It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• Quitting the pill after 7 years

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-16-2006, 02:53 AM   #1
    janie707
    (female)

janie707 HB User
    Quitting the pill after 7 years

Hello,
    I am new here. I have been on the pill for about 7 years now and I am ready to quit! I have gained alot of weight and I have no libido anymore which is not so great for my hubby. I am really hoping that if I get off the pill my sex drive will come back, and if I lost some weight too that'd be great! I'm kinda scared about quitting though. I just know I will break out really bad and my periods will be pretty heavy again.. I guess it is worth it though. Is anyone here using the LadyComp? It is reaaaaally expensive but I am thinking about it. For now, we will use condoms until I choose another method. Does condom breakage occur often? I hope not.. What are your experiences with quitting birth control?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2006, 06:52 AM   #2
    bfcf88
    Inactive
    (female)

bfcf88 HB User
    Re: Quitting the pill after 7 years

I went off the pill in July, My husband had a vasectomy and I am 35. I can say I never had orgasms until I went off the pill. The first couple of months was different, my face and back broke out, but I found that using caldadry (used for poison ivy) works really well. Just hang in there the sex drive will kick in, just give it a little time.

Old 12-16-2006, 07:24 AM   #3
    StenoLady1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Hey, that libido's there for you, too, not just your hubby!

I quit the pill this past March due to it destroying my libido, had been on various pills for 20 years.

Libido came back pretty quick, I'd say over the course of weeks, not months. My face didn't break out nearly as bad as I thought it would. I get one nasty pimple right before Aunt Flow. I'm talking a pimple the size of Connecticut, but as long as I don't mess with it, it's gone by the time AF is gone.

My periods have been mild, actually, and much better and shorter than being on the pill. Ovulation is interesting, tho. That was something I didn't experience on the pill.

PMS is gone being off the pill.

As for BC off the pill, we tried condoms, but DH had trouble keeping his erection with them on. We just did oral and toys for the most part until his vasectomy. It was just so nice being horny again, I didn't really care what we did in the bedroom, LOL.

Best of luck!

Old 12-17-2006, 01:13 AM   #4
    janie707
    (female)

janie707 HB User

Thanks for your replies! I'm excited and scared at the same time!

Old 12-17-2006, 06:54 AM   #5
    jrebecc
    (female)

jrebecc HB User

I have been off the pill for almost 2 months now. I have alwyas had problems with acne and it has flared up again, but I am hoping that it will calm down soon. My sex drive is awsome and I get lubricated so much more than I did when I was on the pill. I have had one period since which was light and not bad at all. I was on it for about 6 and a half years.
    We are using condoms which are not as bad as I thought they would be. They make really thin latex ones now that do not smell very bad at all. I am very happy about my decision to get off the pill, even with the pimples!
    Good luck!

Old 12-20-2006, 01:22 PM   #6
    livinTX
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

livinTX HB User

I quit the pill after 7 years as well in June. The first couple of months off the pill, I had constant backaches, cramps and nausea. Now that's all gone except the nausea. I have nausea every month from cycle day 1 until I ovulate. Then the nausea goes away.

The best thing about it is my sex drive is back, especially around the time I ovulate! Plus, I get my natural arousal fluid again which makes sex nicer. My husband and I have been using condoms during my fertile time without any problems or any breakage. The main thing I think is that he buys condoms that are the right size, that they are put on properly and that they have not expired. I also feel more comfortable sticking to well known brand names of condoms like Trojan. We're actually doing FAM (fertility awareness method) and using condoms until I ovulate then no condoms after ovulation until my period. I've been charting basal body temperatures and am confident in detecting once I have ovulated.

Plus, my mood improved HUGELY, the crying and anxiety and mood swings went away within a few weeks. I had been thinking I must have a serious mental illness, but it turned out to be all the pill!

I've had some breakouts but it hasn't been that bad. I have found using the Olay Regenerist system on my skin has helped it quite a bit.

Since stopping the pill, I've also had very light periods. This is not normal for me, and I expect they will get heavier as time goes on...I suppose it's nice for now although I think these light periods are causing me to hang on to the water weight gain I got caused by the pill. Slowly though the water retention is showing some improvement. I've lost about 5 lb. (though it looks more like 10 lb. because I was super puffy looking beforehand).

Old 12-20-2006, 02:22 PM   #7
    LesaS
    (female)

LesaS HB User

Can I ask what BCP you are/were on? I'm currently on Zovia 35 and I plan on going off after this pack and I'm curious to know what side effects will happen-can anyone answer?

My BCP is low dose but I hear different things all the time about side effects to weight gain/loose, mood swings, acne, etc. I was told to take a supplement called evening prim rose to help with the mood swings. I just hope it will be easier to loose some weight! Best of luck!

Old 12-20-2006, 09:25 PM   #8
    janie707
    (female)

janie707 HB User

I was on Alesse. I have been off for 4 days so far and no problems yet. I mainly quit because of the weight gain and loss of libido. I really hope it comes back cuz it hasn't been easy on my marriage.

Closed Thread