It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• YAZ and Cortisol Levels

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-20-2006, 04:48 PM   #1
    Fairest44
    (female)

Fairest44 HB User
    YAZ and Cortisol Levels

I have been on Yaz for 7 months. I just stopped taking them last week. Over the past 3 months my hair has shed like crazy and my hair's texture has completely changed. I went to the gyno and the encironologist to get blood work done to rule out and underlying problems. Both of them didn't seem to buy into the birth control and hair loss connection.
    So, I got my lab work back and my cortisol results were sky high. The enciro said that birth control does not mess with the results. But that makes no sense because Yaz messes with your adrenal gland.

Anyways, it frustrating. I researched this topic and it says if you are taking oral contraceptives then your lab results might be scewed. I'm going back in 3 weeks to take this test again without being on bc.

Has anyone else ever experienced this?
    Also, withdrawing from YAZ has been a nightmare. I'm starting to feel better though. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks ladies

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2006, 09:44 PM   #2
    Zenobiadestiny
    (female)

Zenobiadestiny HB User
    Re: YAZ and Cortisol Levels

do a google search on Yasmin(which is similar to Yaz) and hair loss. You will be amazed at what you come up with. Maybe you should print off the google search and give it to your gyn and endo doctors.

Old 10-21-2006, 02:21 PM   #3
    jello100
    (female)

jello100 HB User

Fairest, did you ever figure out if it was the Yaz that was effecting your cortisol levels? Im going through the exact same thing now. My Dr thinks I have cushings and Im wondering if its the Yaz. Thanks

Old 10-21-2006, 06:27 PM   #4
    Fairest44
    (female)

Fairest44 HB User

I haven't gotten my blood work since being off of Yaz, but I honestly know it has to be from the yaz. I found some data regarding Spiro (which is in Yaz) and high cortisol.
    Yaz messes with your adrenal glands and are synthetic hormones. They also deplete your vitamin B, which helps control cortisol. If you aren't taking vitamin B, start. All oral contraceptives deplete these vitamins. That's why a lot of times women get depressed and moody so easily.

If you are going through the same thing, I would stop taking it, it's not working for your body. My doctor said I was points away from having cushings too! He said twice "birth control does NOT effect your cortisol"
    It sure in the hell does... FRUSTRATING.

I will keep you posted when I get my blood work. Honestly, I don't think Yaz is safe. Back to the world of condoms (yuck). But, I'd rather have my hair and sanity...oh, and not cushings

Old 10-22-2006, 06:25 PM   #5
    jello100
    (female)

jello100 HB User

Im going to stop taking it. My hair is also falling out in clumps, its not worth it. Ive got an MRI on Wednesday due to high cortisol levels. I guess I will go through with it even though I am pretty certain that it is the Yaz now.
    Were any of your other blood levels off? I also had low growth hormone and ACTH.

Old 10-26-2006, 06:17 PM   #6
    lily2400
    (female)

lily2400 HB User

I took Yaz for 3 months and had to get off of it. My breasts got HUGE, I gained a ton of weight, fat deposits on the sides of my thighs that I have NEVER had before, my hair started falling out, I was depressed and weepy.....I stopped taking it over 2.5 months ago and I haven't had a period yet, nor have I lost any of the weight. Nothing changed in my diet or exercise habits while on the Yaz, so I know it was the BC.

My lab results also came back really crazy. They think I have hypothyroid now. I'll never take BC again.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:18 PM   #7
    chulzle
    (female)

chulzle HB User

MY HAIR HAS BEEN FALLING OUT LIKE CRAZY! I tested for hypothyroidism a few months ago and nothing came back....
    I tried to count one day how much fell out and i hopelessely counted 500 just from shower/after shower/drying my hair.
    I also wake up with about 50 strands of hair on my pillow every morning... this has been going on for about 4 months... i am really scared

Has anyone STOPPED their birth control and seen hair improvement ???????
    I am so depressed right now...

Old 06-27-2007, 12:41 PM   #8
    tandjsmom
    (female)

tandjsmom HB User

I wish I had some encouraging words - I know first hand how depressing this is. Last summer (ayear ago) I started to lose a lot of hair. I stopped Yasmin in 12/06 even though no dr believed it was the culprit. All tests came back great. I shed a lot everday till April. Then it slowed way down but I've been under a lot of stress and its getting up there again. ( I have a appt with a new derm 7/31 to get her opinion) My hair has thinned by at least 30 -40 % with the main concentration being along the hairline up top.
    There is so much info out there but I read somewhere that 6-9 months after your shed slows you should see regrowth. I do have a little now but not enough to make a difference. Many people advise going shorter and layered when you lose a lot of hair. And there is a product called Toppik that is supposed to work wonders. I can still hide my hairloss but that is the direction I will take if it gets any worse.
    Have your labs redone and try to take vitamins/ eat right. If it is TE from bc pill -it will grow back you just have to give it time. Good luck and feel better!

Old 06-28-2007, 11:13 AM   #9
    bordrgrl
    Inactive
    (female)

bordrgrl HB User

Hello from a pituitary patient! (Consistently high UFCs and serum cortisol, up and down prolactin). Any birth control pill can raise cortisol... but not by much. Sounds like you have some good doctors looking after you. Keep in mind that MRI's will not catch all pituitary microadenomas. Particularly in the case of Cushings, the adenomas are often too small to be seen. So stay on top of it, keep asking for 24 hr UFC tests, and if you have any questions, I'm going through it myself. High cortisol causes too many unpleasant things... hair loss, weight gain, acne, high blood pressure, bone density loss, depression, etc.

(oops didn't realize these posts were so old!)

Last edited by bordrgrl; 06-28-2007 at 11:14 AM.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:29 AM   #10
    the mad katter
    (female)

the mad katter HB User

Just wanted to chime in about the cortisol levels. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia a few years back. My cortisol was at 35 I believe? Anyway the technician was like, "Hey, um where you in 9/11?"
    I was thinking about this, I have had a severely stressful life and circumstance. I was diagnosed with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. My point is, is that have you eliminated any possibilities of psychiatric conditions? Sometimes they really really stimulate that "fight or flight" response...

Just letting you know what's up on my end...

Huge hugs and good positive energy to you my dear.

The Mad Katter
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-21-2007, 12:27 PM   #11
    bordrgrl
    Inactive
    (female)

bordrgrl HB User

35 is typically a very mild elevation (depending on the lab). Stress can mildly elevate cortisol. A good endocrinologist can distinguish between stress and a hormonal problem. Testing at certain times of the day (first thing in the morning, between 3 and 5, and at midnight) can reveal an abnormality.

Closed Thread