It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

Breakthrough bleeding...

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-22-2006, 06:15 AM   #1
InDueTime05
Senior Veteran
(female)

InDueTime05 HB User
Breakthrough bleeding...

I just started taking Yasmin last month. I finish my first pack tomorrow. So far no bad side effects. Well, I was suppose to start my period on this coming Sunday. I am normally very very regular. I am on BC because I am getting married in June and we want to wait on the kids for awhile. Well, on Tuesday night I was out shopping and I started what I thought was my period. I called my doctor to see what I do with the remaining pills and the nurse told me it was probably not my period but breakthrough bleeding. Normally my period is from 5 - 6 days well today would be day 4 and I am barely bleeding. So was this my period OR will I start again on Sunday??? I am going out of town next week and I was excited I started early but now I am wondering what my body is doing.
Brandon James 5/11/99 @ 4:48pm
Jade Elizabeth 6/7/05 @ 7:41pm

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2006, 08:37 AM   #2
Bracelet
Inactive
(female)

Bracelet HB User
Re: Breakthrough bleeding...

You just started taking it, so your body hasn't had a chance to adjust to the drugs yet. There is an adjustment period of at least 3 months (possibly more) before your body has had a chance to adjust to it. The bleeding you experienced is most likely just breakthrough bleeding, and nothing to be concerned about.

You should get your withdrawal bleed as soon as you end the pack. The period that you get while on a birth control pill is not a real period, it's a drug-induced withdrawal bleed, which occurs when you abruptly stop taking the active pills and start taking the placebos. The withdrawal bleed can occur any time during that week that you are on placebos, it doesn't necessarily have to happen right away.

That being said, however, some women experience a total loss of bleed whatsoever, and usually it happens with the new Loestrin24fe. But I have also read on other message boards that Yasmin has been known to also cause women to not have a bleed. Why? I'm not sure because I can't remember what the consensus was on it, but I know it happens to some women.

If you continue to experience breakthrough bleeding a lot during your active pills, then you'll have to get a higher dose pill, because a lower dose pill isn't working for you.

Old 12-22-2006, 01:18 PM   #3
InDueTime05
Senior Veteran
(female)

InDueTime05 HB User

Well, I am actually on the white pills now. I started them on Sunday and on Tuesday night I started what I thought was my period but here I am on day four and it is very light. Normally, on day four I am bleeding medium. So I am wondering if I am on my period or just breakthrough bleeding. I was suppose to start this Sunday, December 24. May God gave me a early Christmas present haha since I am going out of town next Wednesday.

Old 12-22-2006, 07:24 PM   #4
novmom
(female)

novmom HB User

I'm not too familiar w/ Yasmin, but I'm assuming the white pills are the placebo pills. That's the week that you are suppose to have your period. Like the above poster said....basically its just a withdrawl bleeding.

I'm on Ovcon35. I start my first white pill (placebo pill) on Sunday. Its not until Wednesday until my period starts. I have the a very very VERY light period Wed thru Fri, Sat I take my last placebo pill and then I start my new pack.

When I'm not on the pill, I have extremely heavy periods for 7 days. So basically I'm trying to say that the pill will make your period very different than it was before.

Bleeding during the colored pills, is breakthru bleeding. Bleeding on the placebo pills is a "period".

Boy, I hope that makes sense.... lol

Oh, also...if you start a new pack on Sunday, you shouldn't have a period next week.
3 yr old daughter

Last edited by novmom; 12-22-2006 at 07:27 PM.

Old 12-22-2006, 08:11 PM   #5
InDueTime05
Senior Veteran
(female)

InDueTime05 HB User

Thank you that makes perfect sense. The white pills are the "inactive" pills. So I guess I am on my period. VERY happy I am not going to be on it next week.

Closed Thread