It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

Yasmin 28

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-06-2006, 02:19 PM   #1
shorty03906
(female)

shorty03906 HB User
Yasmin 28

I will be starting Yasmin tonight. Can anybody tell me anything about it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2006, 06:00 PM   #2
skipskicker
(female)

skipskicker HB User
Re: Yasmin 28

I would almost reccomend not researching yasmin , becuase there are soooo many people on it with a huge range of reactions. It's really a love hate relationship for most and it really depends on your body and what other drugs you may be on. and ofcourse the reason why-( like do you have PCOS, bad cramps, acne, for birth control, headeaches etc.....)

my best reccomendation would be to pay atttention to your body and note any major changes within the first 3months. your info packet should tell you some things you could expect like, nasuea, breast tenderness etc.

on a personal note, i went on yasmin a few years back to jump start my period after having lost it do to low body fat/weight. it worked awsome and i loved it! came on the same day ever month lasted about 3 days and was so light it was barley noticable. no skin problems, or problems with moods etc.
good luck! and keep us updated with your experiences!

Old 11-07-2006, 02:25 PM   #3
shorty03906
(female)

shorty03906 HB User

I am going to be taking yasmin for bloating. I have had headaches well migiraines when I was on depo and that is why I got off of that one. But now I am bloated so she deicied to put me on this one. I am also taking inderal at the same time for migiraines. Does anyone know how this will effect my bc?

Old 11-08-2006, 11:57 AM   #4
tUrRrRa
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I haven't heard of birth control being affected by any migraine medicine.. it should be okay but you can always ask your doctor just in case! I am on Yasmin and I don't get ANY cramps.. just like a mild stomach ache during that time of the month. I think I will bloat a little bit, but not a lot.. but that also deals with what I eat b/c usually I'll still eat salty foods, etc. I know some people where they will have to wear sweats and t-shirts when they are on their period and that doesn't happen to me with Yasmin at all. If anything, it's only on the first day, and then I forget I even have my period after that. It also makes mine lighter as well.

I am experiencing some mood problems, but it is possible that they started before taking Yasmin.. I'm trying to figure that out. My mom said she got mood swings from it, but she is also very sensitive to a lot of things. You just have to try it and see if it works for you. I almost don't want to change even with the mood swings b/c I'm so happy with everything else it does. I used to get sick every month on my period and now I never throw up anymore. Also, my friend is on ortho tricyclen and she says she doesn't know the day she will get her period, but on Yasmin it comes on the same day! I get mine even right when I wake up.. so it's pretty convenient!

Old 11-08-2006, 03:42 PM   #5
Rachelara

Rachelara HB User

I've been using Yasmin for about 1 year now and I haven't had any problems with it. Before Yasmin, my periods were awful, bad severe cramps for almost 3 days, long and heavy periods for about 8 or 9 days, bad PMS - would be real emotional and touchy about anything, and felt bloated too.
Now with Yasmin, I have almost no cramps - just 1/2 a day or so of slight stomach pain in which Motrin or Midol helps with. My periods are about 4 days in length of which just 2 days is a heavier flow, but not as heavy as before. I don't feel as irritable and emotional as before, which my husband is thankful for, and I don't feel bloated as much either. I also love the convenience of knowing what day my period is going to start and the day is should be gone. I also know that Yasmin is supposed to be a BCP that helps keep your skin from breaking out, which is why I requested it from my GYN. Before Yasmin, my face would break out with large hard cysts that hurt to the touch and it even hurt to lay the side of my face on my pillow at night, I would just cry, it hurt so bad. Since starting the pill, my face gets the occasional acne bump or two, but nothing like it was before. I highly recommend Yasmin, but like the previous poster said, every woman's body may react differently to it.
Good luck and keep us posted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
How you doin'?

Old 11-08-2006, 05:04 PM   #6
Ikkin1986
(female)

Ikkin1986 HB User

I'm on it right now, and I think the only problem I've had is a little weight gain--but that's also my fault because I'm not exercising as much as I should.

ANYWHO-I'm on it because I have severe cramps (to the point of vomiting), & found out that it's because I have PCOS, and now I can tolerate my cramps. My skin has also cleared up a little more.

OVERALL: I just feel a lot better during my period because of Yasmin.

Last edited by Ikkin1986; 11-08-2006 at 05:06 PM.

Old 11-08-2006, 05:37 PM   #7
shorty03906
(female)

shorty03906 HB User

Thank you all for your help. Im just on it to help with bloating, I really dont care about weight gain

Old 11-10-2006, 09:57 AM   #8
jen52983
Senior Veteran
(female)

jen52983 HB User

I've been using Yasmin for about 4 mnths now. I chose Yasmin to help with severe cramps, severe mood swings and depression. Yasmin has been great for me in every aspect. No weight gain, lessened my menstral breakouts, lessened my cravings for sweets, my cramps are minimal to non-existant, no bloating, no more achey back or legs. I barely experience any pms, at all. I get my period every 3rd white pill and it only lasts 4 days, like clock work. Most importantly, no more depression or mood swings.

I have mild breast tenderness during my period. I seem to have to use the bathroom more frequently, even though I've always seemed to have had a bladder the size of a pea! I've read though, that that is common. Because of the ingredient (which I don't remember the name) that decreases the water retention/bloating, it's likely to have to pee more!
After having read about woman loosing their hair b/c of their BC, I'm being to get paranoid about Yasmin's effects on my hair. I tend to "shed" anyway.. so I really think (hope) I am just worrying over nothing.

The biggest draw back to Yasmin, for me, has been the cost. My insurance barely covers it, so I pay $50.00 a month. It sucks, but considering all it's helped with, it seems worth the price.

All woman react differently to BCs. I suggest just paying attention to your body. Give the pill at least 3 mths for your body to fully adjust to the medication. I hope your experience with it has been as satisfactory as mine. Good luck!

Old 11-10-2006, 04:28 PM   #9
tUrRrRa
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Yikes I had never heard of hair loss being a side effect of birth control. Does this happen with Yasmin or only different pills? Sadly I wouldn't mind to lose some hair.. I feel like mine is too thick anyway and I'm always getting it thinned out. I don't think this is TOO common though b/c nobody I know on birth control pills has had this happen.

Old 11-13-2006, 03:21 PM   #10
shorty03906
(female)

shorty03906 HB User

[QUOTE=jen52983]I've been using Yasmin for about 4 mnths now. I chose Yasmin to help with severe cramps, severe mood swings and depression. Yasmin has been great for me in every aspect.[QUOTE=jen52983]

My question for you is I am taking Inderal and I feel depressed on that, do you think by me taking yasmin at the same time as inderal it will cancel out the depression?

Old 11-13-2006, 07:13 PM   #11
skipskicker
(female)

skipskicker HB User

I hear that your main concern with a pill is to help with bloating. well yasmin has DRSP, which is a dieuretic and can help with that, but i am kind of thrown off by your response of you dont care about gaining weight. you just want it for bloating... so you dont care if you acutally get "fatter" you just dont want to feel fatter? bloating is the retention of fluids in your body, which basically swells and can make you feel fatter etc, and even temporarily bigger due to the swells. but with water drinking and watching sodium that can help, and the drsp will to. but i think its wierd that you wouldnt care if yasmin made you gain 20 pounds- you just dont want to be bloated?!

and as for your other drugs that your taking and wondering if it will help with your depression- i would totally consult your physician before you start mixing drugs- expecially a birth control pill witch deals with your hormones- and we all know about being hormonal

Last edited by skipskicker; 11-13-2006 at 07:14 PM.

Old 11-14-2006, 09:24 AM   #12
babygirl2005_21
Senior Veteran
(female)

babygirl2005_21 HB User

I have been on Yasmin for about 2 years now. I haven't really had any side effects except I have no sex drive! But no weight gain and any other pill I have been on made me gain like 10-20 lbs.! I really love Yasmin for that reason it actually made me lose weight because of the DRSP which is a form of a diuretic. As far as skin I used to get cysts too but Yasmin has helped with that. I still breakout but not any where near what I used to.

Old 11-14-2006, 09:39 AM   #13
jen52983
Senior Veteran
(female)

jen52983 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tUrRrRa
Yikes I had never heard of hair loss being a side effect of birth control. Does this happen with Yasmin or only different pills? Sadly I wouldn't mind to lose some hair.. I feel like mine is too thick anyway and I'm always getting it thinned out. I don't think this is TOO common though b/c nobody I know on birth control pills has had this happen.
I had never heard of hair loss as a side effect either until reading through some of the posts. Of course I became paranoid that mine was thinning! I posted a thread "Hair Loss Clarification" where the ladies there helped me understand how to tell if this is happening to you, and maybe why. Some BCs lower Zinc in your body which could lead to hair loss. One way to help this problem is to take Zinc vitamins.

Old 11-14-2006, 09:46 AM   #14
jen52983
Senior Veteran
(female)

jen52983 HB User

[QUOTE=shorty03906][QUOTE=jen52983]I've been using Yasmin for about 4 mnths now. I chose Yasmin to help with severe cramps, severe mood swings and depression. Yasmin has been great for me in every aspect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen52983

My question for you is I am taking Inderal and I feel depressed on that, do you think by me taking yasmin at the same time as inderal it will cancel out the depression?
That's something you would really have to discuss with your doctor. Tell your doctor that Inderal is making you depressed. Maybe there is another medication you can be perscribed, then you wouldn't have to take numerous medications. But it can't hurt to mention Yasmin to your Gyno and see what the Dr's oppinion is.

A few years ago, I was about 16, 23 now, my Gyno put me on Yasmin for the symptoms I mentioned. She told me that Yasmin is suppose to balance out the hormones during your pms and period. I only stopped them then, because at the time I couldn't afford them. My new gyno put me back on them since I did well on them before.

Good luck.

Old 11-14-2006, 10:53 AM   #15
shorty03906
(female)

shorty03906 HB User

What I meant is I would rather gain weight than feel bloated. If that makes sense.

Closed Thread