It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

Birth-control patch label warns of risk

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-20-2006, 11:01 PM   #1
Bracelet
Inactive
(female)

Bracelet HB User
Thumbs down Birth-control patch label warns of risk

This was a news headline today, if you are interested in the full article, please do a news search for the headline.

An excerpt:
Quote:
The Food and Drug Administration said it updated the label on the Ortho Evra birth-control patch to reflect the results of one study that found women using the patch faced twice the risk of clots than did women on the pill.
Please think twice about using the birth control patch!! It is very, very dangerous, and new studies are (thankfully) coming out every day indicating the risk associated. If you don't believe me, news search for it yourself and you will see the headlines from today, September 20th.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2006, 07:46 AM   #2
galinaqt
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User
Re: Birth-control patch label warns of risk

I love patch 'cause it is so convenient to use and I am not a pill person. I always forgot to take them, yasmin causes me headaches and stomaches so I reluctant to give up patch.

Old 09-21-2006, 02:57 PM   #3
wakkochic17
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

I've actually thought about going back on the patch because it gives me less side effects than pills do... and it made my breasts a half size bigger! LOL!

Old 09-21-2006, 04:15 PM   #4
Bracelet
Inactive
(female)

Bracelet HB User

Just use it with extreme caution, and be very, very careful with the patch.

Old 09-24-2006, 01:16 PM   #5
LadyMirabelle
(female)

LadyMirabelle HB User

If your doctor is monitoring it, I'm sure that it's alright for you to be on the patch. BUT, Definitely be aware of the signs of blood clots, though: pain in the calf or leg muscle, swelling, tenderness, discoloration, prominent veins, coughing up blood, shortness of breath, chest pain, pain in the back, shoulder or upper abdomen, dizziness, fainting, painful respiration, new onset of wheezing, and any new heart arrhythmia.

I took that from my pill-pack insert. Blood clots are dangerous, and everyone on a form of hormonal contraception (with estrogen) is at some risk. Just be aware of the signs so you can help yourself asap if you notice any of them!

-Mirabelle

Closed Thread