats going on. like i said before im also on LYRICA for my pinched nerves in my neck which im going to a chiropractor for and i should be able to quit that medicine soon! i cant wait. but i noticed it has a side of Edema.
    For the past 4 days i havent been able to take a full deep breath and i constantly feel like yawning but CANT!!! its very frustrating. i just called the clinic and she said it would of effected me shortly after getting depo but i honestly think i had this trouble shortly after geting it but just didnt pay any attention. If i lean forward i can take a deep breath when im standing i cant and i get worse when im walking and talking at the same time and now even on the phone. im waiting for the dr to call me back to see what to do. i even wake up at night feeling like i stopped breathing. so theres a few factors on whats causing this.

1. Some kind of sleep apnea ( i only get 5 hours of sleep at night)
    2. im exhausted maybe im just too tired out.
    3. Water retention caused from LYRICA
    4. The shot maybe?

i dont know. what do you make of all this?

oh and i started "spotting" only for 1 day. im concerned now about my breathing.

Old 09-12-2006, 03:49 PM   #12
    barton93
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

barton93 HB User

Michelle.........I don't know what to say about that. Maybe you are having some sort of reaction to one or both of the meds. I would try to get into a doc right away, and if you can't and still see that you are having breathing problems then you should maybe go to the ER. If your breathing issues wake you up at night, that can't be good.

Old 09-13-2006, 11:22 AM   #13
    dynastasia
    (female)

dynastasia HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Depo provera vs. IVU

hi, I haev been on depo for a year and a half. Yes, its cheap.. there are some drawbacks. If you are overweight to begin with, it will take you to your max... if your are in good shape you may experience a little weight gain usually about 7lbs. Most doctors pit it in your arm or hip. I think my labido has suffered as well. I was overweight when i started, anf gained 30lbs.. but.. when i realized what was happening after a month at the gym.. i had already lost 20.. and from there 50 more. So it for some reason will make you fat if you dont excercise if you are already overweight.. but you will easily loose weight. My doctor was amazed with my weight loss.. as he was with the gain!
    But... buyer beware, labido drops.. weight issues.. and if you are depressed normally it will make it worse. Besides that.. i live a pretty full.. period free life...
    I havent had a period in a year.. you get the occasonal pink discharge.. but its so light.

Closed Thread