It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

Stopping BCP

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-26-2006, 11:59 AM   #1
JMB26344
(female)

JMB26344 HB User
Stopping BCP

Okay, here is my situation:

I start taking my BCP's on the first Sunday after my period. I take Yasmin. If my boyfriend and I have sex on the next Monday and then breakup, how long do I need to keep taking my pill to be safe from getting pregnant. Example: I take Day 1, 2, 3. (We had sex on day 2 of the pill). How many additional days do I need to take? Do I need to finish the pack? Just a couple more days? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2006, 03:10 PM   #2
Thisby
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User
Re: Stopping BCP

In order to prevent pregnancy, you should continue to take them for about 5-6 more days, but you will probably mess up your cycle if you just stop mid-pack. You really should finish up the pack.

Old 12-26-2006, 03:43 PM   #3
deegale
(female)

deegale HB User

Why would you stop taking them. If your sexually active and dont want to become pregnant why wouldnt you continue taking them? If you and your boyfriend break up are you going to stop having sex altogether/forever? Remember this only helps prevent pregnancy you still need to protect yourself from STD's.

Old 12-26-2006, 04:48 PM   #4
livinTX
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User

I agree with the PP...probably taking them another week or so. Sperm can survive in fertile cervical fluid for up to 5 days. The pill tends to dry out cervical fluid, so you will most likely not have fertile cervical fluid to start with, but just to be safe, I'd take the pill at least 5 more days. You most likely will not ovulate immediately after stopping the pill, probably it will take 2 weeks or so, but just in case.

By the way, stopping the pill period can cause your cycle to be off a little, no matter when you stop. I stopped the pill mid-pack and my next period came at 35 days later (counting from the first day of the withdrawal bleed, which you probably will have 3-5 days after stopping the pill). So don't freak out if your first period off the pill is a bit late or if you get symptoms such as nausea, cramping, bloating. Those are pregnancy symptoms, but they are also side effects of stopping the pill.

Closed Thread