It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• Nuvaring Clarification

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-07-2007, 07:19 AM   #1
    AMansMan08
    (male)

AMansMan08 HB User
    Nuvaring Clarification

I have read quite a bit about the Nuvaring online b/c this is the method of birth control my girl and I are using. The information they provide is VERY vague. I am in law school and perfectly competent at reading and understanding the information. However, I would like some clarification from any resident "expert." Her doctor told her that it was effective after 1 month of use. Online material says it is effective after 7 days upon firt use. I imagine the doctor is just being safe, but I would like reassurance. Also, is the ring effective during the week it is taken out for period purposes? Official information does not state explicityly. It only says that you receive 4 weeks of protections. It is hard to imagine that the period week (week 4) is safe when during the first 3 weeks, a 3 hour lapse in use reuslts in loss of protection. It makes me on easy to ejaculate inside of my girl, but she likes it more than pulling out. I ejaculated in her on day 6 of the 4th week after she had just finished menstrating. Any elaboration or information is useful. Thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2007, 10:29 PM   #2
    LadyMirabelle
    (female)

LadyMirabelle HB User
    Re: Nuvaring Clarification

I'm not an expert, but I have done some reading up on NuvaRing, as I almost went on it about 9months ago.

The doctor is just being safe in his reccomendation, but with the NuvaRing more than most birth control methods, it is best to be safe and wait the first month; to be sure she is using it properly, see how her period is on it, etc. All combined hormonal birth control methods (pill, patch, ring) are effective during their "break" periods, if during the month they are taken properly. The reason is because the dosing schedule allows enough hormones to be in the system to prevent a woman from ovulating during her week off.

I don't know if you downloaded the "patient prescribing information" on the NuvaRing website, but it does state that you are at risk for pregnacy only if you insert a new ring after the seven day break prescribed. If you were not able to have safe-sex during the off-week, it would definitely be all over the website and the patient information... because it would be a HUGE liability.

Old 02-08-2007, 08:40 AM   #3
    AMansMan08
    (male)

AMansMan08 HB User
    Re: Nuvaring Clarification

You mean you are at risk upon first use of the ring for 7 days. After a completed cycle and a 7 day break, the insertion of a new ring should continue protection. Right?

Closed Thread