It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

Anyone Use YAZ? - Please read

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-19-2006, 08:57 AM   #1
Catherine83
(female)

Catherine83 HB User
Anyone Use YAZ? - Please read

Hello - I'm new to birth control and my doctor gave me YAZ to try and see how I like it. I haven't started it yet because I read that it has to be started on the first day of your period. So, my question is, how do you like YAZ and what side effects have you had while taking it? Also, how long does it take to kick in? Months?

Since I'm new to all this I tried to read all of the directions on how to take it but I'm still a little lost. So, please correct me if I'm wrong... I have 24 pink and 4 white...so I start the first pink one on the 1st day of my period...then I keep taking all the 24 pink ones every day for 24 days and then the 4 white ones for 4 days. Then am I suppose to get my period as soon as the white ones have been taken?? How does that work? Will my period come on the exact day that I should take the next pink one?? I've never had a period that came on the exact day that it was suppose to so I'm really excited about getting started on these for regularity. Thanks so much - Catherine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2006, 12:01 PM   #2
soccermomof2
(female)

soccermomof2 HB User
Re: Anyone Use YAZ? - Please read

I just finished my first pack of Yaz and am 4 pills into my 2nd pack. I have not had any side effects yet. My ob/gyn said it takes like 3 months to get in your system. I am taking it to regulate my hormones and to help with acne. I have not seen any results to help acne, good or bad. I hope it starts to kick in soon. I will keep you posted with any changes that I may have. I have heard good things about Yaz, despite what is on this Board. I read one time in a post to not believe everything on the posts about medications b/c most people are on the posts b/c the medications have not worked for them. I try to remember that and stay positive. So, I give you that advice too.

Old 10-19-2006, 12:04 PM   #3
Catherine83
(female)

Catherine83 HB User

Thanks for the info. Please do keep me posted on how you like it. I too have heard good and bad about it but everyone's system is different so I will keep that in mind. Thanks - Catherine

Old 10-25-2006, 11:04 AM   #4
I heart NYC
(female)

I heart NYC HB User

Hi ladies,

I'm finishing up my 6th month of Yaz and thought I'd share a bit about my experience. I didn't see any changes in my acne (I had light acne on face and some on back), until I was well into my 3rd month of Yaz. My acne cleared up quite well, but I do notice that I tend to have one or two small pimples during the week of my period.

My first few months on Yaz were a little tough. I had been off the pill for 1 year, and prior had been on Ortho-TriCylcen (which I LOVED) for 3 years. My doctor suggest Yaz as it is supposed to help with acne and also for the shorter periods. I had extreme fatigue while on Yaz for the first 2 months or so to the point where I would nap after coming home from work! I started to change my eating habits so that I would stay awake later, and I think between that and just getting used to the pill, it helped.

I have lost some weight, but I'm not sure if that is due exclusively to Yaz or the fact that I walk everywhere now). Either way, it's a nice side effect.

My periods have been very different than they were on Ortho or without the pill. They are about 2-3 days long, but I have bad cramping for the first day or so. Also, I'm usually on placebo pill number 3 by the time I get my period. They are better than when I'm not on the pill but I remember not having cramps on Ortho. I still have PMS, but not to the same extent. Mostly I just get very worn down and need to eat sugar/caffeine to get through the day, which again - not the case on Ortho. As you can tell, I'm thinking about switching back to Ortho just cause it was a more pleasant experience.

Hope this helps. Let me know how you both are doing.

Last edited by I heart NYC; 10-25-2006 at 11:06 AM.

Old 10-26-2006, 08:20 AM   #5
tfinn29
(female)

tfinn29 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by I heart NYC

My first few months on Yaz were a little tough. I had been off the pill for 1 year, and prior had been on Ortho-TriCylcen (which I LOVED) for 3 years. My doctor suggest Yaz as it is supposed to help with acne and also for the shorter periods. I had extreme fatigue while on Yaz for the first 2 months or so to the point where I would nap after coming home from work! I started to change my eating habits so that I would stay awake later, and I think between that and just getting used to the pill, it helped.

I am fighting the fatigue right now. My first month I was sick with a viral infection and really could not tell if it was my cold or the pill that was making me tired. Fast forward a month and I am still tired. But the fatigue seems to come and go now. I was wondering what changes did you make in your eating habits to help you stay awake?

I come home from work and just want to pass out. Lately I've been trying to go to the gym after work in hopes of increasing my energy levels.

Old 11-02-2006, 01:24 PM   #6
cassidy16f
(female)

cassidy16f HB User

My doctor gave me 3 sample packs of YAZ and I'm trying to figure out whether I want to take it or not too. My purpose is to reduce PMS symptoms/PMMD and to clear up acne. It sounds like results are mixed. There really isn't enough information out there that I can find and I've even done a medical journal search and little is shown. This med just got released in April, so I'm trying to figure out if it is really the best choice. Any help or advice would be great. i especially would like to hear from anyone who it actually DID work for. There are plenty of complaints it seems...the last thing I want is fatigue and cramps...yuck! Help please!

Old 11-04-2006, 03:04 PM   #7
tUrRrRa
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I am currently on Yasmin and really liked it, but I have dealt with mild depression/mood swings/anxiety and I don't know if they are related at all, but I am thinking about switching just in case. Before the pill, I would go sometimes 8 months without a period and I would get very sick during each period and throw up a lot. Luckily I never got bad cramps, but the throwing up got pretty bad and it was never good not knowing when to expect my period. Yasmin helps so much with this and I don't get cramps and I only get a tiny stomach ache, which Advil can help with. Sometimes I am very tired, but I think that is just from my lifestyle and not enough sleep. I have a low self esteem and struggle with my confidence in that I am very hard on myself and a perfectionist, and I get depressed sometimes and recently have been dealing with anxiety. I get nervous a lot for no reason and sometimes feel like there is pressure on my throat, making it harder to breathe. I have been on the pill for years so I don't know if this would cause it so much later.

I want to go on another combination pill (Yasmin is) and I Know Yaz is. I like how they are 99.9% accurate, and I was not interested in Ortho Tri Cyclen b/c every now and then I like to skip a period and didn't think I could do that with one where each pill didn't have the same dosage. I don't want to go on Seasonale though.. I wouldn't want to go THAT long without periods.. I just do it for when I go on vacation or something like that and skip the placebo pills or delay it a week. This is safe to do with Yasmin.

I just want to be able to relax and be HAPPY and not so moody!! I really don't want to get off the pill and enjoy the good side effects it gives me. I think Yasmin helped with my skin. I get occasional breakouts but it used to be so oily that I wasn't able to control it. Now it's combination/normal and easier to deal with.

Has anyone tried both Yaz and Yasmin and have any differences they see besides shorter periods? Mine is about 5 days with 1 skipping in the middle with Yasmin.

Old 11-10-2006, 12:36 PM   #8
Catherine83
(female)

Catherine83 HB User

I just started Yaz 2 days ago because I'm trying to get regulated. I get about 6 periods a year and I'm hoping that this will help. Besides the hair falling out issues that I've read about, has anyone else experienced anything bad from taking Yaz?

Old 11-19-2006, 09:51 PM   #9
belva
(female)

belva HB User

Hi Everyone! I am new here, was googling Yaz and found this site. I have been on and off the pill for 13 years...honestly think I have tried everyone out there. Some were awful, others worked great for a year or two and then stopped working. ALL of them I developed pretty bad depression with, enough so that I had to go on Wellbutrin to combat it. I would forget the pill altogether, but without it, I have really long, heavy periods...I mean 3 weeks, with at least 10 days of awful bleeding. Surgery is my only other option, and I am not ready for that yet. I tried going off the pill again last spring, stuck it out for 6 months in the hopes it would straighten out, but, didnt happen. My OB recommended YAZ. I had used Yasmin for two years with great results, till it stopped working. I am now on my third pill pack of Yaz. Let me tell you, it has been PURE HELL. I have been so tired, cant get through the day without a 2 hour nap, I have been popping iron pills like mad, nothign helps. My moods went CRAZY. As I hadnt been on a pill, I had been off the wellbutrin, and wanted to see if I coudl do Yaz without it. Nuh-uh. After becoming a horrible mother and wife, raging and crying and flipping out, I finally went back on it. First 6 weeks on Yaz, i bled almost non stop. HOWEVER>>>this period, was 2 DAYS!!! and so light I only used a pantyliner. Worst of all, for me anyway, is my face. I always battle acne, exact for a few blessed months here and there on certain pills, and was hopeful Yaz would help. My skin looks like a minefield. Worse than ever. So naturally, I am getting ready to throw in the towel, but, having tried so many pills, I do know that it ALWAYS takes me a FULL 3 months to get regulated. So i am sticking it out for a few more weeks. I have seen a few similar posts, and some have said after that first three months, everythign got great. So, since I am in need of reassurance, thought i would not only look around, but post what was happening with me as well, in case anyone else was in the same boat. I will post back in a few weeks, let ou know if things get better! Sorry for the lengthy post, lot to say!

Old 11-20-2006, 10:38 PM   #10
Shaw
(female)

Shaw HB User

I just got off my first month of Yaz..and it was horrible. Extreme fatigue, exhaustion, mood-swings,acne and weight gain. I have moderate acne, and have not had back acne for a couple years until taking Yaz. I would get the deep cyst like acne on my back, chest, and also bad breakouts on my face. I had been taking Yasmin for about 4 years and liked it great-helped with acne,lighter periods, and weight loss. I switched to Yaz because I started to get extremely nauseous the last couple months taking Yasmin, to the point where the nausea would last all day and even disrupt sleep. Yaz was supposed to help with nausea, acne, etc but did the opposite. Yaz made me so sick and nauseous! Also Yaz made me incredibly hungry throughout the day- and also I gained over 10 lbs...all of this in the first month!!! And finally, I could sleep all day it seemed...Yaz made me so tired ..I felt drowsy all day-even if I took a 2 hour nap(which i did!) almost like i took a dose of nyquil. I decided to not take the second pack for the second month ...any suggestions on a better birth control pill?

Old 11-20-2006, 10:45 PM   #11
Shaw
(female)

Shaw HB User

I also forgot to post that my bra size increased a full CUP SIZE... went from a D to a DD..and very swollen... now that i am off of it my boobs seem to be decreasing back to their normal size...thank god

Old 11-21-2006, 02:35 PM   #12
leigh_j
(female)

leigh_j HB User

Hi there,

I have been on YAZ for 5 months now, starting 6... and love it. First of all, everyone reacts differently to every pill. You will have to try it yourself to see what works for you. Do try to give it the full 3 months. I had fatigue in the first couple of months so I took it in the evening, around 5. I started sleeping better and the fatigue went away. I have never had a problem with acne, so I can't help you much there. My boobs have grown - and I was already a DD. And they were sore for a long while, but not now. I started BC because my periods have become so heavy, painful, and I had huge blood clots. The few things that bothered me in the beginning about YAZ were better than the alternative!! I feel better now all around. It has helped me tremendously.

My personal experience, my period comes on the 4th white pill and used to last about 5 days, but not painful and not too heavy. In the past 2 months it's lasted about 3 - 4 days and very light. HEAVEN!!!

Good luck to you and just take the hints your body will give you....

Old 01-18-2007, 11:24 AM   #13
tbraz77
(female)

tbraz77 HB User

Hi All, I am new to this site and will also be new to YAZ. I used Loestrin FE for about 11 years. I wanted to try something different because I felt as though the pill decreased my sex drive. So I had an IUD put in. After about a year of that I had enough. Heavy periods and extreme cramps!!! So I just had it taken out and I decided I would try yaz. My OB said that it has a diuretic effect that would probably help decrease water rention. I am a little nervous after reading all the different comments. I will check back often to see how everyone is doing with it. Wish me luck!!

Old 01-19-2007, 12:13 AM   #14
Becky1985
(female)

Becky1985 HB User

hi i have been on Yasmine for close to a yr now i love it! no side affects. and the hormone levels are lower so i don't have those nasty mood swings spotting or anything like that. I really recommend it to my friends around town i know that this is a little late but i really hope you are finding it helpful and a good BC

Closed Thread