It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

Should I come off my pill?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-19-2006, 09:44 AM   #1
Monkeyboots
(female)

Monkeyboots HB User
Should I come off my pill?

HI

Am hoping some of you may be able to enlighten me. One question is: I'm on loestrin pill, low oestrogen, does this mean my natural levels of oestrogen might be lower than normal too?

I have developed some skin problems in the last year involving dry and itchy skin I know low oestrogen levels can cause dryness and this is usually a problem for women approaching the menopause. (I am only 31) Is it possible that this pill has caused this? I very rarely have a period which I know is common with this pill. Recently I have become a bit paranoid that my hair looks a bit thinner at the hairline too.

I am seriously considering coming off but would like your opinions or knowledge. I have been on this pill for about 6 years or more. It has been good in many ways but I am worried about this.

thanks for reading
best wishes
Monkeyboots.x

Last edited by Monkeyboots; 12-19-2006 at 09:45 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2006, 01:28 PM   #2
skipskicker
(female)

skipskicker HB User
Re: Should I come off my pill?

did you mean your on a low estrogen pill, called low ogestrel(the generic of lo ovral)? because their is a new super low dose pill called loestrin 24 fe(only 20 mg estrogen), but that definatily has not been out for 6 years
i am on low ogestrel which is the estrogen level equvalent to those of yasmin, which is about (30-35 mg).
anyways, usually if you dont have engouh estrogen you will spot, becuase that is the one that keeps your lining intact. so i would guess that your fine. it is winter with dry skinand all, i notice mine is much drier too. being on hormones for a long time can cause thining in some women, espically with low androgen levels in pills. (low ogestrel acutally has one of the highest levels of androgen, so hair growth acutally occurs- well things like mustaches lol anyways. but you can also have it reverse. it depends on your body)

i would talk to the gyno. if you think your body is no longer agreeing with the pill or the adverse side effects are really bothering you, then i would definatlay consult your gyno.

hopefully some others will respond, because i know hair loss is a big issue hear, lots of paranoia! lol
anyways best of luck!

Old 12-20-2006, 04:04 AM   #3
Monkeyboots
(female)

Monkeyboots HB User

hi skipskicker,

Thanks for your reply I really appreciated it. Yes I am on Loestrin 30. I was just wondering whether being on the pill would deplete my estrogen levels? I have some discolouration of pigment on my skin which I know can be pill induced too.

take care
Monkeyboots.x

Old 12-20-2006, 06:41 AM   #4
Bracelet
Inactive
(female)

Bracelet HB User

The pill overloads you with estrogen, not the other way around. What the pill does is it completely depletes your body's nutrients while you're on it, which is what causes majority of the side effects that women experience. Your body's levels of zinc, magnesium, b-complex and some others are drastically low while you're on the pill. It is highly reccommended that you supplement those while on the pill.

Additionally, your body's levels of copper are drastically increased, which also causes a lot of the side effects to occur.

I did not stay on the pill, and I'm really happy with my decision. I'm not sure why so many women are so worried about quitting. It was probably one of the best things I've done for myself this year.

Closed Thread