It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

from ortho tri cyclen lo to something new?!?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-06-2006, 04:15 PM   #1
honeybuns
(female)

honeybuns HB User
from ortho tri cyclen lo to something new?!?

About a year ago I started on Ortho Evra patch, and in the first 3 months of having it I put on about 10-15lbs, so my doctor switched me to Ortho Tri-Cyclen-Lo. The weight went back to normal, but my sex drive disappeared. I'm in a long distance relationship with my boyfriend, so I rarely get to see him and then when we're together, I never want to have sex. So I talked to my doctor today about switching to something that might make me want to have sex again. I haven't yet gotten my prescription, I am going to call back when I make up my mind, but she highly recommended NuvaRing. The other option she gave me was Loestrin Fe 1/20, or one of the generic brands for it. Has anyone ever used any of the generic brands for Loestrin Fe 1/20? They are Junel Fe1/20 and Microgestin Fe 1/20. And also has anyone had the same experiences w/ me with the Ortho Evra and Ortho Tri Cyclen-Lo? I am trying to figure out what will be the best for me, I can not gain weight, but I'd really like to actually WANT to have sex!! Please leave anything! It will all help in my decision making process.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2006, 12:22 AM   #2
~Jessi~
(female)

~Jessi~ HB User
Re: from ortho tri cyclen lo to something new?!?

I had similar effects with Ortho Tri Cyclen (not Lo) with loss of sex drive. And I know several people who have gained weight on various forms. But I have heard *tons* of good feedback about the Ring. Even die hard pill fans are beginning to switch because it's so liked....and I haven't heard major negative side effects like with the Shot or Patch. I can't help you any with the Loestrin, though.

Old 11-07-2006, 06:31 AM   #3
Kszan
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

I hate to break it to you, but it's going to be really hard to find a pill that doesn't kill your sex drive. Also, the ring has been known to do that as well. Any hormonal method of birth control has the potential to cause you weight gain and kill your sex drive, because of the hormones in the pill.

I used microgestin for a while and it was just more of the same stuff. They're all the same thing, as far as I could tell, none of them over the 15 years I was on the pill ever made any difference. They all killed my sex drive and they all made me gain weight. I've been a lot happier person since I quit taking the pill all together, I'll tell you that much. I personally don't reccommend any hormonal birth control to any woman, because I know first hand what kind of damage it can do to a woman's body. It's just not worth it in my opinion.

Old 05-12-2007, 03:41 PM   #4
Nicky927
(female)

Nicky927 HB User

I started out on Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo about 4 years ago. I didn't really like it due to a few side effects, so I switched to Nuva Ring. I had that for about 6 months and switched back due to low sex drive, and It made me have discharge. I switched back to the OTC Lo, and was on that for 6 months up until recently. I had the worst symptoms on it. Weight gain (10-15lbs, depression, cup size increse, moodiness, VERY low sex drive). I just got back from my exam today and I was put on Microgestin Fe (Loestrin Fe), which is a lower dose so it should help with those side effects. GL with whatever you choose, its kinda a hit and miss process I think lol. :P

Old 05-12-2007, 05:45 PM   #5
annieconstance
(female)

annieconstance HB User

hmm well I was on junel 1/20 fe and it really didnt help at all with my sex drive it really made it drop big time, and this coming from someone who is active all the time...isn't good! My boyfriend is also far away and whenever I saw him I wasn't in the mood...so I wouldn't suggest junel 1/20 but its different for everyone I guess ( i just got put on trisprintec or whatever, the generic for OTL.......so we'll see) keep us informed!!

Old 05-13-2007, 10:34 AM   #6
kittywitty
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

I did good on Ovcon-35, no weight gain and I still had a sex drive.

Closed Thread