It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• The Pill and extended usage.....??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-02-2007, 12:10 AM   #1
    Janster
    (female)

Janster HB User
    The Pill and extended usage.....??

I'll fess up...... I started taking the pill when I was 24 years old - that was 15 years ago.

I haven't had any children and my husband and I are just living life together without any thoughts of having any.

I don't have any problems associated with taking the pill. I'm as regular as regular gets and my periods last max of 3 days (LOVE IT!!!) with no unusual side affects. Perhaps a headache from time to time... I don't necessarily want to stop taking it either. I hate the thought of getting off of it - not knowing how my body will react.

There's always been a concern in the back of my mind....

Is it bad or harmful to continue taking the pill for long term usage - such as 15 years? Or is it harmless? Or even better yet good for you? (laugh)

Any thoughts or expertise would be appreciatted! Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2007, 02:26 PM   #2
    lylone
    Veteran
    (female)

lylone HB User
    Re: The Pill and extended usage.....??

According to my OB/GYN the BCPs today there is no need to take a break off of them. I have been on mine for 17 years, but different brands. I am currently on Aviane/Alesse and my GYN says there is no need to take a break. Some of my friends who have been on them for long periods of time have had probems conceiving a child after being on the pill for so long.
    I would ask your doctor about the type you are on to be sure.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:10 PM   #3
    Janster
    (female)

Janster HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lylone View Post
    According to my OB/GYN the BCPs today there is no need to take a break off of them. I have been on mine for 17 years, but different brands. I am currently on Aviane/Alesse and my GYN says there is no need to take a break. Some of my friends who have been on them for long periods of time have had probems conceiving a child after being on the pill for so long.
    I would ask your doctor about the type you are on to be sure.
    Thanks for the reply!

I'm not worried so much about having children - so I guess I'm more worried about other types of medical malfunctions (laugh) like cancer and/or other things.

The 'regular doctor' I talk to (and maybe that's my problem) never really says much about the concerns of long term usage. They simply ask me to 'persue' other methods of birth control. (snip snip)

I can only imagine coming off the pill - I'd probably trurn into a raging lunatic!

Last edited by Janster; 02-06-2007 at 11:14 PM.

Old 02-07-2007, 05:10 AM   #4
    Kszan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

The longer you stay on the pill, the greater your chances of developing issues down the road. It's actually not as safe as they keep telling you it is. You have to understand that doctors are given special perks by pharmaceutical companies to push their meds on patients, and that's why they keep trying to force patients into taking these things.

The fact is, the pill depletes many of the body's essential vitamins and nutrients, and since majority of women don't supplement with additional vitamins, they start having problems. You're probably already having problems but you just don't realize that it's due to the pill. Anything resembling weight gain, moodiness, depression, hair loss, lack of sex drive, anxiety, and a host of other problems are due to the pill depleting the body's necessary nutrients to prevent those things from happening.

Also your risk of breast and ovarian cancer is higher on the pill, because a lot of women develop PCOS as a result of using the pill. PCOS is a terrible price to pay for being on the pill.

I think it's best for you to do some research on your own on long term safety studies on women who use the pill. You can start by searching for articles by Ellen Grant MD, who is a doctor in the UK who discovered the vitamin defiency caused by the pill is responsible for all of the problems I listed above.

It's your own choice, but the more I started reading about what the pill ACTUALLY does to your body (the fact that it binds to the cellular level making it very hard to detox from it), the more determined I was to quit, and furthermore to tell other women that it's not a safe drug as the doctors would lead you to believe.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:19 PM   #5
    lylone
    Veteran
    (female)

lylone HB User

I actually recently tried coming off the pill, and developed a cyst and had a horrible painful period. I came off because I was afraid of blood clots since I am over 35 and hearing about problems with being on the pill. I was in horrible pain and bled like a running faucet. My anxiety, panic attacks and even SVTs went crazy! I went back on after 3 months because I could not work or even leave the house because of the anxiety and flow.

Both my mom and my sister had endremtriosis after having children and both ended up having to have their ovaries removed and were both in a lot of pain beforehand and don't want to end up like them.

I have read that as long as I stay on the pill I don't ovulate, and won't have issues with cysts and etc. Plus I am on a low dosage pill, which does not have the high risk factors of the ones that have higher hormones. I am also not that interested in having children.

I also do take quite a few vitamins and I would rather do that than be in pain I was in six months ago!

Janster, I would maybe ask for a referral to an OB/GYN or a nurse practictioner and highly reccommend a female one. I am much more at ease speaking to females than males. They also seem to give you more information than a male does.

Last edited by lylone; 02-07-2007 at 04:20 PM.

Old 02-08-2007, 08:00 AM   #6
    younggranny
    Veteran
    (female)

younggranny HB User

I have the same concerns as you. I started the pill at age 29 and have been on for 18 years. I was put on the pill for hormonal reasons. I am now starting perimenopause and wondering if this is the time to get off or continue taking them. I heard the pill is suppose to help with perimenopause symptoms. But like you i worry about breast cancer. I did hear that the pill is suppose to help with not getting ovarian cancer. Also my daughter has pcos and her doctor put her on birth control pills to help with all the pcos symptoms. Just lots of questions and few answers...

Old 02-10-2007, 12:09 AM   #7
    durzia
    Inactive
    (female)

durzia HB User

I was on the pill for ten years and decided to go off of it to give my body a break, which is what I thought it needed, BIG mistake! To make a long story short, I was off the pill for about ten months, got my period only twice within that time and developed a large ovarian cyst the size of a softball. The cyst was so large that it had to be removed by laparotomy when my ob/gyn originally thought they could do laparoscopy. They also had to remove almost all of my left ovary. I was in the hospital for three days and couldn't do anything for about two months. I have a six inch scar across the top of my bikini line that is still healing (numb and tender -- surgery was on Sept. 8, 2006). I have been on Loestrin24 since last May and don't think I'll be going of BC again! I've been having small pains again on my left side and am afraid I am developing another cyst. I always wish I had never gone off the pill in the first place and had talked to my doctor to switch me to another one. If your family has a history with ovarian cysts, I strongly urge you to not go off the pill until you talk to your doctor first or at least get a second opinion!

Old 02-10-2007, 01:47 AM   #8
    littleninja
    (female)

littleninja HB User

Doctors usually don't recommend using the pill after age 35 because it increases your risk of getting blood clots and certain cancers. It may also contribute to developing high blood pressure at this age.

I turned 39 in December so, of course, I was concerned about continuing the pill. I returned to college last year. I recently completed a human sexuality class. I asked my professor if she thought I was taking a risk by continuing the pill at this age. She said emphatically "yes, you're taking a huge risk". She said it helps to know your family history, but she thought I was taking a risk by continuing the pill at the age of 38 (I was 38 when I had her class).

I'm certainly no expert in this area - I only took the class because it was an easy A. But, I trust her judgement.

I quit the pill October 2006. I've always been horribly irregular with heavy bleeding, so I relied on the pill to regulate me and give me normal periods off and on for many years. I was worried that those horribly painful and irregular periods would return once I quit the pill. So far I've been ok on both ends.

Exercise helps to regulate you somewhat. I've gotten back to exercising on a regular basis and so far so good.

I'm also beginning perimenopause - I've had a couple of hot flashes and a little bit of chills here and there.

You really have to think seriously about whether the benefits are worth the risk with the pill, especially now.

The lowest effective dose of anything is always the best way to go; so, if you continue the pill, definitely take the lowest effective dose possible. Ask other doctors their opinions and do as much research as you possibly can. I think the dosage that is used to control menopausal symptoms may be lower than the dosage used to prevent unwanted pregnancies, but I'm not sure.

Birth control pills seem to be a "work in progress", so I don't think you're going to find concrete answers anywhere yet; but it's still a good idea to do research and learn as much as possible about this.

I quit the pill because I felt it was the right thing for my body and for my life.

My advice to you is to do the right thing for your body and for your life as well, whatever that is.

I've begun using condoms and spermicidal foam as my birth control method. Using these two together is a pretty effective method of birth control, if used properly and consistently. My husband doesn't like condoms (big surprise, right? ), but he'll have to get over it. I'm not too crazy about them either, but I don't want a kid right now.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Old 02-10-2007, 07:10 AM   #9
    Janster
    (female)

Janster HB User

Thanks Everyone!
    I'm just not sure what to do -atleast not yet. Some of you have had issues when you stopped - and that's exactly what I'm afraid of.....Perhaps I find an OBY for my yearly exams and go from there. I'm a healthy person with very low blood pressure and I do take supplements regularly. I get a lot of exercise at work and trying to start a regimen at home. My cholesterol could use some help - at 208 and I don't smoke. There's no history of cancer in my family. The only thing I'm aware of, is my sister had lumps (non cancerous) removed from her breasts years ago. The only problems I've had in the past was due to a golfball sized - (damn!! can't think of the name!). I had a D&C procedure to clean out the ol' plumbing and they discovered and removed it. I used to take Ortho Novum 1/35 for years and my doctor switched me to Necon 1/35 when I was having those above problems.

I guess there's no real history or information whether its harmful or not. I've been hearing mostly good things about staying on it so far with only minimal negatives. I'll keep researching.....

Thanks! And keep the thoughts coming!

Old 02-10-2007, 02:06 PM   #10
    durzia
    Inactive
    (female)

durzia HB User

I was also on Ortho Novum 1/35 for the ten years I was on the pill before I decided to take myself off. I took myself off because the pill didn't seem to be working well with my body chemistry anymore (very low libido, moodiness, bad cramps, mild depression now that I look back). I was just turning 30 when I stopped taking Ortho Novum. If I'm not mistaken, Necon 1/35 is the generic substitute for Ortho Novum (thats what Walgreens would give me in place of the Ortho Novum because I guess Ortho Novum is one of the most expensive pills on the market; my ob/gyn would also give me samples of both depending on what they had at the office at the time).

I am now 31 and have been on Loestrin24Fe for almost a year now. My doctor thinks this is the best pill for me at this stage in my life because she said women should not be off the hormone pill for a whole week, its too long of a time period, so with this pill you are on 24 and off 4. So far so good, I really like this pill for me!

I am a little concerned about a few years from now though because of the ovarian cysts and having to be on the pill to help control them. My husband and I do not want children so if worse comes to worse then I would be ok if they had to take out my right ovary and whats left of my left ovary. My biggest fear is ovarian cancer because its so hard to detect until its in advanced stages. They say its uncommon, but anything can happen to anyone, IMO.

The best thing you can do is find a doctor you feel you can trust and who is tailored to your needs. I've also had luck talking with a D.O., those doctors really know their stuff! I see one in conjunction with my ob/gyn for blood work, physicals, ect, just because most really good ob/gyn offices (especially here in Chicago) are so busy that its nearly impossible to get an appt or a phone call where you're not rushed to speak when the dr. finally has time to call you back!

Old 02-10-2007, 02:28 PM   #11
    durzia
    Inactive
    (female)

durzia HB User

Janster,

Not to get off subject, but for your cholesterol try this supplement (its all natural):

[deleted]

I also have high cholesterol. Mine was 145 last I was checked (before I started taking the Tonalin). For me its a hereditary thing. I eat healthy, excercise, don't smoke, don't drink that often, so my results were very shocking when I got them. I go back in to my D.O. within the next few weeks to get re-checked so I'm hoping mine has gone down since taking this supplement. I also try to follow the American Heart Association diet as best as I can. I love food so I cheat a lot when going out to dinner, but overall I eat a low-sodium, low-fat, low-sugar diet.

[deleted]

I have friends with high cholesterol who also take it and upon their bloodwork results were told that it has changed their body chemistry for the better and their cholesterol has gone way down. They have gotten amazing results - every single one of them! My mom too, who suffers from high blood pressure, among other things. Her doctors even asked her what she has been doing/what has she changed because everything looked so great. Basically the tonalin helps break down fats, so its good for weight loss too, but I use it for the cholesterol and to avoid having to take lipitor anytime soon!

Last edited by Mo-S4; 02-11-2007 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Posting commercial web sites is against the posting rules.

Closed Thread